PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key Players [Mac Jones/others] Isn't/Aren't Ready to Play

Zappe is still living rent free in SB's head. Would think Zappe ****ed his mother with how much the guy goes on about him. He's not even the starter at this point - give it a rest, bud.

As for Rob's claim that McDaniel is making Tua an "MVP candidate" ... after two games? Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:
I love Mayo but a lot of the recent defensive coaches haven’t been great. Brandon, Staley and LA, Robert Salah, in New York, Matt, Eberflus, in Chicago, Matt, Patricia, Todd, Bowles. All recent DC’s without much success.
I think this might tie right in to the Belichick vs Brady argument. It's not that people believe Brady literally did everything to make them win Super Bowls and the team + HC was just along for the ride.

It's that BB is a defensive guru, always was and always will be. For years he had the advantage of being close to an offensive savant, the GOAT in the modern era of the league where offense is everything. Who better to know about offense than the GOAT? We saw them in 1 on 1 meetings preparing for games bouncing ideas and thoughts off each other... Bill would feed the GOAT insights into defensive looks and Brady would do the same for Bill on offense.

Now Brady is gone and BB doesn't have that kind of relationship with Mac... so now he is back to the pack just like every other defensive minded coach in this league like those guys. A fish out of water in an era of offense? Could be that the game has sort of passed all of them by.... maybe that's they're not nearly as successful as offensive coaches.

Zappe is still living rent free in SB's head. Would think Zappe ****ed his mother with how much the guy goes on about him. He's not even the starter at this point - give it a ****ing rest, bud.

As for Rob's claim that McDaniel is making Tua an "MVP candidate" ... after two games? Thanks for the laugh.

Psst! Vegas has Tua as the aggregated odds on favorite to win the MVP.

Last edited:
He's not even the starter at this point - give it a ****ing rest, bud.
Sure. Once the anti-Mac-or-whoever-the-Patriots-QB-is crowd stops being triggered that their binky's window is closed and starts cheering for our team.

Last edited:
I think this might tie right in to the Belichick vs Brady argument. It's not that people believe Brady literally did everything to make them win Super Bowls and the team + HC was just along for the ride.

It's that BB is a defensive guru, always was and always will be. For years he had the advantage of being close to an offensive savant, the GOAT in the modern era of the league where offense is everything. Who better to know about offense than the GOAT? We saw them in 1 on 1 meetings preparing for games bouncing ideas and thoughts off each other... Bill would feed the GOAT insights into defensive looks and Brady would do the same for Bill on offense.

Now Brady is gone and BB doesn't have that kind of relationship with Mac... so now he is back to the pack just like every other defensive minded coach in this league like those guys. A fish out of water in an era of offense? Could be that the game has sort of passed all of them by.... maybe that's they're not nearly as successful as offensive coaches.
Yes. It was the perfect marriage of defensive savant in Bill and offensive savant in Brady.
Also, they both had the right temperament for each other - win no matter what.

THIS was the right QB pick in the late rounds last year.
Late rounds? He was taken 7 picks after Zappy was.

Not sure why they threw away a 4th rounder on UDFA level talent like Crappy Zappy instead. Imagine actually thinking that guy was ever going to be an NFL QB and put Jones on the bench for good. Lolol

At least admit that Zappy should've started da Bears game last year.

Reactions: sb1
Late rounds? He was taken 7 picks after Zappy was.
Both were day 3. And BZ was a big reach IMO. He had a poor senior bowl and was probably off most teams draft boards after that. Howell was the real prospect. Wish we had him…
At least admit that Zappy should've started da Bears game last year.
Yes he admittedly should have. Not sure what Bill was thinking playing a hobbled Jones and then egging on a QB controversy by not backing Jones after the game. Then again these days I’m not sure what Bill is thinking about a lot of things…

Psst! Tua is currently Vegas has Tua as the aggregated odds on favorite to win the MVP.

Patriots fans and this weird "Tua isn't good" hill they want to die on is weird. Is he great? Not really but he's good and more than adequate.

So we’re all in agreement, then: Trade Mac for some O-line capital, start Zappe, draft a quarterback this year or the year after.

these are the undefeated elite of the elite QBs in the league right now at 2-0

Lamar Jackson
Jalen Hurts
Desmond Ridder
Derek Carr
Tua Tualuauauauauauaua
Sam Howell
Dak Prescott
Baker Mayfield
Couldn’t we have had Bakey Mayfield this off season? Tampa signed him as a FA, right?

I knew things would be hard after TB left and for whoever followed him, just didn't think it would get as weird as it has on this board.

I can't figure our why Club Corky puts so much energy into trying to persuade us to give up on Mac. Why bother? It doesn't effin matter what any of us think, his future will be decided by the team based on how he does or doesn't perform this year.

Here's Bedard -- nobody's Polyanna -- disagreeing with Club Corky:

Both were day 3. And BZ was a big reach IMO. He had a poor senior bowl and was probably off most teams draft boards after that. Howell was the real prospect. Wish we had him…
Agree. I didn't like the pick at the time either; I thought Bill & Al Groh's kid should've gone OL, WR or CB there like GB & Seattle did.

Yes he admittedly should have. Not sure what Bill was thinking playing a hobbled Jones and then egging on a QB controversy by not backing Jones after the game. Then again these days I’m not sure what Bill is thinking about a lot of things…

Bears still haven't won since that game, btw, the longest losing streak in franchise history o_O

Agree. I didn't like the pick at the time either; I thought Bill & Al Groh's kid should've gone OL, WR or CB there like GB & Seattle did.

Bears still haven't won since that game, btw, the longest losing streak in franchise history o_O
Would you trade Corky for Fields straight up?

Thing is, Bill thinks he can win with a Mac-type QB. Bill hasn't changed the team building formula much since the dynasty died, focusing on mid-tier talent that meet his personality demands. His D coaching is still great but as a HC, he's been outcoached more often then not the last 3 years.

I'm not surprised by anything that is happening because its more of the same: the belief that Bill's team building and coaching acumen is good enough to make this team a contender. It's not. There's no longer a coaching advantage since a lot of our previous coaches are spread across the league. Bill was never an O coach, despite the nonsense of him being a QB whisperer. The modern NFL relies on uber talented players, speed, and innovative concepts. Kinda like the ST blocked fg play, which let's be honest, Bill loves him some STing.
Great post

Thing is, Bill thinks he can win with a Mac-type QB. Bill hasn't changed the team building formula much since the dynasty died, focusing on mid-tier talent that meet his personality demands. His D coaching is still great but as a HC, he's been outcoached more often then not the last 3 years.

I'm not surprised by anything that is happening because its more of the same: the belief that Bill's team building and coaching acumen is good enough to make this team a contender. It's not. There's no longer a coaching advantage since a lot of our previous coaches are spread across the league. Bill was never an O coach, despite the nonsense of him being a QB whisperer. The modern NFL relies on uber talented players, speed, and innovative concepts. Kinda like the ST blocked fg play, which let's be honest, Bill loves him some STing.

THIS right here. 100%

you can win with a Mac type QB in the NFL. the problem is that bill's still building the roster as if he has Tom brady back there. if you switched Mac with Tua or Purdy, i'm sure he would be doing just fine in their QB friendly offenses loaded with weapons and they would be struggling here.

its one thing to ask brady to make mid-tier talent work and even then it didn't 2006, 2013, 2019 were all down years for brady because of his sub-par talent 'BILL THE GM' put around him.

where most teams in the league look at their young QB's and say ok, lets get them a stud on offense to help them out and make it easier. Bill says, lets see what receiver i can grab off the scrap heap and make it work.

you can put brady back there and i'm sure he would make it work with this offense. but you aren't winning in this modern NFL when your top skill players are parker/bourne/juju. Bill wants to play a style of football that is gone in the modern era "win 16-12, run the ball play tough defense" when the modern NFL is predicated on uber talented fast players.

even the media commented how only DD had the ability to make a big play. and how all our skill players are slow.

problem is we cant even run the ball and defenses are not holding explosive offenses to 10-15 points. we just don't have the horses to compete. so when other teams have a tyreek hill or aj brown their margin of error is so much higher. those guys can take a small play and bring it to the house, their catch radius is ridiculous. with our guys everything needs to be perfect because the talent level isn't there. look at the dolphins. when they needed it, huge run play for a td, huge 30 yard gain for Hill.

the other team has a v8 mustang you are riding in a horse and buggy. bourne cant even be bothered to put his 2nd hand out on a deep pass that is right there...

theres also this myth that bill won with subpar receiving talent and we never needed them. history shows that brady was his best when he had guys like Moss, welker, edelman, gronk, hernandez. he struggled(for him) quite abit in 2006, 2013, 2019....and made massive jumps the next year when Bill finally got him horses or he just left and went to mike evans/godwin/gronk/brown

Bill the GM has been pretty horrible since 2018. and thats 5 years now.

I am blaming both. Mac's throws need to get there quicker and they need to win one on one matchups on occasion.
IMO Mac's been fine.. it's the Line.. he can't drop back as he has no time, the offense is all about quick throws and timing routes.. no explosion on offense.. I'm sure he'd like that throw back to Parker wich i had no faith Parker would come down with. Juju is hurt he's been a non factor, KB makes plays but is now getting attention from CBs and safeties. I'd love to see more of DD and Boutte.

you can win with a Mac type QB in the NFL. the problem is that bill's still building the roster as if he has Tom brady back there. if you switched Mac with Tua or Purdy, i'm sure he would be doing just fine in their QB friendly offenses loaded with weapons and they would be struggling here.
Yeah…Look at Purdy. Is he better than Mac Jones? Absolutely not. But his team makes him look that way.

Because he's all there is right now. People act like there are better options readily available. There just aren't.
They want to tank for a high pick or simply enjoy the process of hindsight GMing more than the team and the game.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back