PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the pats don't resign him in the off season

does that mean they get compensatory 3rd Rounder?

Yes
qualifications being as always that its net of guys lost vs FAs signed

Last edited:
how many games does he have left on his suspension?

I agree they did look pretty good last week but, that was against the Rams. Against more serious competition Broncos/Texans/Ravens and maybe even Steelers I would rather have the tandem of McCourty and Talib at corner. Especially since the Pats don't often switch their corners and generally play a LCB and a RCB.

Thing is that the Pats are, quite obviously, attempting to move toward a starting set of corners that excel in press man to man coverage. Dennard fits that mold. Cole looked like he fits that mold. Talib obviously fits that mold. McCourty doesn't quite fit that mold. They'll go with Talib, Dennard, and Cole (more than likely) and keep McCourty at safety where, against the pass, he's better than Chung and gets to keep his head turned toward the play. Gregory and Wilson will duke it out for the last safety position.

That's the key. Talib and Dennard can play aggress press/man coverage and bump receivers off their routes, with McCourty playing FS and making sure that they don't get burned too badly, allowing the front 7 to pin their ears back and attack. It works much better when both your CBs are suited to the same kind of approach and when you have a safety who can cover your back. Before, McCourty wasn't well suited to man coverage and the deep safety protection was abysmal.

mayoclinic - did you call this deal? Chung for Talib?

Credit to you for having the eye out for Talib if this was the case.

I'm fine with giving up the pick and I really like this move. If Talib can give them quality play at CB and the safeties get healthy I think the secondary imProves significantly. If they can turn that unit around they will be in great shape for the play-offs. Good to see them making moves to upgrade at the deadline.

Last edited:
wow! great trade

if you keep him clean, he's amazing

What has Dennard REALLY done except show some potential? I really rather not have a rookie out there playing a major role.

what has McCourty done to earn the right to start at CB? besides giving up big play after big play and PI after PI because he can't turn around for the fcking ball.

Dowling to IR started the chain, unless I'm forgetting someone.

The Pats signed Malcolm Williams to replace Dowling. Williams or Martin will be cut in all likelihood.

Through 4 games:

Thrown At: 36 times
Receptions Allowed: 24 (Catch allowed 66% of the time)
Yards Given Up: 399 (over 16 yards per reception)

1 TD Allowed, 1 INT, 6 PD.

QBs have a rating of 101.5 throwing into his coverage.

What has Dennard REALLY done except show some potential? I really rather not have a rookie out there playing a major role.

I thought he's played pretty good. Hasn't got torched, 2 INTs, and has some PDs.

There's no way that the Pats gave up a #1 pick for Talib. He's in the last year of his contract, has major character concerns, is serving a suspension, and the Bucs were going to let him walk after this season anyway. A 3rd rounder would be too much.

The Pats gave up a 4th in 2013 for Talib and a 7th.

It's a pricey deal for a 7-11 game rental. I'm fine with it, but it's a pricey deal.

With the typical hit rate of 4th rounders it doesn't strike me as pricey.

what has McCourty done to earn the right to start at CB? besides giving up big play after big play and PI after PI because he can't turn around for the fcking ball.

This shows how much you haven't been watching the games. McCourty hasn't given up big play after big play and PI after PI this year. That has been Arrington. McCourty has been the best player in the secondary followed by Wilson and Dennard.

Thing is that the Pats are, quite obviously, attempting to move toward a starting set of corners that excel in press man to man coverage. Dennard fits that mold. Cole looked like he fits that mold. Talib obviously fits that mold. McCourty doesn't quite fit that mold. They'll go with Talib, Dennard, and Cole (more than likely) and keep McCourty at safety where, against the pass, he's better than Chung and gets to keep his head turned toward the play. Gregory and Wilson will duke it out for the last safety position.

You make very good points and might even be correct in the direction of the team. Its just my opinion that you get more value out of McCourty at corner than safety. I would compare it to Welker playing outside versus inside. Im sure he could play outside but his real value is inside. Either way good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST