PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Giardi Tonight on ST: Re: Signing the "Big Three".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you get Butler at 10 million? I have said that he's not a priority this season in pretty much every post. If he will take 8 a season they might do the deal as an extension after this season but that's the only way he gets paid early.

We'll see how good a year he has. He has had one great year. We'll see where we are after two.

Assuming his play keeps up i think that is what he is worth. Last year he was overall one of the top 10 CBs in the NFL. If he does that again this year then that is what he will be paid. Now they don't have to pay him next year if they don't want to and can keep him for relatively cheap but 13M is what he will make give or take unless he takes a discount IMO.

Here is a list of the top paid CBs. You can tell me what you think he is worth

Cornerback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

The I can only think of 5 or 6 CBs I would want over Butler last year so he should probably be one of the 6 or 7 highest paid overall.
Agree that Butler played at an elite level last year. We did not see a dropoff at #1 CB from losing Revis, and that is saying a lot. Also agree that Butler needs to back it up again this year, to show his arc is still ascending.

His market value is probably high to other teams considering both those factors as less important than one single play. He is one of the best known CBs in the league as a result of that one play, instantly recognizable to any NFL fan base as Super Bowl hero. Teams know that having his name on their roster will help sell tickets. That makes him more valuable to 31 other teams. I doubt it would make him worth a first round pick plus the money as an RFA, but I'm not even sure of that given some of the crazy first round draft trades and contract money that's been thrown around.

I'm really hoping Butler gets extended, it could happen anytime now. I'd expect most likely after csmp. With the huge number of rookie CBs plus the others returning on the roster there's a large talent pool to evaluate. If Butler shows he is still growing and continues to stand out as a leader in camp I hope he gets rewarded with an extension sooner rather than later.

Where do you get Butler at 10 million? I have said that he's not a priority this season in pretty much every post. If he will take 8 a season they might do the deal as an extension after this season but that's the only way he gets paid early.
gotta disagree. if they can lock him up for four or five at eight to ten now they should do it. A three year extension, four if they can get it, with a signing bonus to give him a raise this year but spread the cap hit. He's not under contract next year, he'd be RFA, so a three year extension means they have him for this year plus three more. RFA will cost about $3mm next year, and potentially risks losing him, and to franchise him will be over $14mm (in 2016 the CB franchise salary is $13,952,000, it will go up by the time Butler would be franchised). So an extension now for three years at eight or even ten million seems pretty good for both sides.

Are they really going to have 70million in cap space next year?

Probably someone else already pointed you to miguel's 2017 page, but just in case: Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2017 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

I can't tell if he is saying we have 95 million or 105 million committed right now, but in either case that would be at least 50 million in cap space (plus if they cut amendola after 2016 season, they save 6.5 on the 2017 cap).

Giardi gets fed ******** info all the time. How about how the pats "getting ready for Brady to miss 6-8 games". He's not very plugged in, always tries to hedge his "scoops". Oh so three pro bowl level defenders aren't going to sign for peanuts and want to be signed for market value? What a shock. They ponied up for top defenders in the past and will have a ton of money coming up. God Boston sports media is miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes