PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blockbuster NE news NFL trade

Triumph

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
So, my cousin is a huge Pats fan and he decided to attend this draft. He is on the ground in Detroit now.

Last night he was hanging around the hotel bar and who walks in and sets down next to him? Schefter, thats who. They get talking, but its respectful like and not like my cousin is drooling all over Schefter telling him how great he is. So, the conversation steers towards the Pats. My cousin is decked out NE regalia Bruins hat and of course Pats # 9 Judon jersey.

Schefter tells my cousin that the Pats have been open for business talking to virtually all teams about moving the 3rd pick. Word around the league is that Bob Kraft has been kicking *** and taking names later and Kraft wants to hit the ground running reaching the playoffs this season to further embarrass Bill Belichick.

Schefter told my cousin that there is a trade offer on the table right now that would send Herbert to NE so the LA Chargers could take JJ McCarthy.

I heard your boy Zappe is taking over the league starting in week 5. He will be better than Herbert. Just watch you’ll see
You know i thought your stalking vendetta had gone a bit far, to even one of my least favorite posters, but after this....let him have it dude. Wow what a that didnt happen for 500$ alex post.

You know i thought your stalking vendetta had gone a bit far, to even one of my least favorite posters, but after this....let him have it dude. Wow what a that didnt happen for 500$ alex post.
Nah just having fun trolling back after stupidity directed at me all last season. I’ll dial it back if it’s annoying.

And one reason that didn’t happen is Herbert can’t be traded. I believe his dead cap hit would be 9 figures. Yowza

Word around the league is that Bob Kraft has been kicking *** and taking names later and Kraft wants to hit the ground running reaching the playoffs this season to further embarrass Bill

Before I trust Schefter I would like to validate this with the tooth fairy…

I know I should be grateful for the overall body of work but the suggestion that Kraft is kicking butt as a fumbling geezer with a JV operation is a little hard to take.

So, my cousin is a huge Pats fan and he decided to attend this draft. He is on the ground in Detroit now.

Last night he was hanging around the hotel bar and who walks in and sets down next to him? Schefter, thats who. They get talking, but its respectful like and not like my cousin is drooling all over Schefter telling him how great he is. So, the conversation steers towards the Pats. My cousin is decked out NE regalia Bruins hat and of course Pats # 9 Judon jersey.

Schefter tells my cousin that the Pats have been open for business talking to virtually all teams about moving the 3rd pick. Word around the league is that Bob Kraft has been kicking *** and taking names later and Kraft wants to hit the ground running reaching the playoffs this season to further embarrass Bill Belichick.

Schefter told my cousin that there is a trade offer on the table right now that would send Herbert to NE so the LA Chargers could take JJ McCarthy.
What is it about Herbert that makes the Chargers prefer to have McCarthy?

Man. I’d sure hate that. Herbert. Gross.

Nah just having fun trolling back after stupidity directed at me all last season. I’ll dial it back if it’s annoying.

And one reason that didn’t happen is Herbert can’t be traded. I believe his dead cap hit would be 9 figures. Yowza
$13 million cap hit, I believe. No idea if it is happening but if it’s $13 million that wouldn’t stop them

Let's give up next year's one and swap firsts so we can get a WR, a Tackle and Herbert and now we're talking lol. I like to dream big.

I heard your boy Zappe is taking over the league starting in week 5. He will be better than Herbert. Just watch you’ll see
All Pro Zapp will take the league by storm.. 15 TDs 2 INTs by week 5.. boy will we be regretting that Herbert trade ..

Can the draft please come already.
That way we can put to bed all this nonsense and conjecture.
Agreed latest one I saw was Denver is willing to give up the farm for our #3.. with surtain included..

That's a big risk for Harbaugh, shipping Herbert out of town, instead of just grabbing a top notch WR that will be available at 5.

Last edited:
First of all - Herbert has a no-trade clause, so he'd need to give the OK on this for it to happen. I don't know why he would, as his deal has heavy guarantees and the Chargers can't afford to cut him, so he is at no risk of losing the contract otherwise.

Second - trading Herbert raises his cap hit for LA in 2024 from $19M to $63M - about a $44M increase. They don't even have enough cap room to make that move. So again, they'd likely need Herbert to restructure his contract just to be able to move him in addition to waiving his no-trade clause.

Third - why would they want to? They already have a good QB locked down and they're not facing serious cap problems. I suppose Harbaugh could shed this big contract with 1 year of cap pain, draft a rookie he believes in and essentially "reboot" and try to chase a ring during his rookie QB's 5 year window, but I have a hard time believing it.

If this is somehow true (which I really, sincerely doubt) I'd be interested, but it depends on the terms. Presumably Herbert would become fairly affordable for NE for several years since LAC would be responsible for accelerated bonuses which would let them field a competitive team quickly and also long term. He's also still only 26. But not sure what the trade comp would look like - Pick 3 for Herbert + pick 5? That might be too generous. Maybe Pick 3 + Pick 68 + 2025 2nd rounder for Herbert + Pick 5?

$13 million cap hit, I believe. No idea if it is happening but if it’s $13 million that wouldn’t stop them
Looked it up. Says $129M - dont know if it’s cut or trade though.

Don’t know if that’s transferable to his new team. If it is then he really should come to his new team for free.

Looked it up. Says $129M - dont know if it’s cut or trade though.

Don’t know if that’s transferable to his new team. If it is then he really should come to his new team for free.
It'd be $129M if they cut him. It's about $63M dead cap in 2024 for the LAC in a trade, because some of it is tied up in option bonuses and guaranteed salary that hasn't yet been paid so some of it is passed on to the new team. If they outright cut him then much of that gets paid out immediately. Either way, they don't have enough cap space to trade him so they'd need to restructure him to make this move, and who knows what the deal looks like at that point.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back