PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower/Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I know I'm beating a dead horse a little bit over here with the Hightower/Collins contract talk but I'm quite surprised nothing has been done and it doesn't even seem like it's in the works. Maybe it is and we don't know (very possible) but I wonder what's going on? Hightower and Collins are two of the best LBs in the game. When they are both healthy...I'd put them somewhere in the 4-6 range. I don't know of how many that are better and more complete. They might even be better than that. Both are still young, SB champs, and have played out their rookie deals. They deserve to get paid.

I know we have alot of guys that need to get paid after the year....but those two should be taken care of first IMO. Butler has only really played in full one year. He needs to prove it again this year. Sheard as well. But I do reckon that those guys should also get extensions after the season.

I hate to say it but Chandler Jones came in with Hightower and I'm sure Collins is close with that bunch as well...his comments could have been echoed. Have to hope those two aren't bitter about it. I know that's purely speculation and negotiations could very well be going on behind closed doors but it is a little bit of a concern.

An interesting point was made on the radio of a boston sports station. I forgot who said it but i will share it.

When it comes to Sheard/Hightower/Collins if you plan extend all of them then you should do it all together. If you extend just one it could build some resentment which you don't want. I am a big believer in extending special guys early and by that i mean 2 years in advance. BB rarely does this cause of injuries and i understand that but if you want to have any realistic savings that matter you have to be early and give a longer contract. I would have done this for Collins, Hightower, Butler and Sheard. A good defense needs stars and these guys are star players you can build around.

McCourty didn't receive his until the end of the season. It's not necessarily the end of the world that nothing has begun.

My prediction, though, is only one gets extended. I just get that sense the more I think about it. And if I had to guess, I think High is the one allowed to walk. Call me crazy (I am:D). I'd like to keep both and, if I buy Madden, I'm keeping both.:D

EDIT: And then I read this... Sunday NFL Notes: What does Dont’a Hightower’s new locker location say about his status with the franchise?

Last edited:
An interesting point was made on the radio of a boston sports station. I forgot who said it but i will share it.

When it comes to Sheard/Hightower/Collins if you plan extend all of them then you should do it all together. If you extend just one it could build some resentment which you don't want. I am a big believer in extending special guys early and by that i mean 2 years in advance. BB rarely does this cause of injuries and i understand that but if you want to have any realistic savings that matter you have to be early and give a longer contract. I would have done this for Collins, Hightower, Butler and Sheard. A good defense needs stars and these guys are star players you can build around.
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong about anything, nor is this an agree or disagree thing with me. I just want to point out that not every player necessarily wants to be extended early. Some players bank on themselves to be able to stay healthy and perform at a high enough level to try to get a huge deal on the open market. Moreover, a lot of guys prefer shorter deals in order to try to cash in more than once or even twice (see Revis). It was just earlier this off season that Gronk was reported to have been in search of a "new" deal for example, which illustrates, in part, my point. There's always a risk/reward relationship at play with contracts that doesn't always just come down to the dollar amount at the end.

To me Collins is a major priority. You just can't risk letting this guy walk.

If Collins walks, it will be one of the greatest blunders in the history of this front office

I don't think belichick typically gives out 2 massive contracts to the same position group, but I'm hoping that he views Collins as more of a OLB/Pass Rusher and Hightower as more of a true ILB. With no Chandler Jones to worry about, there is zero excuse to let both of these guys walk..

They could also be interested in extending Sheard, which IMO would make it that much more unlikely that they would extend both Hightower and Collins.. If they only extend 1 of them, I think Collins would be the better choice but that is by a HAIR... I'd really hate to lose either one of them

Last edited:

That sounds good on the surface but it assumes the team is the only party in the negotiations. I'm sure Belichick would love to get them all done at once but he's got three players and their agents that would have to agree to their deals at the same time. It's not a realistic scenario.

If Collins walks, it will be one of the greatest blunders in the history of this front office

I don't think belichick typically gives out 2 massive contracts to the same position group, but I'm hoping that he views Collins as more of a OLB/Pass Rusher and Hightower as more of a true ILB. With no Chandler Jones to worry about, there is zero excuse to let both of these guys walk..

They could also be interested in extended Sheard, which IMO would make it that much more unlikely that they would extend both Hightower and Collins.. If they only extend 1 of them, I think Collins would be the better choice but that is by a HAIR... I'd really hate to lose either one of them
And this is precisely why I believe one of the LB's (High is my assumption) will be allowed to walk. If Sheard has a monster season, which I fully expect based on how he played in a limited role last season and what he's doing so far this off season, they'll want him to stay (and rightfully so). They wanted to draft him in fact. And great edge rushers who can also set the edge AND kick inside effectively don't grow in trees. You lock someone like that up every time.

Collins is a rare athlete you just don't see every day in this league. BB, himself, said this VERY thing about him. In fact, I find it hard to think of someone quite like him in recent memory. I think Zo mentioned him being compared to Urlacher during Thursday's broadcast. I think he is an even better athlete than that, not that Urlacher was a slouch. Collins is just too good. And if he has improved in pass coverage (specifically man), his only weakness coming into this season, then we're set. Everything else - speed, quickness, power, agility, vertical, intelligence, aggressiveness - are ALL there. He can play inside. He can rush of the edge. And he's durable, only missing time because of his MRSA... I mean "mysterious illness.":p

High is a GREAT football player, but it's easier to find another one of him than it is a Collins or Sheard. He also is almost guaranteed an injury or two every season, even though he typically plays through them when he can manage. That's why I think he'll be the one leaving, if any. I ABSOLUTELY love High and I would be sad genuinely to see him depart. I will follow his career and still wear his jersey. And I will NEVER forget that it was his play on Beast Mode that made the Butler play even possible. But he's still the most replaceable of the four...which brings me to the fourth guy...

Butler will be extended, and the team just can't afford all four. You need a shutdown (or extremely close to it) guy in this league nowadays. Butler is that dude. The OP says he has to prove it still. I disagree. I've seen enough. Ryan is most likely gone after this season. We don't know yet what we have in Cy. Jones (or Coleman and co. for that matter). People think he was drafted as Butler insurance and that could very well be. But I think he's more Logan Ryan insurance. Allowing Butler to walk would be huge blunder as well for all these reasons. That won't happen. I feel very strongly he'll be a Patriot so long as he's not expecting Revis money.

So to sum it all up, I think it's Collins/Sheard/Butler, and I would agree (though very sadly). Whatever team High would end up on would be a team I'd somewhat root for, except the Jets, Ravens, Steelers of Colts. I just can't with those organizations. Even the Broncos would be hard.

[And as somewhat of an aside, I hope they find a way to work Bennett into the fold if the price is reasonable. Keep the two TE in place. Ninko seems like the type to take a team friendly deal, so I'm not overly concerned there. We'll see.]

Last edited:
hightower is the captain of the defense, the guy who wears the green dot. his talent may not be quite the level of collins but imho equally as valuable.

Last edited:
Ya Jamie Collins top of the list to resign

hightower is the captain of the defense, the guy who wears the green dot. his tslent may not be quite the level of collins but imho equally as valuable.
Collins has also worn the green dot.

Last edited:
And this is precisely why I believe one of the LB's (High is my assumption) will be allowed to walk. If Sheard has a monster season, which I fully expect based on how he played in a limited role last season and what he's doing so far this off season, they'll want him to stay (and rightfully so). They wanted to draft him in fact. And great edge rushers who can also set the edge AND kick inside effectively don't grow in trees. You lock someone like that up every time.

Collins is a rare athlete you just don't see every day in this league. BB, himself, said this VERY thing about him. In fact, I find it hard to think of someone quite like him in recent memory. I think Zo mentioned him being compared to Urlacher during Thursday's broadcast. I think he is an even better athlete than that, not that Urlacher was a slouch. Collins is just too good. And if he has improved in pass coverage (specifically man), his only weakness coming into this season, then we're set. Everything else - speed, quickness, power, agility, vertical, intelligence, aggressiveness - are ALL there. He can play inside. He can rush of the edge. And he's durable, only missing time because of his MRSA... I mean "mysterious illness.":p

High is a GREAT football player, but it's easier to find another one of him than it is a Collins or Sheard. He also is almost guaranteed an injury or two every season, even though he typically plays through them when he can manage. That's why I think he'll be the one leaving, if any. I ABSOLUTELY love High and I would be sad genuinely to see him depart. I will follow his career and still wear his jersey. And I will NEVER forget that it was his play on Beast Mode that made the Butler play even possible. But he's still the most replaceable of the four...which brings me to the fourth guy...

Butler will be extended, and the team just can't afford all four. You need a shutdown (or extremely close to it) guy in this league nowadays. Butler is that dude. The OP says he has to prove it still. I disagree. I've seen enough. Ryan is most likely gone after this season. We don't know yet what we have in Cy. Jones (or Coleman and co. for that matter). People think he was drafted as Butler insurance and that could very well be. But I think he's more Logan Ryan insurance. Allowing Butler to walk would be huge blunder as well for all these reasons. That won't happen. I feel very strongly he'll be a Patriot so long as he's not expecting Revis money.

So to sum it all up, I think it's Collins/Sheard/Butler, and I would agree (though very sadly). Whatever team High would end up on would be a team I'd somewhat root for, except the Jets, Ravens, Steelers of Colts. I just can't with those organizations. Even the Broncos would be hard.

[And as somewhat of an aside, I hope they find a way to work Bennett into the fold if the price is reasonable. Keep the two TE in place. Ninko seems like the type to take a team friendly deal, so I'm not overly concerned there. We'll see.]
The thing is, I have a really hard time seeing them let High walk. Hightower is the leader of this defense. He's the modern day Tedy, if you will. Collins, on the other hand, reminds me of some of the other guys BB has let walk. Definitely hope I'm wrong on the Collins part, though.

The thing is, I have a really hard time seeing them let High walk. Hightower is the leader of this defense. He's the modern day Tedy, if you will. Collins, on the other hand, reminds me of some of the other guys BB has let walk. Definitely hope I'm wrong on the Collins part, though.

I think you are correct. Signing Hightower is job one.

Like who? I don't believe the team has ever had an athlete like Collins at the position, or possibly ever other than Randy Moss or, and this is a stretch, Aaron Hernandez (who was maybe just more versatile than a pure athletic freak).

Last edited:
'
Has he? I don't recall him wearing the dot, but I wouldn't be surprised either
Immediately SD 2014 comes to mind. I'm willing to bet any other game Hightower has missed as well.

Better chance Butler is walked or offered a deal below market value.
If you can get to the QB it helps the secondary.
We have alot of young guys hungry in the secondary you may hate it but our superbowl hero may walk.

First domino to fall is Gronk once his deal is done.
Collins then Hightower have to be the next priorities.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Better chance Butler is walked or offered a deal below market value.
If you can get to the QB it helps the secondary.
We have alot of young guys hungry in the secondary you may hate it but our superbowl hero may walk.
I dont know how this is funny its very possible Butler out of the three is the one to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes