PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UPDATES on Butler situation: Butler wants to be "A Patriots for Life" AND "paid like a Top 10 CB"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From Jeff Howe's twitter feed

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 25m25 minutes ago
Malcolm Butler has received interest from several teams, per source. Don't be surprised if the action picks up with Butler this week.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 25m25 minutes ago
All that said, I was given a strong indication Butler prefers to be a "Patriot for life." He wants to make it work in New England.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 23m23 minutes ago
Patriots offered Butler somewhere around $6M to $7M annually last season. Butler hoped to be paid in the ballpark of a top-10 CB.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 21m21 minutes ago
Patriots told Butler last season they wouldn't pay a CB more than $10M annually, so the Gilmore contract was definitely a gut punch.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 10m10 minutes ago
If nothing happens with Butler and he remains a Patriot with the $3.91M tender, he doesn't have any plans to hold out.

If what Jeff reports is true... then I feel bad for Malcolm Butler :(

Last edited:
That is surprising if true - not that I don't think he would be a good player for many teams (he definitely would). It's just that most GMs are so protective of first rounders that some of them would rather pass on proven players for the promise of rookies.

That second statement makes no sense because they basically paid Revis 17 mill for one season. Butler was on the roster for that...Wouldn't be surprised if that's not the whole picture.

That is surprising if true - not that I don't think he would be a good player for many teams (he definitely would). It's just that most GMs are so protective of first rounders that some of them would rather pass on proven players for the promise of rookies.

I think Malcolm's agent is just blowing smoke.... I highly doubt teams are gonna be willing to offer a top-of-the-market contract AND depart with a first-round pick

Maybe they're planning on playing Gilmore at safety.
Italics = sarcasm.

If Butler would've signed for $6 or $7 million per last year or this year then I don't think the Pats ink Gilmore. But you never know with BB. It would've been a gut punch if they told him that and he signed and then the Pats signed Gilmore for $65m, yeah, I'd agree.

Missed this part, let's do this. Tag him if we don't need it for Jimmy. I'd risk letting him walk either way. Let get #6.

Since WHEN do the Pats discuss their negotiating perameters with Jeff Freakin' Howe. So where is is that crap coming from? Who are his sources to those links. One rumor states he "wants to remain a Patriot for life, while over at PFT you can find a headline which states "Bulter wants out of NE".

I believe TROLLING is the operative word here.

BTW- upon reading the article from Howe on PFT it is clear as a bell that Howe has no clue to the vast differences between UFA and RFA, which seems to be a trend among the local press. :rolleyes:

I don't buy that the Pats said they wouldn't pay a CB more than $10 million. They paid Revis more than that and offered him a second contract more than that. They pay McCourty close to 10 and the cb position pays more.

I also doubt they only offered Bulter 6-7 annually. Maybe that was the first year salary, but not the average over the life of the contract.

Nonsense probably coming from Butler's agent.

Since WHEN do the Pats discuss their negotiating perameters with Jeff Freakin' Howe. So where is is that crap coming from? Who are his sources to those links. One rumor states he "wants to remain a Patriot for life, while over at PFT you can find a headline which states "Bulter wants out of NE".

I believe TROLLING is the operative word here.

Pretty sure it's coming from Butler's side, from the wording...

For anyone to suggest how life is tough for someone for deciding between $45M or trying to get $55M+ elsewhere is looney to me. This agent must be playing Madden or something.

The upper bound statement would seem a bit odd given the fact they paid Revis $12 million for a one year deal, and that is public knowledge.

My sense of BB is he offers a cold assessment of what he believes you are worth (age, ability and intangibles considered) to the team, and is loathe to break from that figure.

A definitive statement like "not more than $10 million for any CB" would mean he would pass on the best CBs in the NFL if available at $10.1 million (a huge value for elite CBs), or be called a liar when he does otherwise. A statement made last season may also have been cap specific, with all the moving free agency pieces yet to be decided.

All this assumes any such statement was actually made by BB, and this is not a repeat of the Mankins contract negotiation rhetoric.

That second statement makes no sense because they basically paid Revis 17 mill for one season. Butler was on the roster for that...Wouldn't be surprised if that's not the whole picture.

Considering the source is his dumb-dumb agent, I wouldn't either.

Pretty sure it's coming from Butler's side, from the wording...

Butler's agent is probably trying to win the PR war. "Malcolm wants to be here :(", "Patriots are low-balling him :("

I don't know what his end-game is, but it is pretty clear to me that he is trying to sway the public opinion in MB's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3