PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UPDATES on Butler situation: Butler wants to be "A Patriots for Life" AND "paid like a Top 10 CB"

Status
Not open for further replies.

49ers still have almost $90M in cap space last I saw so having to sign him should be irrelevant to them. High #2 this year and either #3 this year or #2 next year wouldn't be bad - although I think Bill would want more.

He's entitled to a first. He won't take any less than that.

He's entitled to a first. He won't take any less than that.
Pick 2.2 + 3.2 is equivalent to a #1. Would you prefer that or, say, GB signing him as a RFA and getting 1.29 ? I'd take the 2 + 3.

Pick 2.2 + 3.2 is equivalent to a #1. Would you prefer that or, say, GB signing him as a RFA and getting 1.29 ? I'd take the 2 + 3.

If someone wants to sign Butler to an offer sheet, and the Patriots decline to match the offer, it will cost the team a first round pick.

If Green Bay COULD sign Butler to a top-of-the-market deal (it would be very difficult for them to do so without making some significant restructures), I think the Patriots would be very happy getting Green Bay's first pick in compensation.

Considering we spent no draft capital to get him originally, and got two seasons of high-level play from him, I'd be pretty happy with it to.

Besides, who's to say Belichick couldn't flip that Packers pick into a 2nd and 3rd?

First round pick gets you the 5th option year. That's why I'd rather have it. A third round pick is pretty much a coinflip anyway.

Maybe not.

My God don't let @Actual Pats Fan see that version of the flying Elvis logo.
It's okay, they probably aren't contractually allowed to use the team's official one.

Anyway, looks like two ways to view the thing: One, he's looking up and to the left, maybe at a banner, though from his expression it seems like the 2007 18-0 Colts-like silliness floating away in the breeze, although:
th

Two, he's looking right at us, with a strong chin just like Tom's:
th
th
needs to lose the patch

Would love to see Tom and the team look like the champions they are this year:
th
th
th

Did you take that same stance when Chris Mortensen reported what he was told?

I agree with Ken; you need to do more than just parrot what a source told you.

The two situations aren't remotely comparable. Howe was quoting a named source talking about events he was directly party to.

I would have had no problem with Mort reporting what he was told if he'd included who it was that was telling it to him, and how this person came by the information.

If someone wants to sign Butler to an offer sheet, and the Patriots decline to match the offer, it will cost the team a first round pick.

If Green Bay COULD sign Butler to a top-of-the-market deal (it would be very difficult for them to do so without making some significant restructures), I think the Patriots would be very happy getting Green Bay's first pick in compensation.

Considering we spent no draft capital to get him originally, and got two seasons of high-level play from him, I'd be pretty happy with it to.

Besides, who's to say Belichick couldn't flip that Packers pick into a 2nd and 3rd?

First round pick gets you the 5th option year. That's why I'd rather have it. A third round pick is pretty much a coinflip anyway.
I'd prefer not to deal with Green Bay at all. Much rather send him to an irrelevant team like the Saints.

Don't see how butler will accept their offer. He thinks he's s a top 5 cb. No one else does, apparently. And the saints will want a discount for the pick they give up. Which means no deal!

Butler and his agent shopping around

So, as part of the performance based pay that the league hands out, Butler earned an extra 368,882.72 for 2016. That means he topped $1M when you include what they get paid as workout bonuses and play-offs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3