PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sounds like a QB switch is on the table with another poor outing from mac.

Seems to me like a generally prudential move to have your QB2 taking snaps with the 1st offense. He should have more than an onlooker's familiarity with the lineup he'd have to work with should he be called upon.

Seems to me like a generally prudential move to have your QB2 taking snaps with the 1st offense. He should have more than an onlooker's familiarity with the lineup he'd have to work with should he be called upon.
I think they were saying Zappe got more snaps than he had in previous weeks, meaning he's better prepared if Mac had to get pulled again.

Let's all hope it doesn't come to that and Mac performs.

Good point. Maybe Mills, Heinicke, Bridgewater? Take all over Zappe.
bleacherreport.com/articles/10050668-patriots-rumors-mac-jones-benching-for-bailey-zappe-isnt-likely-or-imminent

Bad news for Triumph’s binky.

When will I see you again? The Three Degrees

I remembered the song but had to look up the artist.

Ha ha, Exact same here. never would have gotten Three Degrees. This game really feels like it will decide the season.

Man I really hope Mac comes out and balls out.
Me too. But who’s our RT? Lowe giving up 8 or 9 pressures? Sow?

Mac needs a clean pocket to be effective.

Yeah but we had a guy who could win a big game. Not sure we do now.
I often wonder is the team rebuilding or is it rebuilt? I don't know what the plan is going forward. Feels like we will be in the QB market like so many other franchises have had to do over the years. This is what NFL mediocrity feels like I guess.

Me too. But who’s our RT? Lowe giving up 8 or 9 pressures? Sow?

Mac needs a clean pocket to be effective.
Agreed. Mac has so many needs. Will the organization ever give him what he truly needs?

This zappe thing is just a non story . Media is just kicking it up. Zappe was cut by the pats to be picked up by anyone who wanted him. If zappe plays ,then i think it wont be in a close game like the bears game i think.

They are using a TE as a sixth o-linman because they only have four actual o-linemen on the field at any given time doing anything. The Pats might as well not have a RT tackle at this point because having Lowe in the line up isn't much more effective than going with four offensive linemen.

It says "no change is likely or imminent". It's just the media stirring **** because the Pats have no other storylines to report on.

This zappe thing is just a non story . Media is just kicking it up. Zappe was cut by the pats to be picked up by anyone who wanted him. If zappe plays ,then i think it wont be in a close game like the bears game i think.

The real question is how much snaps was Zappe actually getting in practice before this week? From everything we have seen, the Pats want to move on from the guy. So he might not have gotten all that many snaps before this week. Who knows?

Yep. I thought Zappe did outplay Mac for a period of time and that he had as a result earned a genuine evaluation as to what he might become. To a sufficient degree, he has had that chance, mostly in the context of practice and pre-season. Fair enough. The upshot is that while Zappe might have the makings of a so-so backup, there is no prospect of his becoming a "franchise QB." To a sufficient degree, I think he got his shot. At this point, he is competing for the backup job, a competition which it seems likely he will ultimately lose. So it's not a happy tale, but it has ended where it properly should have. I wish him well, wherever he ends up and whatever he ends up doing.

Last edited:
i may be in the minority but i am not a bourne fan. he is decent and all but talks too much game and fails to deliver when needed. he is too undisplined with routes and cant count on him to make that hard must have it 3rd down catch a la edelman, But he believes in his mind, the game is played on paper where he was saying last week that we wll try and exploit dallas man coverage or last yr after the bills game where he questioned the approach and all.
I like Bourne, but not as their top WR. He floated under the radar in SF because he was the 3rd to 4th option. It’s now different for him as he’s drawing unfavorable coverage.

I often wonder is the team rebuilding or is it rebuilt? I don't know what the plan is going forward. Feels like we will be in the QB market like so many other franchises have had to do over the years. This is what NFL mediocrity feels like I guess.
I think that's right. Because of the team's incompetence (if you'd like to sub "Bill's incompetence" for "the team's incompetence," be my guest) we have a very dirty set of data re Mac's actual merits. Fortunately, there is no urgent need at this point to act on Mac's status: we are what we are, and there is no realistic prospect of our improving markedly this year. We can let Mac play out the year to build a little clearer take on his skills. I'm not that optimistic about his prospects. Next draft, we need to keep an eye on qb prospects. Our assessment of what might be available given our record, along with our final evaluation of Mac, will determine the course thereafter. ALL of this, of course, is made much more difficult by the fact that as we seek a proper qb, we must also - due to years of incompetent GM decisions - rebuild the team in virtually all other areas.

I like Bourne, but not as their top WR. He floated under the radar in SF because he was the 3rd to 4th option. It’s now different for him as he’s drawing unfavorable coverage.
Bourne's play, along with a general sloppiness in WR play (quite apart from their innate skills), lead me to wonder about the quality of coaching that room is getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3