PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

News regarding extensions for Pats Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Bill B is going to let Collins go without doing his utmost to keep JC a Patriot throughout his prime - and Collins has not entered his prime years yet but will on his next contract.

Collins was overlooked by every team in the year he came out of the draft which is why he went in the second round. Despite the Southern Miss Golden Eagles losing every match of his senior season - Bill knew he could play. So what if Collins played for small school, imagine if he had been at a a college with a heralded football programme. I think if that year's draft is redone today then Collins goes second overall behind the Steeler's Bell.

Bill knows the way the NFL is trending, players having a wider ranger of skills and safety-linebacker hybrids. Guess what? We have one of those already in the shape of Collins. Why give him up when it might be near impossible to draft another player with similar skills.

Bennett has been great this season so far but I would much prefer using the salary cap to keep Collins here on the defence for another five years rather than Bennett a luxury on the offence who would be entering his ninth year. If we can keep both then thats ideal.

I love both Collins and Hightower and hope we can keep both. But it's a business and the Patriots make business decisions. If we had to decide between one of them, boy, I wouldn't want to be the person making that choice. Both are great. For all the (deserved) accolades Collins gets as an athletic freak, Hightower's combination between size and mobility shouldn't be overlooked too. Usually LBs of his size and strength aren't that mobile (think Brandon Spikes).

I agree.

Folks ignore the personal. Why should Collins be in Boston for half the year when he can be in FL, TN or TX? I'm presuming that the patriots don't offer lots MORE than other teams to make up the difference.

If he signs a 4 year contract with someone, does he want to marry and raise a child here?

Yea, new england really sucks weather wise outside of like 3-4 months out of the year.. there is no real draw to playing for the Patriots as far as the city/geographical location is concerned

Before running to grab the big dollar contracts, our pending free agents should sit down with Long and Bennett and listen to their experiences when it comes to enjoying big contracts and their job and life satisfaction when playing for franchises with a recent history of losing.

Yea, new england really sucks weather wise outside of like 3-4 months out of the year.. there is no real draw to playing for the Patriots as far as the city/geographical location is concerned

Weather isn't everything, though. I wonder where this "Collins wants to play in the warm weather" thing came from. I respect it if it's got an actual origin, but not if we're just speculating based on where he's from and some perceived lack of wanting to play for a winner.

Before running to grab the big dollar contracts, our pending free agents should sit down with Long and Bennett and listen to their experiences when it comes to enjoying big contracts and their job and life satisfaction when playing for franchises with a recent history of losing.

They're also pending free agents who might leave us for a ****ty team with a lot of money again, though. Neither of them seem like that guy, but we're also not the only contender. I expect Bennett to be a Seahawk next year.

They're also pending free agents who might leave us for a ****ty team with a lot of money again, though. Neither of them seem like that guy, but we're also not the only contender. I expect Bennett to be a Seahawk next year.

Are you suggesting that the is NFL going to bar us from putting the franchise tag on Bennett?

Are you suggesting that the is NFL going to bar us from putting the franchise tag on Bennett?

I wouldn't mind that but I wouldn't bet on it either.

EDIT: My wording was ambiguous. However, I wouldn't put anything past the NFL at this point...

Weather isn't everything, though. I wonder where this "Collins wants to play in the warm weather" thing came from. I respect it if it's got an actual origin, but not if we're just speculating based on where he's from and some perceived lack of wanting to play for a winner.

Im not sure what Collins preference is, although I'd imagine if he grew up down south that he would be more inclined to want to be there if possible.. but I think overall, as far as free agents go, there isn't a huge draw to come play in Masschussetts like there would be in say Miami, Dallas, LA, Seattle, etc

I might be in the minority, but Bennett would be a priority for me.

How'd Brady get rolling Sunday? Twin towers. Unstoppable. The guy does everything well. With him and Gronk on the field, this team will never be out of a game.

Love Collins, High, and Butler, but Marty is the hardest to replace.

Im not sure what Collins preference is, although I'd imagine if he grew up down south that he would be more inclined to want to be there if possible.. but I think overall, as far as free agents go, there isn't a huge draw to come play in Masschussetts like there would be in say Miami, Dallas, LA, Seattle, etc

I suggest that this be a stickie.

That's definitely an option but so is leaving for a contender with cap space. I haven't looked into who those teams are just yet but I do believe feeling counts for something and thus far, Long and Bennett appear to be cherishing this experience. That's gotta count for something, right?

That's definitely an option but so is leaving for a contender with cap space. I haven't looked into who those teams are just yet but I do believe feeling counts for something and thus far, Long and Bennett appear to be cherishing this experience. That's gotta count for something, right?

Yeah, I meant to say that I expect Long and Bennett either to re-sign here or go to another contender with money, not a ****ty team like I said for some reason. I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes