PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ted Washington NT rented for a 4th, Pats went from worst run D in 2002 and won the 203 SB

Look at what Jonathan Joseph did to the Houston secondary, which was the worst of all time in 2010. Obviously the additions to the front 7 helped tremendously (JJ Watt, Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed. But Houston's secondary play in 2010 was abysmal, and Joseph was a key addition.

Talib is a darn good CB. He and Dennard together can play a physical press/man coverage scheme, with Devin McCourty playing a ballhawking free safety role and making sure that they don't get burned deep. If the CBs can jam the opposing WRs and the safety coverage can watch their backs, the front 7 can start to tee off more on opposing QBs and the defense can open things up more.

Talib COULD - not that he necessarily will, but he certainly has the potential to do so - make that kind of difference to our defense. And that difference could be the difference between a playoff team and a championship team.

Worth a 4th round pick (minus a 7th round back)? I'd think so. Is there risk involved? Certainly. But this team is very close, and I'm not sure I saw any other realistic option in 2012 that would have had as much of a chance of having as much of a potential impact on transforming this defense into one worthy of a SB team. That's partly why I was hoping that the Pats would pull the trigger on this trade if the opportunity came along.

The Pats signed Malcolm Williams to replace Dowling. Williams or Martin will be cut in all likelihood.

Ok, so I'd forgotten about Williams. Thanks for the update/correction.

WHAT, I need to do less work at work and pay more attention to the web.

The key is to be working from home,AND have NFL Live on at the same time lol.

I applaud management for this deal. It appears that he was the best available secondary player and we needed to do something. Imo the price is not too high for the risk / reward. If he plays near his potential I think we win the superbowl. Without improving the secondary it was going to be a crap shoot. Well done BB & crew!!

Wow this is good stuff!! for a 4th round pick this is well worth the risk

Looks like his suspension will be for five weeks now given that the Pats have a bye this week

what has McCourty done to earn the right to start at CB? besides giving up big play after big play and PI after PI because he can't turn around for the fcking ball.

mccourty should have like 5 picks this season and he's given up like what 1 or 2 bad pass interference's, i forget who but someone posted opponents qb rating vs mccourty this year its a WHOPPING 67 i believe. Meanwhile abs vs arrington have like a 150 rating. McCourty is a good corner.

Devin Mccourty 2010 Ultimate Rookie Highlights - YouTube

Adderall is a standard medication for Attention Deficit Disorder - half of the kids in your local junior high are legally using it to sit still in class.

I, for one, hope that Aquib Talib brings a big old gym bag full of Adderall with him to the defensive back meetings.

Those knuckleheads can use all the help they can get to stayed focused on the football as it's sailing towards the guy they're supposed to be covering!

I thought he's played pretty good. Hasn't got torched, 2 INTs, and has some PDs.

Yea I agree he has looked good. My point was more that I want my best players at the position of most value. Which, IMO was at corner. I personally would rather not be relying on a rookie at such a crucial position even if the rookie has looked good so far.

Might not be just a rental, if this kid behaves himself I can see him re-upping here to stay.

Great move for a 4th. Lock down guy that will give us so many more scheme options now on defense.

Worth reading every post in this thread.

This is a GREAT DAY for so many reasons Let me start.

1. You can't have too many 6'1 200+ lb CBs who can play, especially in this day and age.

2. I saw a stat that had him at 28 tackles in 4 games That's a lot for a CB. So not only are we getting an improved pass defender, we are getting a ANOTHER plus run defender on the corner..

3. I can't remember the number now but IIRC he averaged 4 passes defended per game as well. That's another good number.

4. Between Talib, Dennard, and McCourty (if he learns to turn his head) The Pats Pats will have 3 CBs capable of playing man coverage. That's a lot higher than the usual number we have on the Pats

5. Having Talib, Dennard, McCourty, and Dowling next year is a size and skill set combination that I'm very excited about. But that's next year.

6. The price was on the high side of fair IMHO - I think the risk. plus the possibility of him missing a game would have have made a 5th more appropriate. In pure talent it would have been a steal at twice the cost, especially when you consider that that pick is likely to be on of the last 4 in the round

7. With perfect 20-20 hindsight it all makes perfect sense right now. The loss of Dowling and the realization that Moore wasn't cutting it, made the Pats at least look for help at CB. Cromartie-Rogers and Talib were the only 2 real choices out there, and Talib's talent, price size, age, upside, and potential contract situation, outweighed his risk when compared to Rogers -Cromartie who would have been a much safer, but more expensive pick.

8. It might not work out well. They don't all don't. But Ocho didn't fail for lack of effort on Chad's part. If you look at most of the FA deals the Pats have brought in, those that fail usually fail because the player can't play anymore. Only Haynesworth didn't work out solely because the player was a turd.

Well Talib is reportedly a turd that loves to play and is very coachable. Make sure he has a good support staff around him in New England and it likely will go well for him here. Still a risk that has to be recognized but definitely worth a shot.

8, BTW- Don't be surprised to he Sterling Moore back on the PS on Monday.

I am on record saying that I thought getting back Chung and Gregory at safety is going to greatly improve the secondary. Talib's addition should improve it even more because he will allow the defense to be more flexible because we'll be able to play more man coverages with more confidence.

Good job Bill....or whomever we should be giving credit for this deal.

Thing is that the Pats are, quite obviously, attempting to move toward a starting set of corners that excel in press man to man coverage. Dennard fits that mold. Cole looked like he fits that mold. Talib obviously fits that mold. McCourty doesn't quite fit that mold. They'll go with Talib, Dennard, and Cole (more than likely) and keep McCourty at safety where, against the pass, he's better than Chung and gets to keep his head turned toward the play. Gregory and Wilson will duke it out for the last safety position.

One thing that I like about this move is that it shows consistency of direction. As you say, the Pats are quite obviously attempting to move toward a starting set of corners that excell in press man to man coverage. Talib and Dennard both fit that mold. Dowling was also suited to that style of play. Cole looks like he could fit. McCourty, for all his talent - and it is considerable, despite his detractors - didn't fit that mold. So he was out of place in a press/man scheme, and the other players didn't fit well in a zone coverage scheme. Plus the deep safety coverage sucked big time, which magnified the coverage lapses. Getting a bunch of CBs who excel at press/man coverage and moving McCourty to FS 2 problems: it makes the CB coverage more consistent to the skill set of the players, and it makes the safety coverage better suited to provide deep protection. McCourty has the best vision, ball skills and range of any of the DBs, but only when the ball is in front of him.

Adderall is a standard medication for Attention Deficit Disorder - half of the kids in your local junior high are legally using it to sit still in class.

I, for one, hope that Aquib Talib brings a big old gym bag full of Adderall with him to the defensive back meetings.

Those knuckleheads can use all the help they can get to stayed focused on the football as it's sailing towards the guy they're supposed to be covering!

The whole Addreall thing is waaaaay overrated. It's just not that strong. You get the same effect from a double or triple espresso.

To be fair Deus, they are massive concerns. The kid's a walking rap-sheet and headache.

Huge talent, which I think we'll be able to keep on the straight and narrow, but the concerns are real.

Still tho, gimme the headcase talent over the nice guy scrub.

The whole Addreall thing is waaaaay overrated. It's just not that strong. You get the same effect from a double or triple espresso.

I believe Brandon Spikes was suspended for the same thing.

As I recall, Spikes' claim was that he had a prescription for it and didn't know it still had to be cleared with the league.

Coach42 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunescribe

don't know if they ever specifically said aderall but yes, he was suspended for add medication

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

People have been pointing out his well known issues from the beginning, so I don't know where you're coming from with the "giving the guy a pass" assertion.

I guess I must have misinterpreted the first six pages of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST