PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Malcolm Butler plans to push for an adjustment to his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly but it would have to be a good hawl. A first seems light for a pro bowl corner at cheap money for two years.

Understood .... But my primary point is that Hightower and Collins are more important players to the pats than butler

They are responsible for operation costs and to run the franchise. That is business risk. I'm not arguing the degree of the risk.

209c3d34117ae6f7c49282f76af5eed4-150x150.jpg

It all depends on how the press presents the issue, you see, a pro like Mike Reiss puts it in a different perspective, I'm glad he broke the news, otherwise would be nonsense noise like "Butler to hold out if not paid top CB money".

I agree with the general sentiment, he outplayed his current contract and is worth a raise. Hold out is a problem though, it doesn't solve a problem, just creates another one. But this is one of those cases that a extension may be better for both sides, including eliminating the risk of the player playing soft not to get hurt in order to not hurt his chances in the future market. The interception play was one of the best plays of all time, but there is no input in contract discussions, it was a hail mary, they don't count. His general play at the SB though did show he was special. And he didn't asked anything after that. He played a full season as a top CB in the game and established himself. Even though most of us want to see a little more, in the players perspective another full season is an eternity when it comes to this kind of negotiation.

He needs to get some security because things change fast in the NFL. At the same time, he should be grateful that he is in this position right now. He was this close to not even be a NFL player right now entering the league as an UDFA. He lucked out that (among his potential of course) he landed in a spot to learn and be evaluated by the wisest man in football, he got the opportunity and seized. It's not so rare for undrafted players or late round picks to be successful in the league, but every one of them must realize that once the opportunity to cash out some guaranteed money is there, they have to take it instead of gambling again, because they already won a ticket. Even though we say that draft position doesn't count, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick even if they fail tend to stay a little more in the league, and that equals to money in the bank. That's not the reality for UDFA's and late rounders. Butler absolutely needs to give a hometown discount. Also, as pointed out, he is very good, but let's pump the breaks a little bit in the top 5 conversation.

Here's a few issues that I see in terms of contract years.

He is already 26 (I don't know if he's more closer to 27 or just celebrated another birthday, anyways..) so a 4 year contract would put him in the market around the age of 30, which is a cruel mark. 2 year deal makes no sense, as the Pats have him on the cheap for this time. So I think a 3 year contract makes the most sense so he would still get a chance for another payday which I think is what he wants, at the same time I don't see a lot of advantages for the Pats financially as they control the situation here, probably solves an immediate issue and rewards a good player but Belichick is a business man not a charity institution.

So if he was 24 a 3 or 4 year deal very reasonable contract would be something easy to get the parts in agreement. Then for his 2nd contract would be a free world, no one owes nothing to anyone. But at 26 it's a little more complicated. If there is time for a 4 year contract and hitting the market at 29 that would be his best scenario IMO, he would make his fair share of money right now and then bet in himself to get another big payday or at least a decent contract (remember, he may have not been in this position if picked by any other team in the NFL) so a decent contract in the NFL, although not top of the market, is still something he should not take it for granted. But again what do the Pats win here?

I don't know, maybe he gets a little bump right now and after another season if they feel he is the real deal, maybe a long term extension should be the discussion and Butler may have to realize that one big pay day is what he will get and he should not take this for granted. Also players still make money at 32/33 so he's not going to starve in life unless he pulls a Cromartie or Holyfield.

Think this is the best possible summary of the situation. This could be published as an article.

Neither does Woody.
His money. His job and responsibility to make money and the team financially successful. Being a complete idiot is irrelevant to keeping what is rightfully his - which are profits.

They are responsible for operation costs and to run the franchise. That is business risk. I'm not arguing the degree of the risk.

Don't know what point you are making

His money. His job and responsibility to make money and the team financially successful. Being a complete idiot is irrelevant to keeping what is rightfully his - which are profits.

Not making a point other than the fact that an idiot can run an NFL franchise and do just fine.

I'm not sure why you are arguing about the right of the owner class to make and keep their profits. I haven't seen anyone in this thread argue otherwise.

I think Butler should hire Miguel as his agent.

Not making a point other than the fact that an idiot can run an NFL franchise and do just fine.

I'm not sure why you are arguing about the right of the owner class to make and keep their profits. I haven't seen anyone in this thread argue otherwise.

Seems everytime ive said the owners have the right to keep as much of the profits they want because they own the team and assume the risk I get comments suggesting that they have no risk or are too stupid to deserve it (which may be true but that's irrelevant)

Good players are rarely RFAs because they would have played out their rookie contract and hit unrestricted free agency. Few UDFAs pan out as well and as quickly as Butler.

Good players hit RFA all, the time, it's just that no one will give the high pick and a top money contract. If it's lower than top money, it's usually matched, as it was when Pitt matched Emmanuel Sanders and Denver Matched Anderson's deal with Miami.

So they will give him 12m extra in 2019 ( 2016 2 2017 3 2018 15) ???

They have all the leverage, so why give him 12m in 2019 plus all the possible money they will have to give him if they dont reach a deal... That sounds a perfect deal for him, and garbage for the team

He is 26 now they can tag him 2 times now 3m 2017 ( 27) 15m 2018 (28) = 6m per

So he will be a UFA in 2019 / 29 years ...

Patriots have all leverage they should offer him a 6 year deal ( He will be 32 if he is playing well he will manage to find another small contract) and 8.5m per = 51 with 24 gtd ... He will get a raise next year + financial stability with a reasonable contract.

2016 -- same cap 26 years
2017 - 6m full gtd 27 years
2018 - 6m full gtd 28 years
2019 - 8m full gtd 29 years
2020 - 9m / 4m gtd 30 years
2021 - 9m 31 years
2022 - 13m 32 years

The 12 million was salary over the, life of the contract, he would get 20 guaranteed. 4/32/20 is a fair deal for both sides. Butler gets a big payday up front and only has one more year in the deal than they already control him for.

I would imagine that the Patriots have already had discussions with the agents for their best players to see where they stand and who is most amenable to signing sms who is going tip go UFA. They may have already made offers to guys like Collins, Hightower , and Butler and we don't know anything about it.

Good players hit RFA all, the time, it's just that no one will give the high pick and a top money contract. If it's lower than top money, it's usually matched, as it was when Pitt matched Emmanuel Sanders and Denver Matched Anderson's deal with Miami.

Sanders (at the time) and Anderson were not Pro Bowlers. I guess Anderson was, but as the 6th alternate or something. But I guarantee we tender Butler at the 1st round level if it comes to that, and neither of those players got the 1st round tender.

Sanders (at the time) and Anderson were not Pro Bowlers. I guess Anderson was, but as the 6th alternate or something. But I guarantee we tender Butler at the 1st round level if it comes to that, and neither of those players got the 1st round tender.

You said "good players" not all pro's, but to go back to the original question name the last time a team gave up a first for a RFA?

The Patriots have Butler under control until 2019 free agency, any deal they offer will reflect that.

20 million guaranteed for a guy entering his 3rd year is really good money, if Butler feels it isn't good enough he can wait until 2019 for big money.

You said "good players" not all pro's, but to go back to the original question name the last time a team gave up a first for a RFA?

The Patriots have Butler under control until 2019 free agency, any deal they offer will reflect that.

20 million guaranteed for a guy entering his 3rd year is really good money, if Butler feels it isn't good enough he can wait until 2019 for big money.

I generally agree with what you've said. I can't actually remember last time someone who isn't Case Keenum got the 1st round tender, though, and I don't see why there wouldn't be interest in Butler at that tender, provided he puts in another good year.

I generally agree with what you've said. I can't actually remember last time someone who isn't Case Keenum got the 1st round tender, though, and I don't see why there wouldn't be interest in Butler at that tender, provided he puts in another good year.

Teams just don't give up the first rounder. I have no doubt every team would be interested they just won't give the first.

Malcolm needs to tread carefully here, in my opinion. With Bill it's all business. If Malcolm decides he's going to publicly turn this into a pissing contest, Bill might well ship him. And god knows where. If a team like the Browns gets goo goo eyes for Malocolm and are willing to pay up big time, he could be history. I hope not, but I've seen this act before with BB.

No way they agree to be paid as a #2 CB when he is clearly a #1 and a very good #1. If that ends up being their stance on the matter, we'll unfortunately have to watch a great player like Butler leave via FA

I'd love him if he did, but I just can't fathom them agreeing to that when he's established himself as a top corner.. Look what Norman just got paid after his year last year, he hasn't been a consistently good player for a long period of time either
He is not a free agent. He will not be one for three years. He has to play this year for $600,000. Is a restricted free agent next year. If we give him a first round tender. We get him for a decent price and if someone else tenders him, we get a 1st round pick. The following year we could franchise him. He has no leverage. If he sits he accumulates no time towards his FA. We hold all the cards. He settles for a mid range up front money type of deal or he plays the cards he was dealt being an undrafted free agent.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. He's a proven CB1 in this league and has a lot of room to grow still. On top of that, he fits in this defense like a glove. I don't blame him for wanting a raise. He should want one. He signed, sealed, and delivered a Super Bowl win and goes man to man with the opposing WR1. Hopefully the Pats can work out a contract that makes sense for both sides.

He's also been taking more of a leadership role and has just plain and simply worked hard to get here

It sends the right message if the Patriots recognize that he's gone above and beyond his pay grade - but yes, that means a serious discount from what the free market would pay him.

And what is the last date that Butler can show up and still secure the credited year? That's probably in October.
I believe it is after 3 or more regular season games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3