PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Is it the beginning or is it the end?" name that tune and artist (hint: think 70s)

Headed to the game tomorrow w my oldest, let's hope he brings good luck again...his last game was 2017 vs San Diego, a W. I pray he doesn't witness the beginning of the end tomorrow.
Don't worry it looks to be one of those low scoring slap fights. A battle between two of the weakest and most inconsistent offenses in the NFL.

In this type of game with the homefield advantage, the Patriots will probably be able to edge out the Saints but I'm betting the game will be ugly. Might have to count on the defense to chip in some points to get the win.

But I guess an ugly win is better than a pretty loss. At least the Saints look as bad as we do on offense.

No question this is an important game and that they should try to "bounce back." The question is do they have the players and the coaching to accomplish this? I hope they win, and I'll root for them to do so, but I don't think they will. Given the sub-par start, nearly all the games going forward will be "must-win" or nearly so, but all the sense of urgency, fan support, hopeful takes, etc, in the world don't matter if you lack the resources needed to win. No one likes a gratuitously negative take, but in this case, a negative take and a realistic take are one in the same. I don't think they are going to win enough games to be relevant this year, so I'm concentrating on what can be accomplished over the next couple of years, in part because there is reason to hope we might actually get competitive in that time frame. Hoping we can work our way back to relevance this year isn't a hopeful take at all: it is a take doomed to disappointment, and any expectation this team can succeed this year at all doesn't "support" the team: it just imposes on them expectations they have no chance of meeting.
I could understand why someone would have that attitude if we were on the road in KC or Buffalo, but they are playing the Saints at home. I can see many paths to victory, and I refuse to lower my expectations because I am afraid to be disappointed. That is weak. It is just a regular season football game. How disappointed can one really be? They very well may lose, but I will believe they will succeed every play offensively and defensively the whole game like I did last week even when they were getting blown out. I simply enjoy the games more when I don't give up on them.

This was an amazing game but people forget, NO messed badly giving brady chance after chance and dropping INTs. What remains is the final drive in everyone's memory. We have had the rub of the green at times our way for so long that we never really appreciated it.

Saints are pretty much a mirror match for the Patriots. It's a battle of the sucky offenses versus the pretty good defenses.

We'll just have to wait and see which QB wets the bed worse, Mac Jones or Derek Carr.

Either way I don't expect to see a lot of points scored by either of these tepid offenses. Might be one of those defensive struggles. BB tends to come out on top of those, well unless Mac Jones gifts the defense another 14 points! LOL
Saints still have some playmakers on offense compared the pats. Pats really dont do one thing well...if at least they could run the ball like last yr there is something you can hang your hat on

1696746260907.jpeg

Let's go ahead and preview this battle of the shrimpiest offenses in the NFL!

• Saints
  • Ranking
  • Patriots
  • Ranking
  • Points per game
15.527th13.830th
  • Yards per game
285.323rd320.319th
  • 3rd Down %
38.3%19th38.7%17th
  • Red Zone TDs per game
1.027th1.323rd
  • Turnovers per game
1.522nd1.826th
  • Yards per Pass Attempt
6.226th6.227th
  • Yards per Rush Attempt
3.527th3.428th

• Summary: Expect a low scoring game. Lots of mistakes. Very few TDs scored in the red zone. Lots of drives killed by inopportune turnovers or penalties. In other words this is the battle of which offense will wet the bed the most!

• Who will take home the award of WORST QB of the game - will it be Mac "Popgun Arm" Jones or will it be Derek "Clueless" Carr? Tune in this Sunday to find out!!!
Prediction: Patriots win ugly thanks to homefield advantage.

Patriot Prawns 13 - Saints Shrimps 10.

Last edited:
"Is it the beginning or is it the end?" name that tune and artist (hint: think 70s)

When will I see you again? The Three Degrees

I remembered the song but had to look up the artist.

This was an amazing game but people forget, NO messed badly giving brady chance after chance and dropping INTs. What remains is the final drive in everyone's memory. We have had the rub of the green at times our way for so long that we never really appreciated it.
That was another EPIC comeback drive for the win by Brady!

By the way the guy who caught the winning pass - Thompkins had a grand total of 33 career games and was out of the NFL after his 3rd year. Brady used to turn nobodies into heroes all the time. This was one of the best examples of Brady making the players around him better.

Sure anyone can look good throwing to Tyreek Hill or Justin Jefferson. Try scoring TDs in the Clutch against NFL defenses while throwing to a nobody like Kenbrell Thompkins!

Reading some of the comments on this thread made me realize that one of the factors contributing to the poor on field results is that there is not as much ownership and accountability for individual players. Before if things went wrong no one questioned the coaching or QB, even when they were subpar for a given game. With TB12 gone BB is given credit for wins and all blame for losses is automatically put on BB and Mac so there is not the same level of ownership across the other players.

Great game, but one of the embarrassing personally.

After the Patriots turnover at the end, I messed up the math in my head and thought the Saints could kneel it four times. Somehow I convinced my father, who is normally an extremely astute football fan, that the game was over and we should leave. We ended up leaving the stadium early and going over to Toby Keith’s to watch the Red Sox playoff game (correct me if I’m wrong, but I BELIEVE it was David Ortiz’s famous comeback grand slam game against the Tigers; what a crazy day for Boston sports).

ONLY time we ever left a close game early in the 10+ years of having season ticket. (TBH, we were in the process of walking out against the Raiders in 2002, but thankfully saw the play was under review on a concession stand tv. We turned around and somehow snuck into two 50-yard line seats probably 30 rows up and got to witness history. [our tickets were the 300s or whatever the equivalent was at the old stadium].

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3