PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's right. Because of the team's incompetence (if you'd like to sub "Bill's incompetence" for "the team's incompetence," be my guest) we have a very dirty set of data re Mac's actual merits. Fortunately, there is no urgent need at this point to act on Mac's status: we are what we are, and there is no realistic prospect of our improving markedly this year. We can let Mac play out the year to build a little clearer take on his skills. I'm not that optimistic about his prospects. Next draft, we need to keep an eye on qb prospects. Our assessment of what might be available given our record, along with our final evaluation of Mac, will determine the course thereafter. ALL of this, of course, is made much more difficult by the fact that as we seek a proper qb, we must also - due to years of incompetent GM decisions - rebuild the team in virtually all other areas.
I'll agree with it all! BB and the team may have had a vision. How ever having a vision and reality are 2 different things. The teams operating business as usual like the championship era. So many reputable people have even said so around the team. Reiss, Curran, perry and BBs buddy Lombardi. I had to come to an epiphany and recognized the team that I watched for 20 seasons win at will isn't anywhere near a contender. I never thought the offense would look this putrid. It's a scoring league and if you can't score then you can't win. In the offseason I'm all in on getting a fresh start. I'll feel this way unless something happens that this team suddenly turns into a contender.

Bourne's play, along with a general sloppiness in WR play (quite apart from their innate skills), lead me to wonder about the quality of coaching that room is getting.
The only WR that is capable of making plays is a rookie. Hence Douglas is the same stature that Troy brown played at.

Pats game is not covered this week in the UK , our provider is showing Giants v Dolphins (then Eagles/Rams and finally Cowboys/49rs)

Mac's given one more week's reprieve... he'd better not suck or even be average.

If so, start Zappe or Grier... and watch magically as the "talentless" weapons starts producing again.

I'll agree with it all! BB and the team may have had a vision. How ever having a vision and reality are 2 different things. The teams operating business as usual like the championship era. So many reputable people have even said so around the team. Reiss, Curran, perry and BBs buddy Lombardi. I had to come to an epiphany and recognized the team that I watched for 20 seasons win at will isn't anywhere near a contender. I never thought the offense would look this putrid. It's a scoring league and if you can't score then you can't win. In the offseason I'm all in on getting a fresh start. I'll feel this way unless something happens that this team suddenly turns into a contender.
I don't think, alas, anything is "suddenly" going to change. In significant part because of managerial errors, the team is maybe halfway through its rebuild. I also think it's a solid take that the GMing over the past few years has been unacceptably incompetent. They need a new GM. If getting one makes it impossible to keep Bill becuase he refuses to surrender the GM responsibilities, he has to go. I would prefer he stay on as coach, but I realize that is unlikely, given Bill's temperament. I still think you make the offer. Two options: 1) surrender the GM job entirely, keeping the HC job, or 2) Let's start planning your tribute day as you walk out the door.

I'm not all that upset about all this. The team has had many ups and downs over the 60 years (Damn, I'm old) I've been a fan. It's just the nature of the beast. It has ever been thus:

iu

I very much wish they had Grier in TC. hard to come into a new system mid-season and compete.

Guy has some tools.

I very much wish they had Grier in TC. hard to come into a new system mid-season and compete.

Guy has some tools.
I suspect they'll give him a legit look as #1 backup. We know what Zappe is and is not, and it's reasonable to think Grier might be preferable, but it'll take at least the remainder of the season to find out.

I don't think, alas, anything is "suddenly" going to change. In significant part because of managerial errors, the team is maybe halfway through its rebuild. I also think it's a solid take that the GMing over the past few years has been unacceptably incompetent. They need a new GM. If getting one makes it impossible to keep Bill becuase he refuses to surrender the GM responsibilities, he has to go. I would prefer he stay on as coach, but I realize that is unlikely, given Bill's temperament. I still think you make the offer. Two options: 1) surrender the GM job entirely, keeping the HC job, or 2) Let's start planning your tribute day as you walk out the door.

I'm not all that upset about all this. The team has had many ups and downs over the 60 years (Damn, I'm old) I've been a fan. It's just the nature of the beast. It has ever been thus:

iu
It feels.. it just feels like this could be BBs last season. I pay attention the body language and he just doesn't seem as engaged as in years past. I believe like you said most of the issues with the roster are self inflicted. I know BB can't make the plays for the players but he chose to sign them! When you're shopping at Building # 19 it's not surprising what the results are.

Boutte is inactive. Unless he's injured, this is just more stupidity imho. Parker an JJSS are obvious dead -enders. Let's get a look at players who might actually have a future here.

Feels like a bad game by Mac and a loss today pretty much ends his career with the Patriots no matter what happens with Bill, they might not bench him but it feels like it's just playing out the string until he's no longer the QB next season.

He already can't beat the playoff teams once you start losing to teams like the Saints at home it's pretty much over.

Feels like whole thing goes pretty much nuclear with a loss today.

It feels.. it just feels like this could be BBs last season. I pay attention the body language and he just doesn't seem as engaged as in years past. I believe like you said most of the issues with the roster are self inflicted. I know BB can't make the plays for the players but he chose to sign them! When you're shopping at Building # 19 it's not surprising what the results are.
He looks unhappy. I feel sorry for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST