PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about 4 moves for the Pats for Day 2 and Day 3 sucess

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Patriots made their bed when they past up on what could have been a ton of valuable picks for Jimmy G. So be it. I don't agree but they don't pay me so......

1- Brissett. I believe they Drafted Brissett in the third last year in case they moved Jimmy G. They went all in on Jimmy G yesterday. No backing away after that haul they passed on.
I would argue that Brissett not Kiser is the best second day QB. Teams also note that he has had an NFL season under his belt with an NFL win (as many as the Browns had in 2016) and Super Bowl coaching and experience. The Cardinals at #45 have trade with BB in the past. Arians said he is looking Carson replacement and the Chargers at #38 might be a consideration. Would the Browns trade up from #65 or would the Past setttle for that for Brissett. The Browns get their QB. The learning curve is better on Brissett than any QB from today and Sat. Smart move by either TeamS. PATS TRADE BRISSETT TO CARDS FOR PICK #45

2-Dion Lewis is a fabulous home runner hitter at RB and great pass catcher. We have just signed three RBs plus Bolden and Devlin (White was reupped). Lewis is out after 2017 anyway. How many touches can you give for each RB? Lewis might have Second round value, but do to a strong RB class, let's say third. SF have a need and two picks. Add the Chargers, Packers, Vikings and Texans who could use Lewis. THE PATS TRADE LEWIS TO THE CHARGERS FOR PICK #71(Replaces Woodhead)

3-TRADE WITH EAGLES-Pats send 5th Round pick #163 to Eagles for OLB Mychal Kendricks. Youth Speed and can cover. NFL seasoned.I have mentioned this many times. The Eagles want a fifth. Howie will trade with BB

4-Pick Up the phone and get FA DE Devin Taylor on a plane here. 6'8" 275 and young. FA so you give up 0 . NFL experience. Played behind Ziggy and got 11 sacks the last two years. More of a fit than available 250 lbs DE pass rushers still on the board.

The Day 1 dust has settled. Let's see how we can move on.

DW Toys

I doubt Brissett has that much value right now. I don't know if you'd get your 3 back that you spent on him. This isn't a criticism of him. I just don't think he's done anything to increase or hold his value yet.

I actually wouldn't be shocked to see Dion Lewis traded, although I'd be mildly surprised. With his recent injury history, I'm not sure you're getting a 3.

I like the Eagles trade and thought I'd seen online the Eagles may trade him for an even lower pick.

Is he a street free agent? I assume any signings that would affect our compensatory picks next year will happen after May or June, whenever the cutoff is.

1- Brissett. I believe they Drafted Brissett in the third last year in case they moved Jimmy G. They went all in on Jimmy G yesterday. No backing away after that haul they passed on.
I would argue that Brissett not Kiser is the best second day QB. Teams also note that he has had an NFL season under his belt with an NFL win (as many as the Browns had in 2016) and Super Bowl coaching and experience. The Cardinals at #45 have trade with BB in the past. Arians said he is looking Carson replacement and the Chargers at #38 might be a consideration. Would the Browns trade up from #65 or would the Past setttle for that for Brissett. The Browns get their QB. The learning curve is better on Brissett than any QB from today and Sat. Smart move by either TeamS. PATS TRADE BRISSETT TO CARDS FOR PICK #45

What are you thinking? Everyone knows all Pats backup QBs are worth AT LEAST a 1st rounder.:confused:

The Patriots made their bed when they past up on what could have been a ton of valuable picks for Jimmy G. So be it. I don't agree but they don't pay me so......

2-Dion Lewis is a fabulous home runner hitter at RB and great pass catcher. We have just signed three RBs plus Bolden and Devlin (White was reupped). Lewis is out after 2017 anyway. How many touches can you give for each RB? Lewis might have Second round value, but do to a strong RB class, let's say third. SF have a need and two picks. Add the Chargers, Packers, Vikings and Texans who could use Lewis. THE PATS TRADE LEWIS TO THE CHARGERS FOR PICK #71(Replaces Woodhead)

3-TRADE WITH EAGLES-Pats send 5th Round pick #163 to Eagles for OLB Mychal Kendricks. Youth Speed and can cover. NFL seasoned.I have mentioned this many times. The Eagles want a fifth. Howie will trade with BB

4-Pick Up the phone and get FA DE Devin Taylor on a plane here. 6'8" 275 and young. FA so you give up 0 . NFL experience. Played behind Ziggy and got 11 sacks the last two years. More of a fit than available 250 lbs DE pass rushers still on the board.

DW Toys
I liked the post because it showed imagination along with a bit of reality, but I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

I think Brissett is off the table. We haven't gone all in with JG, we've just rented him for a year, whick allows JB to develop with less pressure. Interesting idea though.

I'd be all for the Lewis trade if only it opens up a spot for my own personal binkey, DJ Foster. Seems to me like there really WILL be a surprise cut among the RB's this TC. There is literally no room at the inn.

So while I think your first scenarios are a stretch, I REALLY love your 2nd 2. I LOVE the idea of a speed LB who can cover, and I think the Devon Taylor idea is even better. I'd feel a lot better about the lack of that first round edge rusher if Taylor were added to the mix. He wouldn't hurt on ST's blocks either.

BOLD PREDICTION: Patriots trade Dion Lewis to move into the 2nd round for a 5th to 6th round safety
you mean like when we drafted Chung and Harmon?

you mean like when we drafted Chung and Harmon?
No........... whats-his-name we Drafted last year and some kid named Tavon Wilson who was more shocked than the Pats fans were.
DW Toys

Correction: Lewis was a home run hitter....pre-injury. Time will tell if he gets his swing back.

Why would any team give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Lewis? He's on an expiring contract, has fumble issues and didn't look the same coming back from the ACL injury,

He can be a useful piece, but he's not a guy you give up a top 100 draft pick for. Certainly not in a draft loaded with RB's. The Pats would be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him.

Don't buy #1. Bisquick has minimal trade value today.
Don't like #2 because an injury to White leaves us plodding at 3rd round back
Like the concepts for 3 & 4.
Interesting post.

Not many moves are coming to mind that make sense for the Pats that can be made.

Butler/JG are off the market unless a 2018 first is included in any talks (maybe more) which I think would have happened last night if it was going to.

Dealing Lewis won't get us much. I think he is more valuable on the team for this year.

Trading a future pick is bad for the Pats as they need to give up a 2nd to get into the 3rd and a 3rd to get into the 4th (cause they pick so low). That is just bad value and IDK if a guy exist they would do that for. Also if they wanna move up past 72 they need to combine their picks which i don't like or trade a 2nd from next year to do it (which i would hate and I doubt a player falls I think they do it for).

I think we may see them move in the 4th and 5th rounds a little something but nothing earth shattering and no trades made today i think.

Last edited:
No........... whats-his-name we Drafted last year and some kid named Tavon Wilson who was more shocked than the Pats fans were.
DW Toys

Wilson had 97 total tackles for the Lions as their full time starting SS last season, second on the team.

Free agent pickup is a maybe. Don't think we'll trade Brissett or Lewis.

DW Toys

1 - Definitely on board with the concept. The Browns may be the team that's most desperate for a even a legitimate NFL caliber QB, much less a Franchise-level starter. The questions are (A) whether they'd view Brissett as an upgrade over their current roster (probably), and (B) whether they'd view him as superior to the QBs remaining on the board in this draft (possibly not).

In any case, the Browns still have the #52 in the second (from Tennessee in a 2016 draft trade), as well as the #65.

2 - Against a strong RB draft class, I think Lewis' current value would be diminished below a 3rd-rounder. Perhaps well below. Again, though, I like the concept.

My guess is that Lewis and Foster go head-to-head for the final (real) RB spot through the summer and into Camp - unless Foster has been continuing the process of converting to slot WR that began for him during his final season at Arizona State in 2015.

It's possible that the Pats may be able to move Lewis for a 2018 pick during Camp, depending on how other teams have fared with their 2016 RB draftees (and/or injuries).

3 - Technical point: it was the #163 that the Pats surrendered to the Bills for Gillislee. The Pats still have the #183 in the 5th.

As other have noted, apparently the Eagles would now be willing to accept a 6th or 7th for Kendricks (he's been on the market with a 5th round price tag for almost three months now with no takers). I'd definitely go for that.

4 - The only knocks on Taylor are (A) he's extremely undisciplined as a player, and (B) he's very poor in run defense, a pretty big no-no for BB's DL guys, regardless how fierce they are as pass-rushers.

Keep Lewis. RBs take poundings. If White goes down, I feel good about Lewis replacing him. Especially a year out from injury.

He had very little trade value, but potentially offers so much for 2017.

1 - Definitely on board with the concept. The Browns may be the team that's most desperate for a even a legitimate NFL caliber QB, much less a Franchise-level starter. The questions are (A) whether they'd view Brissett as an upgrade over their current roster (probably), and (B) whether they'd view him as superior to the QBs remaining on the board in this draft (possibly not).

In any case, the Browns still have the #52 in the second (from Tennessee in a 2016 draft trade), as well as the #65.

2 - Against a strong RB draft class, I think Lewis' current value would be diminished below a 3rd-rounder. Perhaps well below. Again, though, I like the concept.

My guess is that Lewis and Foster go head-to-head for the final (real) RB spot through the summer and into Camp - unless Foster has been continuing the process of converting to slot WR that began for him during his final season at Arizona State in 2015.

It's possible that the Pats may be able to move Lewis for a 2018 pick during Camp, depending on how other teams have fared with their 2016 RB draftees (and/or injuries).

3 - Technical point: it was the #163 that the Pats surrendered to the Bills for Gillislee. The Pats still have the #183 in the 5th.

As other have noted, apparently the Eagles would now be willing to accept a 6th or 7th for Kendricks (he's been on the market with a 5th round price tag for almost three months now with no takers). I'd definitely go for that.

4 - The only knocks on Taylor are (A) he's extremely undisciplined as a player, and (B) he's very poor in run defense, a pretty big no-no for BB's DL guys, regardless how fierce they are as pass-rushers.

I don't know about the Taylor question. He had 31 tackles in a part time role and Nink (starting DE) had 32 albeit missing 4 games. Taylor also had 4.5 sacks vs 4.
I think this defense is more diciplined to begin with and as long as he buys in...great.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back