PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it.

Keep McCourty at safety, hope Cole is fine and all of a sudden 3 positions in the secondary is better with 1 addition because Wilson/Chung/Gregory will know they have to perform to stay in the lineup next to McCourty at S.

For a seven (hopefully more) game rental, the price is pretty high. The timing kind of stinks -- if the trade deadline were next week, we could have gotten him for 8 games by having him sit for the Bucs game this weekend against Oakland. One more game of getting him into the system would have been nice with the 49ers and Texans looming.

I guess I sort of see the move as pretty crucial. We don't have a corner over 5'10" and the team is looking at Manningham, Moss, Crabtree, the two giants on Houston, Hartline, etc., in the second half of the season.

If there were a guy above 6 foot who could play the position who didn't punch cab drivers or get suspended for PEDs that we could get for a fourth, that would have been better. But since those guys don't exist I'll take what we can get. If he can be a big body that makes a QB take an extra beat before throwing the ball now and again, that's an improvement. As the weather changes, we can't count on putting up 40 points each week -- getting off the field on third down is where it's at.

He has the potential to turn around the secondary. It was well worth the risk. He is a mental midget off of the field, but, if he is healthy and grows up a little bit...this could be a steal!

what has McCourty done to earn the right to start at CB? besides giving up big play after big play and PI after PI because he can't turn around for the fcking ball.
Since he has not done what you claim he has, it is easy to see why you don't understand.

I love this trade! yes, the dude has some baggage but there is no question that he is a talent upgrade at our weekest team position. If he gets on board, he is in a winning locker room for the first time in a long time. Tampa Bay and before that Kansas.
Thsi should allow us to blitz more. I see more turn overs too.

The team did not sit on its ass and do nothing. It went out and aggressively tried to fix a real area of weekness. I love it!!!

I think Talib's off the field actions are a direct result of being the best player on a losing team. He will learn to act and behave differently on a winning team where he's maybe not even in the top 10 best players.

I was driving home from getting my hair cut and hadn't heard of the trade yet. I'm listening to Felget and Maz and they are going off about why wouldn't you at least try to sign a corner and then talking about Talib and I'm thinking they are just Pats bashing when they said something that made me think hold on did they pull the trigger on this deal?

Very nice surprise.

I like the move, first off, he almost has to be better than anyone we have, secondly even if he walks, the Pats sill will get a comp pickfor him. Hopefully he likes winning and will pull his head out of his arse and lay well and stick around.

So what's the bullet point summary of Talib's rap sheet?

I did the Tiger Woods fist pump when I heard this.

tiger_woods_fist_pump.jpg

I like the move, first off, he almost has to be better than anyone we have, secondly even if he walks, the Pats sill will get a comp pickfor him. Hopefully he likes winning and will pull his head out of his arse and lay well and stick around.

That pretty much sums it up. We couldn't possibly be worse back there, and giving up a 4th for a solid player with issues is MORE than worth it. I applaud Belichick for this move, it means he sees the problems and is willing to go for it during the Brady window.

I am thrilled by this move, mostly because they are acknowledging a glaring weakness and it's a strong sign of the awareness of our FO/Belichick.

Last edited:

A lot of bone head stuff...... hopefully now that he's in a new situation and surrounded by new people, he will smarten up.

He's 26 now so he's more mature than when he first came into the league. Belichick should be able to keep him in check.

Last edited:

Legal and conduct issues

Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[10] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[11] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[12] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[13] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[14] On June 18, 2012 the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[15]

It's been listed 3 times in the thread already..

2008- Fight with teammate at the Rookie Symposium
2009- Fight with cabbie - Charges dropped
2010- Supposedly fired shots at sister's boyfriend - Charges dropped.

Suspended for 4 games for adderall without proper NFL notification.

I did the Tiger Woods fist pump when I heard this.

tiger_woods_fist_pump.jpg

Me, I was so jacked & pumped that I did the Tiger Woods...
Sorry, I remembered it's a family site
My bad

Last edited:
To address all the posts saying Talib and Spikes tested positive for Adderall....the NFL can't disclose which drugs a player tested positive for so the Adderall stuff is coming from the players or their agents. Do you really think all these players (Haden included) are risking hundreds of thousands of dollars to take freaking Adderall? Do you really think they all made the same mistake?

IMO there's a 99% chance these guys were all taking some form of Steroids or masking agent. They're just saying it was Adderall because that is a better PR move.

If anyone has a counter argument to this theory let me know.

That sounds like a great pickup. Has anybody been following his play recently?

it's a strong sign of the awareness of our FO/Belichick.

A one-legged deaf mute blind nomad from the Sahara thats never heard of Football could pinpoint the secondary as the teams major weakness.

That sounds like a great pickup. Has anybody been following his play recently?

I know this is going to piss everyone off but... he's looked good in every game except... Wait for it... ugh ******* ****..... against the Giants in week 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference