PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Malcolm Butler plans to push for an adjustment to his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on how the press presents the issue, you see, a pro like Mike Reiss puts it in a different perspective, I'm glad he broke the news, otherwise would be nonsense noise like "Butler to hold out if not paid top CB money".

I agree with the general sentiment, he outplayed his current contract and is worth a raise. Hold out is a problem though, it doesn't solve a problem, just creates another one. But this is one of those cases that a extension may be better for both sides, including eliminating the risk of the player playing soft not to get hurt in order to not hurt his chances in the future market. The interception play was one of the best plays of all time, but there is no input in contract discussions, it was a hail mary, they don't count. His general play at the SB though did show he was special. And he didn't asked anything after that. He played a full season as a top CB in the game and established himself. Even though most of us want to see a little more, in the players perspective another full season is an eternity when it comes to this kind of negotiation.

He needs to get some security because things change fast in the NFL. At the same time, he should be grateful that he is in this position right now. He was this close to not even be a NFL player right now entering the league as an UDFA. He lucked out that (among his potential of course) he landed in a spot to learn and be evaluated by the wisest man in football, he got the opportunity and seized. It's not so rare for undrafted players or late round picks to be successful in the league, but every one of them must realize that once the opportunity to cash out some guaranteed money is there, they have to take it instead of gambling again, because they already won a ticket. Even though we say that draft position doesn't count, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick even if they fail tend to stay a little more in the league, and that equals to money in the bank. That's not the reality for UDFA's and late rounders. Butler absolutely needs to give a hometown discount. Also, as pointed out, he is very good, but let's pump the breaks a little bit in the top 5 conversation.

Here's a few issues that I see in terms of contract years.

He is already 26 (I don't know if he's more closer to 27 or just celebrated another birthday, anyways..) so a 4 year contract would put him in the market around the age of 30, which is a cruel mark. 2 year deal makes no sense, as the Pats have him on the cheap for this time. So I think a 3 year contract makes the most sense so he would still get a chance for another payday which I think is what he wants, at the same time I don't see a lot of advantages for the Pats financially as they control the situation here, probably solves an immediate issue and rewards a good player but Belichick is a business man not a charity institution.

So if he was 24 a 3 or 4 year deal very reasonable contract would be something easy to get the parts in agreement. Then for his 2nd contract would be a free world, no one owes nothing to anyone. But at 26 it's a little more complicated. If there is time for a 4 year contract and hitting the market at 29 that would be his best scenario IMO, he would make his fair share of money right now and then bet in himself to get another big payday or at least a decent contract (remember, he may have not been in this position if picked by any other team in the NFL) so a decent contract in the NFL, although not top of the market, is still something he should not take it for granted. But again what do the Pats win here?

I don't know, maybe he gets a little bump right now and after another season if they feel he is the real deal, maybe a long term extension should be the discussion and Butler may have to realize that one big pay day is what he will get and he should not take this for granted. Also players still make money at 32/33 so he's not going to starve in life unless he pulls a Cromartie or Holyfield.

With your permission @varjao I would like to add this post to an upcoming blog of mine

My ideal Butler contract and why.

The current deal is .6K 4M 15M (franchise tag for 3 years option). I doubt the Pats pay him for the 3rd year if this is what happens but overall it is 19.6M for 3 years which is 6.2/year.

If Butler wants a deal he will need to sign a contract beyond 2 years (including this one) at the least so we are looking at least 3. I would want 4 though and I think it be in the best interest of the Patriots to do 4. Butler might be hesitant to do so cause he will be 30 but it is not like CBs don't get paid well at that age as long as they are still playing well. Hell look at Revis. If he plays the next 4 years well and wants to cash in someone will pay him.

Butler's play per year if he keeps it up is probably in the 10M/yr range but seeing he is not a FA and we currently have him at 6.2/year split the difference and call it 8M/yr for 4 years so 32M total

5M 6M 9M 12M - I think this is fair and when the final year has no guaranteed money if he play has not stayed up it is possible to cut him or ask him to take a new deal. If his play is worth it you can keep him at that price if a deal is not possible.

I undertsand that 4/32 means 8 per year thank you sir. 8/8/8/8 = 0.6k/3.65/16/12 with the same gtd money. Do we agree on that sir?

If they tag him 2x Butler he will get his 20m gtd REGARDELESS. Do we agree on that?

So what is the incentive for Butler to sign such a proposal today? 16m dollars in gtd money with 28 years old ( We all know they will tender him next year). So, do we agree that the incentive is almost non-existent for the player? Josh Norman just got 15m per with a lower cap and the same age Butler will be. He knows he can get more than 16m overt the next 2 years and a larger deal in a bigger cap space situation.

If you will add an extra year to the player's contract by paying the price of an elite player NOW what would be the benefit the team ?

The offer for the player is almost the same as he would be entitled if he decided not to deal with the team, and the team would add a year of elite athlete money and allow the player to reached free agency in his prime.

What I mean is that to be advantageous to both parties, the Patriots should make a larger proposal than 4 years ( 6 years at least), with a reduced annual cost compared with the top CB (more years would be a way to protect both sides and the reduced value would be a players discount for any injury or something more serious - Gronks case).

Do you envision Solder (10.4m per) getting top dollar today ( his agent believed he was the best LT in the league), after his season last year? Sometimes is better not to gamble. He is better than C Glenn (12m per) and he is making a little bit less money. But i think that if he did not sign his extension when he did the difference would be even bigger.

The advantage for Butler is that he gets 20 million today, instead of waiting for most of it two full seasons from now, in which case he would be risking almost all of over the next two seasons. If he took the deal he would get 3/4 of it before he would get the 16 on the tag after 2018. In return the Patriots get 1 more season than they would get by multiple tags.

Butler can say no and risk injury or diminished play and never see big money, or he could ensure a decent payday now with another bite at the apple after 2018, that's up to him, but 4/32/20 is a decent compromise for both parties imo.

In comparison Janoris Jenkins played out his rookie deal and got 28 million for 4 years from the Giants. Butler is a better CB but he would be getting 4 million more after 2 years, and that's the basic trade off.

The real bottom line is that Butler has zero leverage and a choice to make, he can wait 3 seasons for to money or take a good deal now and be set for life no matter what happens. That however is up to both sides to get done.

Maybe I'm a homer, but I think a good amount of fans underrate just how good Butler is already.

CBs better than Butler IMO:

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Norman
4. Talib

After those four, I'm having trouble putting another CB above Butler.

Harris - RCB is much easier to play than LCB. When matched up against #1 WRs in the past (Brown, Edelman), he's been burnt to a crisp.

Revis - a much more sound CB technician right now than Butler but athletic WRs will have their way with him. Jets arguably lost two games because of the Watkins - Revis matchup (Butler eliminated him) and Hopkins really humiliated him. Turns 31 in July.

Grimes, Haden, Davis - All three have declined in some capacity.

Butler, Verrett, Peters, Darby - I view Butler as the most impressive of the young CBs. He had the most on his plate by following #1 WRs across the field including the slot and performed well.

I think Butler's squarely in the 5-7 range rather than 8-15. It would be a steal to lock him up for 3-4 years now at a reduced rate.

The NFL's top 10 cornerbacks, ranked

Outsiders seem to view Butler more favorably. :D

I haven't seen this being talked about, so...

Butler is already 26 years old. I don't think he'll accept a 4 year contract with a below avg salary for CB1. After that is done, he would be in his 30 and we all know how cruel the NFL can be for those guys (granted, CBs can stay at high level a bit longer)

Unfortunately for Butler the Patriots are unlikely to make a deal unless there is something in it for them, and that something is the extra season. As it stands they can spend about 20 million, in tags and get him at much less risk until after 2018 season. Or they can guarantee 20 million up front on a four year deal that makes him a Patriot for one season beyond those tags.

Maybe I'm a homer, but I think a good amount of fans underrate just how good Butler is already.

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Norman
4. Talib

Harris - RCB is much easier to play than LCB. When matched up against #1 WRs in the past (Brown, Edelman), he's been burnt to a crisp.

Revis - a much more sound CB technician right now than Butler but athletic WRs will have their way with him. Jets arguably lost two games because of the Watkins - Revis matchup (Butler eliminated him) and Hopkins really humiliated him. Turns 31 in July.

Butler, Verrett, Peters, Darby - I view Butler as the most impressive of the young CBs. He had the most on his plate by following #1 WRs across the field including the slot and performed well.

I think Butler's squarely in the 5-7 range rather than 8-15. It would be a steal to lock him up for 3-4 years now at a reduced rate.

I think you overrate Norman and underrate Haden and Peters but, overall, I agree with your thoughts here.

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Norman
4. Talib

1. Peterson
2. Norman
3. Butler
4. Peters
5. Verret

This is a reasonable deal with the first 3 years guaranteed, and perhaps the fourth guaranteed against injury.

The fourth year is the major issue.

Of course, the other issue is whether anyone will spend a 1st and say $6M or $7M for Butler.

My ideal Butler contract and why.

The current deal is .6K 4M 15M (franchise tag for 3 years option). I doubt the Pats pay him for the 3rd year if this is what happens but overall it is 19.6M for 3 years which is 6.2/year.

If Butler wants a deal he will need to sign a contract beyond 2 years (including this one) at the least so we are looking at least 3. I would want 4 though and I think it be in the best interest of the Patriots to do 4. Butler might be hesitant to do so cause he will be 30 but it is not like CBs don't get paid well at that age as long as they are still playing well. Hell look at Revis. If he plays the next 4 years well and wants to cash in someone will pay him.

Butler's play per year if he keeps it up is probably in the 10M/yr range but seeing he is not a FA and we currently have him at 6.2/year split the difference and call it 8M/yr for 4 years so 32M total

5M 6M 9M 12M - I think this is fair and when the final year has no guaranteed money if he play has not stayed up it is possible to cut him or ask him to take a new deal. If his play is worth it you can keep him at that price if a deal is not possible.

It all depends on how the press presents the issue, you see, a pro like Mike Reiss puts it in a different perspective, I'm glad he broke the news, otherwise would be nonsense noise like "Butler to hold out if not paid top CB money".

I agree with the general sentiment, he outplayed his current contract and is worth a raise. Hold out is a problem though, it doesn't solve a problem, just creates another one. But this is one of those cases that a extension may be better for both sides, including eliminating the risk of the player playing soft not to get hurt in order to not hurt his chances in the future market. The interception play was one of the best plays of all time, but there is no input in contract discussions, it was a hail mary, they don't count. His general play at the SB though did show he was special. And he didn't asked anything after that. He played a full season as a top CB in the game and established himself. Even though most of us want to see a little more, in the players perspective another full season is an eternity when it comes to this kind of negotiation.

He needs to get some security because things change fast in the NFL. At the same time, he should be grateful that he is in this position right now. He was this close to not even be a NFL player right now entering the league as an UDFA. He lucked out that (among his potential of course) he landed in a spot to learn and be evaluated by the wisest man in football, he got the opportunity and seized. It's not so rare for undrafted players or late round picks to be successful in the league, but every one of them must realize that once the opportunity to cash out some guaranteed money is there, they have to take it instead of gambling again, because they already won a ticket. Even though we say that draft position doesn't count, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick even if they fail tend to stay a little more in the league, and that equals to money in the bank. That's not the reality for UDFA's and late rounders. Butler absolutely needs to give a hometown discount. Also, as pointed out, he is very good, but let's pump the breaks a little bit in the top 5 conversation.

Here's a few issues that I see in terms of contract years.

He is already 26 (I don't know if he's more closer to 27 or just celebrated another birthday, anyways..) so a 4 year contract would put him in the market around the age of 30, which is a cruel mark. 2 year deal makes no sense, as the Pats have him on the cheap for this time. So I think a 3 year contract makes the most sense so he would still get a chance for another payday which I think is what he wants, at the same time I don't see a lot of advantages for the Pats financially as they control the situation here, probably solves an immediate issue and rewards a good player but Belichick is a business man not a charity institution.

So if he was 24 a 3 or 4 year deal very reasonable contract would be something easy to get the parts in agreement. Then for his 2nd contract would be a free world, no one owes nothing to anyone. But at 26 it's a little more complicated. If there is time for a 4 year contract and hitting the market at 29 that would be his best scenario IMO, he would make his fair share of money right now and then bet in himself to get another big payday or at least a decent contract (remember, he may have not been in this position if picked by any other team in the NFL) so a decent contract in the NFL, although not top of the market, is still something he should not take it for granted. But again what do the Pats win here?

I don't know, maybe he gets a little bump right now and after another season if they feel he is the real deal, maybe a long term extension should be the discussion and Butler may have to realize that one big pay day is what he will get and he should not take this for granted. Also players still make money at 32/33 so he's not going to starve in life unless he pulls a Cromartie or Holyfield.

Perfect.

He was allowed to realize his dream . But not everything was perfect for him because the ´´timing`` to become a free agent is far from ideal. He was an ´´old`` UDFA and NE hold all the cards till 2018.

He has to understand that he will have a big contract, perhaps a humoungous one in 2018/2019 or an above average contract right now and then some smaller contracts if he is willing to play the vet role.

In any scenario he is a winner . He will be rich. Maybe not Revis rich.

Possible scenarios IMO

1- Extend him now for 4 years. He will give a huge discount for 2 reasons 1 NE has no obligation
to accept his demand 2 He will be a FA again and will command a lot of money. Lets say 4/ 22; They can keep his cap intact and give him 14 gtd over the next 3 years so thats basically 3/22 - 14 gtd. Thats really cheap for a #1 CB but thats a HUGE salary bump ...

2019: Here he can get 13m / 4 (till his 33) 22 gtd... Playing his whole contract - At this point MB has 74m / 36 gtd Win - Win

2 - NE extend him next year for more money but he gives them the injury risk and the early salary raise discount. Lets say 6/64,8 and 29 gtd. Thats 10.8m per and if he stay healthy he should play his full contract. (till his 33) - At this point MB has 64,8m / 29 gtd Win - Win

Wouldn't be surprised to find a new contract has been agreed to in pronciple but the Patriots are trying to keep it low key and we wont hear anything about it for about a month.
That way Butler gets a little more well deserved money but the Patriots dont set the precedent that when you ***** and moan you get more money.

With your permission @varjao I would like to add this post to an upcoming blog of mine

Certainly Miguel, I'm honored with this request since your blog is a source that many people rely on, Belichick himself must check when he is not on the mood to do some math lol

Feel free to make a few tweaks if you find some grammar mistakes since English is not my first language.

Thanks again.

1- Extend him now for 4 years. He will give a huge discount for 2 reasons 1 NE has no obligation
to accept his demand 2 He will be a FA again and will command a lot of money. Lets say 4/ 22; They can keep his cap intact and give him 14 gtd over the next 3 years so thats basically 3/22 - 14 gtd. Thats really cheap for a #1 CB but thats a HUGE salary bump ...

You want Butler to sign a 3 year extension for $7M AAV, with $14M guaranteed.

BONUS $14M
2016 $.6M
2017 $1M
2018 $3M
2019 $4M

There is ZERO salary bump, just a player signing an extension and receiving a bonus. I think that his agent would suggest waiting until next year, and seeing who will be willing to give up a first for him next year.

There likely will be no hold out (sorry ESPN), as it was reported on 98.5 that Butler is expected to take part in OTA's in the coming week. His absence, the report states, likely has nothing to do with his contract.

You want Butler to sign a 3 year extension for $7M AAV, with $14M guaranteed.

BONUS $14M
2016 $.6M
2017 $1M
2018 $3M
2019 $4M

There is ZERO salary bump, just a player signing an extension and receiving a bonus. I think that his agent would suggest waiting until next year, and seeing who will be willing to give up a first for him next year.

Maybe maybe not...

Mike Utley ...
Kevin Everett
this guy from Seattle Ricardo...

One NFL snap can change his life for better or worse ...

14m gtd NOW is a lot of money IMO....

Maybe maybe not...

Mike Utley ...
Kevin Everett
this guy from Seattle Ricardo...

One NFL snap can change his life for better or worse ...

14m gtd NOW is a lot of money IMO....

If I was Malcolm's agent, family, friend, financial advisor or if it was me personally running into him at Lowes buying a new shovel, I would advise with the force of GOD to get as much $ RIGHT NOW as he possibly can. You only get so many opportunities to lock up a reasonable level of personal financial security for the rest of your life. This is one of them.

Even if he can get a bridge deal for ~$4m guaranteed that'll help meet that objective.

Last edited:
Exactly rob we all remember the Patriots ripped up Gronk's original Rookie contact deal and that wasn't exactly peanuts compared to what Bulter is on the books for this season and next. When you outplay your contract you deserve to get payed also Butler plays the toughest position in Football CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes