PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Zappe Beats out Brissett in TC? Now What?

Some complain Zappe has a huge ego because he said he was going to be the starter eventually, even after he was cut. Some complain that his numbers were bad, which is fair until you realize the starting rb, two of the starting wr’s and the Oline was basically injured when he started, and before that he came in during blow outs.
That's still a thing? Lol

Patriots played maybe the worst defense in the NFL. Zappe's offense scored zero points. Nuff said. He blows. Jones isn't good but he's a lot better than Zappe in just about every category. 31 other teams agree with me that's why there was a market for Jones even as a 1 yr rental and nobody wanted the smurf for free when he was cut last summer lololol

Mostly some posters are still butt hurt he is here and Mac is gone. Like always, I hope he does well as do all the QB’s and management is forced to make a tough decision. Hoping, not expecting.
There are plenty of Zappes to be found in the UDFA collection of QB's that will be available this summer.

Last edited:
What the hell is the fascination with Rourke anyway? Sure he had a highlight play with the jags but everyone has a few highlights

Case in point:

Brissett like most decent backups can make plays including this one.

As for Rourke he's an unknown right now. We know for a fact Zappe sucks so let's see what the unknown has at camp.

Last edited:
Brisset's value in my mind is in large measure as a mentor for whetever newbie qb we might draft. If Zappe beats him out for the starting job, so be it; but I would keep Brissett around anyway for his mentorship, unless we REALLY need a spot to keep some hot prospect at another position. To me, this is a pretty insignificant matter, tbh. Progress in rebuilding the team over next yer is far more important than a difference of a game or two in our record, and it is not unreasonable anyway to point out that there are genuine draft advantages to fewer wins. Post Brady, we'll have to tweak our priorities for a year or two: winning games will not always necessarily find its way to the top of the hierarchy.
Yes I think we keep at least 3 qb's. My guess is it will be Brissett, a rookie, and Zappe/Rourke. Probably the loser of z/r goes on the practice squad. Unless they decide to double down and take a second qb later in the draft. That would surprise me, but who knows.

Zappe, like Mac Jones, is a horrible decision maker. I like some of Zappe’s game particularly the pocket presence but he is a moron and turnover waiting to happen.

I think this is overrated but that's just my opinion. AVP is a former quarterback and Ben McAdoo supposedly knows plenty about the position, most of what goes into acclimating the rookie would be THEIR job. As presumed starter, Brissett will be busy getting a new offense established with all the newcomers (being one himself) vs. handholding a rookie. But what flips that narrative is if the rookie wins the starting job, in which case a veteran in the meeting room and on the sideline can offer guidance.
There is something to be said about a guy who is in his playing years who can teach from his example on the field. It's about doing all you can to help a kid get his feet under him and a veteran bridge QB is just one more potential layer of help

I can't see a way that it's bad for a third stringer to take a leap and surpass a middling/subpar vet. At any position.

Bonus points if it makes the rookie feel like he has to truly wrestle the job from someone else's hands.

Sorry D-Dubs, I don't understand. Who cares if Zappe beats out Brissett? Do you really care who the starting qb is besides the best one? If Zappe beats him out, great for Zappe. It will mean he improved this offseason and that maybe this new offense will be a much better fit for his style of play. Good news for us is that we have found ourselves a solid backup qb that is young.

It's a great thing as long as he plays well in games, if he doesn't... it won't matter, they'll have to play Brissett.

Not convinced zappe was the problem
Either way Zappe has no business being on this or any NFL roster but the Pats don't have anyone else to take his place right now.

That's still a thing? Lol

Patriots played maybe the worst defense in the NFL. Zappe's offense scored zero points. Nuff said. He blows. Jones isn't good but he's a lot better than Zappe in just about every category. 31 other teams agree with me that's why there was a market for Jones even as a 1 yr rental and nobody wanted the smurf for free when he was cut last summer lololol

There are plenty of Zappes to be found in the UDFA collection of QB's that will be available this summer.
To be fair, Zappe was cut during the final cutdown. Roster decisions are different then with a new season starting.

Bringing in a QB from outside is not a no-brainer.

I'm an unashamed Zappe fan. I expect him to be the starter and to win. Rookie qb will most likely take over next year unless Zappe balls out.

It's not as if Brissett was brought aboard to be THE QB to build around/for the future. If Zappe does beat him out in camp/pre-season, then no biggie. Brissett can still provide depth and hopefully be a good role model for our true QB of the future.

Zappe is going to be cut at some point....Rourke will be the 3 over Zappe, assuming no other adds besides the rookie

As a QB, when all your receivers are covered because there not good enough your gonna look bad.

Cool thread and all but what did you have for breakfast

Some complain Zappe has a huge ego because he said he was going to be the starter eventually, even after he was cut. Some complain that his numbers were bad, which is fair until you realize the starting rb, two of the starting wr’s and the Oline was basically injured when he started, and before that he came in during blow outs. Mostly some posters are still butt hurt he is here and Mac is gone. Like always, I hope he does well as do all the QB’s and management is forced to make a tough decision. Hoping, not expecting.
Me personally I don't have a problem with zap being on the roster, but he nor Mac last season for many reasons showed that they are long term answers at the position. Zap is a capable back up option and can play well in spurts. I have more faith that Brissett will take care of the ball and not hurt the team than Zapp. I am interested though.. in seeing how zap does this camp with Brissett, the pick and anyone else we have at QB.

Really? His feel in the pocket was better and his teammates actually liked him. Two betters!
1) not really
2) you know this for a fact? What players did you ask for their opinions on the QBs?

Zappe sucks.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Zappe yet. He has shown some flashes but no consistency. I think he gets 1 more chance before you ship him out of here.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back