PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Giardi Tonight on ST: Re: Signing the "Big Three".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't matter as long as they can re-sign Edelman's boot and mobility scooter. Priorities.

Bill Belichick On Not Signing the big 3: ‘Can’t Control What You Can’t Control’

Go tell that to the guy who covers the team and probably knows more than you or I about what's going on.

Let's start there.
See, that's the problem. With BB and the Patriots, when has that "guy" actually known more than you or I? The only sports personality I actually give any time for is probably Tom Curran and even then it's with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a McCourty trade at some point, which could lead to signing all 3. I like McCourty and am not advocating trading him, but it would fit BB's MO. Every player I can think of that BB has signed for absolute top of the market money weren't on the team for duration of the contract. Mankins and Seymour were traded and the Pats declined Wilfork's option. If the Pats keep McCourty, I can't see them signing all 3.

How?Next year, if they cut DMAC they will have 1m in cap savings and 9m in dead money, 2018 5m in cap savings and 6m in dead money...

How?Next year, if they cut DMAC they will have 1m in cap savings and 9m in dead money, 2018 5m in cap savings and 6m in dead money...
I never suggested that McCourty would be cut.

Patriot fans simply aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
The fact that Squeeky and the Douche do as well as they do is proof of this statement.

Cut or traded is the same ...
Doesn't cutting accelerate cap hits? Does trading? I don't know the details of McCourty's contract and have a very limited understanding of how the salary cap works. What would be the cap effect if they traded him after the 2017 season?

The point I was making is that top tier players that demand absolute top dollar have yet to complete their full contract under BB. Having 4 top tier. multi-year contracts on one side of the ball is a lot more top heavy approach to roster building than BB has ever employed. All that said, we're dealing with a small sample size of absolutely top dollar contracts under BB, and BB is constantly adapting and tweaking his approach.

2016 cuts ( that matters for cap purposes)
Kline/Cannon/Khun/Dobson/Biggers/ Washington - No needs created
+ small ones that will increase the cap just a little bit

2017 moves:

Cut Waddle
Cut Martin
Ext Dola 1 year 2.6 m avg
Ext Ninko 1 year 2.8m avg
Ext Sheard 8.6m avg
Ext Slater 2 years 1.6 avg
Ext HT 9.3 avg
Ext Collins 9 avg
Ext Butler 10.7 avg
Ext Vollmer 3.9 avg

Cap room: $36,268,628

Using this prediction and numbers - Roster:

• QB - 2 Brady, Brissett, Garoppolo (Trade JG10)
  • RB - 4 James White, Lewis - Bolden, Blount, Brown - deep draft they can use that extra pick to select a RB in round #3 and #7
  • FB - 1 - Devlin - cheap
  • C - 2 Andrews, Stork
  • G - 4 Thuney, Mason, Jackson - Cooper - they have 3 young guards they can bring a cheap vet to fill the spot if cooper is too expensive
  • OT - 4 Vollmer, Solder - Waddle - They need 2 extra T. They can use the #2 and #5 to fill those needs.
  • WR - 5 Amendola, Dola, Mitchell, Hogan, Lucien (PS) - Martin
  • TE - 3 Rob Gronkowski, Harbor - Bennett ???
  • DE - 5 Ninkovich, Sheard, Flowers, Grissom - Long I dont know Lets see how Flowers and Grissom develops.
  • DT - 4 Valentine, Malcom Brown - Knighton, Branch #1 pick + re-sign Branch or a cheap vet
  • LB - 4 Collins, Hightower, McClellin - Freeny - #6 Pick to replace Freeny
  • CB - 5 Butler, Jones, Roberts/Jonathan Jones, Coleman - Logan Ryan Another #2 to replace Logan
  • S - 4 McCourty, Chung, Richards - Harmon Use our #3 to replace Harmon
  • ST - 3 Slater, Ebner/King - Extra STer LB
  • P - 1 Allen
  • K - 1 Gostkowski
  • LS - 1 Cardona

Last edited:
Doesn't cutting accelerate cap hits? Does trading? I don't know the details of McCourty's contract and have a very limited understanding of how the salary cap works. What would be the cap effect if they traded him after the 2017 season?

The point I was making is that top tier players that demand absolute top dollar have yet to complete their full contract under BB. Having 4 top tier. multi-year contracts on one side of the ball is a lot more top heavy approach to roster building than BB has ever employed. All that said, we're dealing with a small sample size of absolutely top dollar contracts under BB, and BB is constantly adapting and tweaking his approach.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Devin McCourty

Patriot fans simply aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

DIDNT YOU HEAR?!?! THIS CAN AFFECT US IN TWO YEARS!!!! OMIGOSH...

giphy.gif

If you think the guy who covers the team has information from belichick about contract and roster plans you are naive. Giardi is guessing.

Really. Huh. We have people around here (including myself) throw BS against the wall and people respond/agree/critique.

A person who actually covers the Pats as a JOB has zero idea what players might think? This isn't a soley Pats decision is it? A good sense of trends etc?

Nice to see people who have work connections to form their opinions are obviously useless compared the to the geniuses and well connected individuals on this forum, right?

DIDNT YOU HEAR?!?! THIS CAN AFFECT US IN TWO YEARS!!!! OMIGOSH...

giphy.gif

Um they have like 30 FAs (just a few critical ones btw) NEXT year...

So yeah about that....

I think I will enjoy 2016 instead. I'll leave the worrying to you, you seem to have it fully covered.

Number one it is interesting. Number 2 people around here were saying they'd get these deals done now.

Crickets.

Your little anecdotes are cute. Just don't comment if it's not worth your time big shot.

Last edited:
Difficult for me to fathom letting both Hightower and Collins walk. They need to find a way to shell out the money for at least one of them.

Really. Huh. We have people around here (including myself) throw BS against the wall and people respond/agree/critique.

A person who actually covers the Pats as a JOB has zero idea what players might think? This isn't a soley Pats decision is it? A good sense of trends etc?

Nice to see people who have work connections to form their opinions are obviously useless compared the to the geniuses and well connected individuals on this forum, right?

Keep up the good work. Someone needs to worry for us.

Number one it is interesting. Number 2 people around here were saying they'd get these deals done now.

Crickets.

Your little anecdotes are cute. Just don't comment if it's not worth your time big shot.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

- FDR

Or was that Bobby Flay?

I always get those two mixed up.

Hightower is easier to replace than Collins.
I think lets see the season play out if anyone isnt a lock to come back its Sheard.
If Grissom, Flowers, Johnson take the next step then losing Nink and or Sheard is the cost of doing business.
Butler has the biggest chance of walking we should of extended him right after the superbowl.
I would make Collins priority number 1.
Hightower is a beast but these players who are that physical wear down easier and get nagging injuries.
Therefore I would let the market set his price.
As far as Butler sticky quick corner who lack size.
I would not pay him elite money we have alot of potential young dbacks who match his physical attributes I dont think that was a coincidence .

Maybe the Patriots are planning on a franchise and trade for a 1st or second.

However if Tom retired next season thats alot of cap free no excuse to keep the defense strong and pay the piper for all 3.

Players who could be in trouble of getting trimmed to free cap, Solder, Cannon, Vollmer.
I think this is a horrible idea but Edelman, you just know the Patriots will especially since Danny just did.
I personally dont want to ever see Edelman in another jersey.

Crickets.

I think most folks have been saying that the Pats will try to extend either (or both) Hightower or Collins this year. This year doesn't necessarily mean right now, and training camp hasn't even started yet. Most also acknowledge that the deals only get done this year if one or both aren't seeking absolute top dollar. It takes two to tango. Simply because all we've heard is crickets doesn't mean they're not working on getting a deal done. I think most posters here realize that there's a ton of FAs after this year and that the Pats might not extend all 3.

A couple of points that may prove helpful:

1. Media personnel aren't privy to Pat's internal roster plans unless the Pats are using the media to deal a player.
2. The Pats have a thoughtful, flexible plan.
3. The majority of posters here understand #1 and #2 and aren't the blind homers that so many paint them as.
4. Although the Pats have lots of FAs after 2016 they also have lots of money.
5. The sky isn't falling.

Last edited:

Crickets.

No crickets, I'm laughing my ass off. I had forgotten that you were the chicken little who was crying about how bad this season's team was going to be, that they would lose at least 6 games, and that Oakland and Pittsburgh should be favored over them to win the AFC, and that was before Brady's suspension was reinstated. And you called those who informed you that Vegas made the Patriots favorites a bunch of homers simply because they told you the oddsmakers disagreed.

From everything I can tell you are in a constant state of panic so I'm really not going to take your worries seriously.

Now if captain stone starts saying they suck I will have to take that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST