Taylor Price in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of reasons he wasn't active:
1. Wasn't a top-2 WR
2. Third WR was KR
3. Fourth WR was PR
4. No need for more than 4 active WRs in a 2 TE offense

I think he has to get up to the #3 WR spot to get active next season. Otherwise, Edelman's PR and 4th receiver duties are of more value than Price's 4th receiver duties.

Right. At this point, we are in the same situation next year with all the same WRs under contract. How is Price going to break into the starting lineup? Tate and Edelman seem locked in as KR and PR. Branch, Welker, and the TEs aren't going anywhere. I'd love to see Price make it out onto the field, but unless (barring injury) he can beat out Branch it's not looking good for next year either.

Right. At this point, we are in the same situation next year with all the same WRs under contract. How is Price going to break into the starting lineup? Tate and Edelman seem locked in as KR and PR. Branch, Welker, and the TEs aren't going anywhere. I'd love to see Price make it out onto the field, but unless (barring injury) he can beat out Branch it's not looking good for next year either.

I don't know about that. They were both pretty crappy in the last playoff game. If one from Tate, Edelman, or Price can gain Brady's trust there is no reason why they shouldn't play over Welker / Branch. They're younger, faster, and stronger. Anyone else just shake their head when Branch slides or falls to avoid contact? I still think the Branch pickup was a good move for a fourth. But hopefully these younger guys can really push for their starting jobs.

Last edited:
He is too tall to be a Patriots receiver at 6-2.

I'm not a big combine guy but I thought these numbers were interesting.

Agility Tests

Campus: 4.26 in the 40-yard dash (hand-held)...4.33 40-yard dash (electronic)...1.46 10-yard dash... 2.50 20-yard dash...4.16 20-yard shuttle...10.91 60-yard shuttle...6.68 three-cone drill... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump...10'0" broad jump...Bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times..

and then I looked at this...

NFL Events: Combine Top Performers

Not sure why some of the above numbers are missing, but for this past year's draft, his 40 would have been #1, 3-cone #2, #1 60 yd shuttle, #6 in 20 yd shuttle.

No question the kid has BLAZING speed and great physical tools.

Liked this too.

Hands: Reliable receiver who extends to able to catch the ball away from his frame. Adjusts to high, low, and wide throws well, and can make the exceptional catch. Brings in passes over either shoulder, even when contested. Excellent body control over the middle and on the sidelines.

Route running: Sharp and sudden route-runner; sinks his hips and accelerates out of the cut. Solid comebacks and outs, presses corner and stops quickly to complete the route. Sells routes on the run with foot work and body language to get corner off balance. Must work harder to get open when his quarterback is in trouble.

Now he has to play.

Last edited:
Intangibles: Unselfish player. No major character issues. Quiet on the field, lets his play do the talking.

Yep, he's perfect.

I can see Price beating out Branch.

I actually got the impression that he runs terrible routes. Tate also runs awful routes.

Edelman>Tate, even on returns.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw him drafted I looked him up, he is the perfect Patriot off the field, and seems to be a real talent. I love this guy, hes my binky since April and I was so happy to see him versus the Dolphins. Like I said, I just hope along with his blazing speed he has a mind that can learn our playbook (Chad Jackson I'm looking at you)

He was one of Mayock/Chocula's (I don't remember which) top WR picks outside of the obvious ones (Bryant, Williams, Benn, Thomas). They all said he's rough but he was abusing people at the senior bowl in practice.

I actually got the impression that he runs terrible routes. Tate also runs awful routes.

I think the best way of describing it is that he runs good routes physically, but he needed lots of work on the mental aspects of the game, including route running.

I'm not a big combine guy but I thought these numbers were interesting.

and then I looked at this...

NFL Events: Combine Top Performers

Not sure why some of the above numbers are missing, but for this past year's draft, his 40 would have been #1, 3-cone #2, #1 60 yd shuttle, #6 in 20 yd shuttle.

No question the kid has BLAZING speed and great physical tools.

Liked this too.

Now he has to play.

The scouting report had me chomping at the bit, good size, good hands, speed etc. those skills w a good hardworking attitude have always amounted to success and consistency. His short Miami performance was great(he had a good energy on the field also)

My knowledge of what go's on behind the scenes is limited to hardknocks, lol.

I assume he'd be competing for Tate's spot correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
The scouting report had me chomping at the bit, good size, good hands, speed etc. those skills w a good hardworking attitude have always amounted to success and consistency. His short Miami performance was great(he had a good energy on the field also)

My knowledge of what go's on behind the scenes is limited to hardknocks, lol.

I assume he'd be competing for Tate's spot correct me if i'm wrong.

Makes sense. Hes fast but I truthfully don't know where he'll play. Depends on how well he reads defenses and run routes and makes adjustments. Most importantly, does he develop a simpatico with TB! He ran a lot of slants vs Miami. Who knows.

Multiply his single games numbers over a 16 game season and he'd nab 48 catches for 656 yards :p I'll take that!

Last edited:
Most importantly, does he develop a simpatico with TB! He ran a lot of slants vs Miami. Who knows.

I think this is more on Brady than Price (same argument for Tate). I think a lot of chemistry development occurs in the off-season. I know people don't like hearing/reading this on these forums, but more Brady in Foxborough in March thru June means more time to work with young receivers and build a relationship with them off and on the field. Previously, I think Brady took it upon himself to do this and become comfortable with guys like Patten, Givens, Branch, Welker and Moss. As much as people think this is a non-factor and that Brady has life outside of the Patriots, I think it would do wonders for the two young receivers, the offense, the team, and the future of the team if the best QB in the game was there with his new weapons.

This is not a knock on Brady's dedication to the team. I understand that life has many facets and football to Brady, while it is an important one, is not the most dimension of his life. I've read and heard that Brady often stayed after practice to work continually with Gronkowski and Hernandez, and I believe this helped tremendously and it showed on the field with their production this past season. Now, Price and Tate (Price especially) could not have been exposed to this kind of rehearsal with Brady because he wasn't seeing first-team reps nor was he even active most of the time. This kind of tutelage during the off-season with Tate and Price will really help out our WR corps. And I hate to compare him to Manning, but it was widely reported that Manning worked with Garcon and Collie continuously during the off-season after they were drafted, and these two young receivers have undoubtedly made more of an impact on the Colts than Tate and Price have had on the Patriots - granted they probably saw more playing time.

tl;dr Brady, so willing, working with Price and Tate in the off-season will help a lot.

Last edited:
From Price's profile:

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]He has good size and speed, but it could take him time to learn the complexities of the Patriots' offense.[/FONT]
Perhaps the author was accurate, which leads one to speculate that maybe he hasn't shown enough YET in practice to risk giving him game reps. Remember, Brady won't throw to you if you're unreliable.

Last edited:
Don't you think you're way overacting to one game?

You have to be realistic. Branch is getting older not younger. To me he looks slow in the field while Price looks like he has fricking turbo on those shoes.

He has almost identical measurements to Greg Jennings, so think of him as a do-it-all kind of WR. Elite Speed for deep routes (4.39 40 yard dash), modest height for speed in and out of cuts on smaller routes while still being a potential deep threat (6'1), and a fairly impressive vertical (He has a 37" vert, Dez Bryant has 38", Jennings has 37", Hakeem Nicks 35"), and he's decently strong for his size so he will be able to be a good blocker (assuming proper technique) and it will allow him to fight off jams fairly well. He has good hands from I've seen. He's significantly more athletic than Tate. The issue is him learning the offense in terms of breaking down coverages presnap so both when he is a hot route both he and Brady will be on the same page. For him, it's all mental to become a good WR. But he seems like a smart kid and for all accounts and purposes is high character so lets hope he puts in lots of work over the summer to get him self to the starting roster.

Sounds good to me. Without a lot of PT, hard to project, but I anticipate his blocking technique will be fine since it was a major responsibility in college. His offense was run-first, run-second, run-third, throw only when you have to. I kept reading that his blocking was one of the most obvious things on film since he did so much of it.

He's going from the most basic passing offense to the most complex passing offense, and due to bizarre NCAA rules and Ohio's late graduation date, he got into camp late and behind the curve. It'd be shocking if he played a lot this season (or a sign of major injuries). I'm hoping he works his butt off in the off-season because he could be a real player for us.

I think this is more on Brady than Price (same argument for Tate). I think a lot of chemistry development occurs in the off-season. I know people don't like hearing/reading this on these forums, but more Brady in Foxborough in March thru June means more time to work with young receivers and build a relationship with them off and on the field. Previously, I think Brady took it upon himself to do this and become comfortable with guys like Patten, Givens, Branch, Welker and Moss. As much as people think this is a non-factor and that Brady has life outside of the Patriots, I think it would do wonders for the two young receivers, the offense, the team, and the future of the team if the best QB in the game was there with his new weapons.

This is not a knock on Brady's dedication to the team. I understand that life has many facets and football to Brady, while it is an important one, is not the most dimension of his life. I've read and heard that Brady often stayed after practice to work continually with Gronkowski and Hernandez, and I believe this helped tremendously and it showed on the field with their production this past season. Now, Price and Tate (Price especially) could not have been exposed to this kind of rehearsal with Brady because he wasn't seeing first-team reps nor was he even active most of the time. This kind of tutelage during the off-season with Tate and Price will really help out our WR corps. And I hate to compare him to Manning, but it was widely reported that Manning worked with Garcon and Collie continuously during the off-season after they were drafted, and these two young receivers have undoubtedly made more of an impact on the Colts than Tate and Price have had on the Patriots - granted they probably saw more playing time.

tl;dr Brady, so willing, working with Price and Tate in the off-season will help a lot.

Brady doesn't skip this crucial off-season element, the problem this coming off-season is that he will be walking around in a boot until OTA's, and at that time he will need to start rehab, so his recovery to full speed will happen during OTA's and will complicate this passer/receiver development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST