PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle Shots - the 2-10 drunken stupor edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Your weekly, drunken, ass version of a better weekly thread. Thanks to @VrabelJr for the name.

suktinis.png
This week, I'm drinking Suktinis because it's the second strongest one I've got on hand. It's a lovely mead from the homeland clocking in at 100 proof. Alas, the 150 proof Zalgiris mead was considered an explosive by the TSA/authorities in Europe and I wasn't allowed to bring it on the flight.

We could have used some explosive(nes)s in Foxboro today...

You ever find yourself late on a Saturday night at a bar, when you've spotted a gorgeous woman across the way. She's smiling back at you, inviting you over with her eyes. You think to yourself, now this is going to be a good night. But as you stand up to make your move, you realize you've vomited and pissed on yourself, and your pants are missing, and you can't even remember what happened afterward because you blacked out and woke up in a jail cell two counties over. You realize, only too late, that you were in no shape to make a play and you wished you had gone home hours earlier, never having even tried.

And that's the segue to Week 13 and the New England Patriots.

It's not that there was never any hope. Zappe had somehow managed to win games last year. The defense is doing its job, for the most part, and maybe a pick six, combined with a safety and good field position, setting up a field goal, could be enough to win the game. Alas, by the end, it wasn't to be. I've got a handful of observations and drunken insights to share (give them their appropriate due):

Weird Stats: The Pats lead the lead in one-score losses. One of the forum members got killed in a thread for suggesting that the Pats might actually be a playoff contender with some offensive tweaking. But he has a point, and it's one that's been true for two seasons now. This team is a playoff contender with even a league-average offense. Considering that a league-average offense is scoring around 22 points a game, ask yourself this. If the Pats scored only 22 points in every game this year, what would their record be? 6-6. Ok, not amazing, but they're in the hunt. Getting rid of a pick/fumble six or two might also get you another win. It's just interesting to think about. Either way, this ain't the 1990 Pats.

Also, there has only been one other time since 2009 that the Pats held opponents to 10 or fewer points in three consecutive games (2021). The defense is not world beating, but they're doing their job. The 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009 Pats all have three consecutive games like this...those were good times (yeah, even 09).

Zappe Hour: In the end, he didn't get done, but if ever there was a best case scenario for people who want a high draft pick, but could no longer stomach the panicked dynamic with Mac, Bailey Zappe delivered. On the upside, he resisted the intrusive thoughts to chuck the ball up while being spun into a sack on two different occasions. There were even players there ready for whatever might happen. But he did the responsible thing and held onto the ball. He also threw the ball away on at least one occasion, living to play another down. Mac had found himself on the bench for making...the other choice...all too often on these kind of plays. Zappe also stepped into the pressure and leaned into his throws. It's basic stuff, but something that had been sorely lacking with Mac. That's the good.

Unfortunately, the thinking that the screen-heavy game plan from last week was a residual from the Mac game plan proved not to be all that true. Zappe's biggest sin, prior to this year, was telegraphing his passes and not being tall enough, resulting in a lot of batted balls. Screens can cover for this, as well as scrambling out of the pocket, and it seemed that for the first three quarters, this was how the Pats avoided the batted passes from last year. Unfortunately, Zappe just wasn't all that accurate, especially on the run, which he was....a lot. And in those moments he made some beautiful throws, the receivers weren't always there to make the play (I can't fault Parker too much...horrible luck landing on the Chargers guy).

He wasn't even remotely good enough to win the game, but he wasn't the flaming, dumpster fire Mac had become recently. We'll see you Thursday for Zappe Hour!

The Dugger Factor: It seemed clear to me that the Chargers had a game plan to expose Dugger in coverage, especially if they saw the Pats in zone or two-high coverage. By the second quarter, I started looking on the field for where Dugger was and sure enough, the ball was headed in his direction. At one point, late in the second quarter, Herbert looked in Dugger's direction pre-snap and audibled out of whatever play they were going to run and wound up throwing an incomplete pass over the head of Allen on Dugger's side of the field. Dugger was too slow getting there and it was only a bad throw by Herbert that saved the touchdown.

I love Dugger, probably more than most here. But I also know he's playing way out of his element right now, thanks to the famous odd-year injury luck. I am looking forward to being healthy next year, hopefully with Dugger back and sitting in his old role.

Draft Beer: Arizona did their job today and helped us with a nice win over ****sburgh. Thanks fellas.

Quick points:
  • The defense said after last week that they have to do more to win games. They got 50% of the way there. The held the Chargers to only six, making a pick six a game-tying proposition. If Ryland were to hit the XP (and that's not a guarantee), you could say the D was doing it all. They might be on to something.

• Baringer turned into a pumpkin more and more as the day progressed.

• Peppers is looking a little beat up out there. Hopefully the Pats docs aren't ass. He still gives a **** and he's the best player on the defense right now.

• Bill Vinovich looks rough...not sure if he needs to drink more or less.

• It's good to see Jonathan Jones out there, with good hip movement, showing some cat-like quickness.

• Our secondary looks like my liver...I don't know how much more injury it can take.

-------------------------------
That's it for this week. It's a pale, sorry, vapid imitation of a much better weekly from @patfanken but it's certainly reflective of the decline on the field, and probably what most of us deserve.

Curious to know what you were drinking during and after the game.

Cheers

Not bad for a lush. At least you didn't suggest that Bill is a QB whisperer. Lol

AWESOME THREAD!!!

Get through the game much better now with Devil's Daughter 125 proof.
Make up the rules weekly ... lately it's a shot for each sack and QB hurry.:evil:

images.jpg

Was at my buddies birthday last night. Bunch of friends playing poker and drinking.

8:30pm - started the night with a beer
9:30pm - switched to vodka/sprite/cran
11pm - we started shooters
2am - Jack straight from the bottle
6am - hit my bed

Still made it up for this ****ty game (10am west coast start)

Love the alternative PatFanKen. Perhaps this is PatsFanKenDrink, which is probably one of the few appropriate ways to observe this current Patriot team.

First off, to answer the important questions, I was drinking Beer Lao of course. It's less than a dollar for a 0.75l bottle and not a bad lager. What it may lack in sophistication it more than makes up for in volume in consideration of the cost difference.

I agree with your post pretty much in its entirety, which may also be a by-product of drinking. I enjoyed the game, because at no point did I see my QB panicking and tossing a prayer up for grabs. That's pretty much all I want at this point - that, and another loss for the upcoming draft. Zappe at least senses when the O (as in "O what am I getting paid to do here?") Line ushers the pass rushers straight through the express turnstile to the QB and was able to get away from them once in a while. The times he got caught were no fault of his. Could throw better on the run, and probably should focus on that skill given the complete indifference of his tackles to blocking oncoming pass rushers.

Wouldn't mind them opening up the playbook a bit now that we've seen Bailey the Bomber send two deep balls to guys who were physically located where they could well have caught them had they been NFL-quality receivers.

MVP of the game were the camera guys and whomever instructed them to NOT take any sideline shots of Corky. Hopefully he's polishing up his CV for whatever middle management jobs are around Tuscaloosa these days.

A decent facsimile of "Idle Thoughts" with a touch of alcohol..
From my barcolounger I see a barely watchable team that borders on crindgeable..
From BB's homeless dude look on the sidelines, bad plays by players, lack of talent and terrible coaching it's not fun any more.
Remember how happy we all were when BB revamped our ST's, now they simply suck. Remember how pleased we were that Joe Judge was going oversee ST's?? What is happening in that phase of the game is symptomatic of the whole team we simply are not NFL quality.
Time for a huge change in this franchise, the Kraft family need to blow the whole thing up for the sake of a very disappointed fan base.. he is also probably losing cash due to this ineptitude.

Thank you for the feedback!

It required a lot of edits, but I'm glad folks found it enjoyable. I'll be back for Thursday.

Not bad for a lush. At least you didn't suggest that Bill is a QB whisperer. Lol

I'm drinking, not on psychodelics lol

AWESOME THREAD!!!

Get through the game much better now with Devil's Daughter 125 proof.
Make up the rules weekly ... lately it's a shot for each sack and QB hurry.:evil:

View attachment 54988

Noted...on both counts.
If I were to do a drinking game for this one, I'd break it up into DIV classes:

Div III: Take a shot when the QB takes a shot
DivII: Take a shot for every dropped pass by the Pats
Div I: Take a shot when the QB gets hurried

MVP of the game were the camera guys and whomever instructed them to NOT take any sideline shots of Corky. Hopefully he's polishing up his CV for whatever middle management jobs are around Tuscaloosa these days.

Good call. I didn't notice that, but you're right. I don't think we ever saw him...

Time for a huge change in this franchise, the Kraft family need to blow the whole thing up for the sake of a very disappointed fan base.. he is also probably losing cash due to this ineptitude.

What's wild is what I'm hearing about ticket prices as low as $5 or $19 before the game and the stadium was STILL half empty. That has to hurt.

I even thought about it this morning. What if the Pats came to me and told me my years long wait is over and I can now spend $2,300 on season tickets? I would still do it...I think, but it's not the no-brainer it was years ago. I live outside the area and could probably only go to 2-3 games a season at most. The idea is I'd sell extras to family and friends up there. But who would pay face value at this point?

• The defense said after last week that they have to do more to win games. They got 50% of the way there. The held the Chargers to only six, making a pick six a game-tying proposition. If Ryland were to hit the XP (and that's not a guarantee), you could say the D was doing it all. They might be on to something.

At this point I really want to see a 7-6 game where the Patriots win by a pick-6 of fumble return.

Great job!
Zappe needs to chuck it deep at least 1x per quarter to TT or Parker. They finally might catch one or they get a DPI. Nothing to lose..

Love the alternative PatFanKen. Perhaps this is PatsFanKenDrink, which is probably one of the few appropriate ways to observe this current Patriot team.

First off, to answer the important questions, I was drinking Beer Lao of course. It's less than a dollar for a 0.75l bottle and not a bad lager. What it may lack in sophistication it more than makes up for in volume in consideration of the cost difference.

I agree with your post pretty much in its entirety, which may also be a by-product of drinking. I enjoyed the game, because at no point did I see my QB panicking and tossing a prayer up for grabs. That's pretty much all I want at this point - that, and another loss for the upcoming draft. Zappe at least senses when the O (as in "O what am I getting paid to do here?") Line ushers the pass rushers straight through the express turnstile to the QB and was able to get away from them once in a while. The times he got caught were no fault of his. Could throw better on the run, and probably should focus on that skill given the complete indifference of his tackles to blocking oncoming pass rushers.

Wouldn't mind them opening up the playbook a bit now that we've seen Bailey the Bomber send two deep balls to guys who were physically located where they could well have caught them had they been NFL-quality receivers.

PatsFanKentuckyBourbon

Only if he is whispering nightmares. :haha: Because Mac Jones has a haunted look whenever he takes the field.

Great job!
Zappe needs to chuck it deep at least 1x per quarter to TT or Parker. They finally might catch one or they get a DPI. Nothing to lose..
Chucking the ball up is what got Mac a seat on the bench.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Zappe is an improvement on Mac Jones because he hasn't been shell shocked into a zombie QB yet.

But he doesn't have the cannon arm to be some type of gunslinger taking big risks.

However I do like his attempted deep ball to Parker. The guy almost made a great catch but landed with his right foot out of bounds.

This is how you do it, when you throw it deep make sure only your guy can make a play on the ball. It should either be a catch or an incompletion. Not an interception.

I do see that Thornton has a lot of speed, we should run more plays to get him the ball in space and see if he can use his speed to make big plays.

His big 39 yard gain is an example of that.

If he's a crappy route runner, well then find other types of plays like the one above to get him involved because news flash - we don't have a lot of talent at WR right now!

At this point I really want to see a 7-6 game where the Patriots win by a pick-6 of fumble return.
That's probably the only way we can score at this point. The defense has to do double duty and score the points for us as well. Ugh!

Last edited:
Zappe Hour: In the end, he didn't get done, but if ever there was a best case scenario for people who want a high draft pick, but could no longer stomach the panicked dynamic with Mac, Bailey Zappe delivered. On the upside, he resisted the intrusive thoughts to chuck the ball up while being spun into a sack on two different occasions. There were even players there ready for whatever might happen. But he did the responsible thing and held onto the ball. He also threw the ball away on at least one occasion, living to play another down. Mac had found himself on the bench for making...the other choice...all too often on these kind of plays. Zappe also stepped into the pressure and leaned into his throws. It's basic stuff, but something that had been sorely lacking with Mac. That's the good.

Unfortunately, the thinking that the screen-heavy game plan from last week was a residual from the Mac game plan proved not to be all that true. Zappe's biggest sin, prior to this year, was telegraphing his passes and not being tall enough, resulting in a lot of batted balls. Screens can cover for this, as well as scrambling out of the pocket, and it seemed that for the first three quarters, this was how the Pats avoided the batted passes from last year. Unfortunately, Zappe just wasn't all that accurate, especially on the run, which he was....a lot. And in those moments he made some beautiful throws, the receivers weren't always there to make the play (I can't fault Parker too much...horrible luck landing on the Chargers guy).

He wasn't even remotely good enough to win the game, but he wasn't the flaming, dumpster fire Mac had become recently. We'll see you Thursday for Zappe Hour!

Zappe wasn't bad because at least he didn't throw any interceptions this game. But he wasn't great either. He still didn't lead our team to any points. At least he doesn't look like a panicked deer in headlights on every snap where the defense gives even the faintest of pressures. I didn't see the off the backfoot wounded duck throws that Mac Jones was fond of making this season.

To be clear 0 points is unacceptable for an NFL offense. But maybe 1 more week of practice will give Zappe more rhythm and he'll lead our offense to more points next week. I mean you can only go up from 0, am I right?

Draft Beer: Arizona did their job today and helped us with a nice win over ****sburgh. Thanks fellas.

Regardless of the not so horrible performance by Zappe, the draft is probably still our BEST chance to reverse the fortunes of this franchise. If we can land a franchise QB with a top 2 pick, then this team at least has some hope for the future.

I mean take a look at the Houston Texans.

Last year they were 3-13 and a laughingstock of the NFL.

In the 2023 draft they selected C.J. Stroud with the #2 overall pick.

Now look at them they are 7-5 and in the playoff hunt. They've already more than doubled their win total from last year with a rookie QB at the helm.

Would that same success story work out for the Patriots? I don't know. The key is to get the right guy and build a team around him. But at least there's HOPE... IF we don't screw up this upcoming draft!

Since Kens gone I nominate you to do a weekly version of Stupor Vision. Good work.

Geez you write better than I do when I'm sober. I gotta look into this 100 proof Mead you're talkin about. Suktittïes?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back