PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key Players [Mac Jones/others] Isn't/Aren't Ready to Play

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread, but I decided to start this to write something more comprehensive. And I didn't want to talk about X and Os or BOB's tactics.

There are some fundamental things happening that are leaving me bewildered.

For instance, we're not playing with enough urgency, preparedness or, heck, violence, up front. I saw Tyreek Hill take out Uche last night with a block and it was one of the most pathetic things. I was hopeful that Uche was coming around and wondered if he'd get his big contract. Well, he needs to turn things around ASAP. Then there's Rham. There's something wrong with him right now, and it's not the OL. He is not decisive. When he needs 1 yard, he dances in the backfield. Something's up. Strange wasn't ready to play either, and I get he's just back, but if you're not ready, Mafi would maybe do a better job. I was watching Onwenu--he held his own and was a man mauler out there; he looked really good. Strange not so much.

Maybe they can all come back and do a Judon (I thought Judon was bad against the run last week, but he had a great game yesterday in all facets).

It looks like several players are not coming prepared to play. And they get exploited because they are not ready.

I'm bolding this because it is the biggest problem I have seen so far: we are telegraphing our plays.

Defenses are teeing off on our OL because they get a running start and they know exactly when we're going to snap it. This was a home game for heaven's sake. Our OL has no chance to stop jailbreaks when the QB is calling for the ball predictably each and every time. I would blitz too in such a situation. No changes in cadence. No variation. This is a home game!!! And when we audible, we try a sweep on 4th and 1 when we need just ONE YARD!!!! He is not seeing the game, not taking command, not playing the head games a QB needs to play with a defense to put his offense and the OL in optimal positions. And it doesn't help him either.

He's jittery, he's skittish, he's throwing off his back foot. He's taking bad sacks. No wonder he's so inaccurate. His long throws are lollipops that bounce off the moon. There is zero confidence he can get anything done back there.

I gave Mac the benefit of the doubt until now, but you can't have a guy cowering back there and not controlling the game. He is the biggest problem. People will talk about the lack of offensive weapons, but the fact is, the QB controls the game, especially at home, and he doesn't maximize his talents or the meager talents of his WRs.

Bill O'Brien has to see this, but it's Mac's 3rd year and I'm not sure what can be done at this point.

I don't have the patience with him to see if he develops into a Geno Smith maybe 5 years down the line. I don't think he will ever even be a Geno Smith.

The O-line will get better, the continuity will improve, Mac will get more comfortable behind it, but when it's crunch time and the defense sends the house in crucial situations, when the heat turns up, especially against good teams, Mac will not answer the call. The good play we'll see from him in the coming weeks will be a mirage.

Oh, and one last thing: Make someone else play FS. We need Dugger up near the line of scrimmage causing havoc.

Your thread title is "Key Players...", but you focus on Mac. Our OL stinks. Our receivers are not dynamic, and the one who might be, the one who showed some flash, but fumbled on that play, was benched for the rest of the game (shades of Butler in the SB). And it's not Mac who calls the plays. If I was to blame anyone, I'd blame the guy at the top, the guy who built this team, the guy who spent all his draft picks on defense and let our most productive receiver the past few years walk away. Same guy who let Brady walk. Yeah, I'm talking about the vaunted Bill Belichick.

Your thread title is "Key Players...", but you focus on Mac. Our OL stinks. Our receivers are not dynamic, and the one who might be, the one who showed some flash, but fumbled on that play, was benched for the rest of the game (shades of Butler in the SB). And it's not Mac who calls the plays. If I was to blame anyone, I'd blame the guy at the top, the guy who built this team, the guy who spent all his draft picks on defense and let our most productive receiver the past few years walk away. Same guy who let Brady walk. Yeah, I'm talking about the vaunted Bill Belichick.
I named Uche, Strange, Rham and a few others.

Not ready to play.

Brady walk? Seriously? You're still on that?

Yes, it says that Mac doesn't do what most QBs should, which is alter cadence, making the snap count less predictable, he bails and cowers, and invites defenses to tee off.

It's a Mac thing, not an OL thing.
Welcome to the dark side of the Patriots saw those deficiencies last year yeah Mac is the elephant in the room.

the guy took this team on his back in the 2nd half for the 2nd week in a row.......he clearly outplayed Tua in the 2nd half last night despite the obvious issues in front of him
He took the team on his back and did what with it? Lose 2 games? Mac had 3 chances in the 4th quarter to take the lead against the Eagles and failed all 3 times. Last night he mustered up a whole 17 points. At some point he will need to be the reason we win and not just a pat on the back and an "Oh well he wasn't the reason we lost".

He took the team on his back and did what with it? Lose 2 games? Mac had 3 chances in the 4th quarter to take the lead against the Eagles and failed all 3 times. Last night he mustered up a whole 17 points. At some point he will need to be the reason we win and not just a pat on the back and an "Oh well he wasn't the reason we lost".

mac doesn't take leads......we doesn't win, he doesn't lose.....he's a player....on a team.....

mac doesn't take leads......we doesn't win, he doesn't lose.....he's a player....on a team.....
Yeah and he is the most important player on the team. He needs to "take leads". We aren't built to play from behind. Mac needs to be the reason we win games at some point. Not week in week out but in a close game or a back and forth game at some point Mac needs to step up and win.

We'll have better luck getting blood from a stone I'm betting on the stone.

Sorry to flip sides on the Mac debate but.

Leftover Thoughts: The Mac Jones blamers still don't get it
The Mac Jones blamers just aren't getting it and other leftover Patriots thoughts
I don't fully blame Mac for being 0-2 or the offense's struggles but he definitely isn't doing what needs to be done to win games. I think this is just where Mac's physical limitations will get us. He doesn't have the skills to elevate those around him and those around him aren't that great.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back