PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blockbuster NE news NFL trade

Which is why its time for Herbert to move on and allow Harbaugh to start with a clean palette.
a clean palette with $62M of dead cap

Schefter et al .. beholden to agent created rumors ...
Cannot hate on the agents ... doing their job to get maximum $$$.
So they wipe the agents ass ... with Charmin of course ... enjoy the go.

Last edited:
Y'all need to help me out with this, as I am as dense as it gets with this cap stuff. Since I haven't had booze in 5 days, I feel like I have a small window where my brain can finally absorb this cap voodoo.

Where are y'all getting 62/63mill for the LAC cap hit for 2024 if there's a trade? Also, is this Pre June 1 or Post? Please correct me if I'm wrong (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point), but I'm adding current cap hit, plus 2025-2027 signing bonus money (assuming already paid), plus outstanding option bonus money that was just paid (50.6mil minus the 2024 option bonus 10.12mil already included in cap hit), which all gives me 69.5mil.

Also, what are the chances that LAC could draft JJ and have him sit for 1-3yrs? In that scenario, how would a Herbert trade look down the road for them?

Cap It Tan.pngNotes.png

OverCap.png

Y'all need to help me out with this, as I am as dense as it gets with this cap stuff. Since I haven't had booze in 5 days, I feel like I have a small window where my brain can finally absorb this cap voodoo.

Where are y'all getting 62/63mill for the LAC cap hit for 2024 if there's a trade? Also, is this Pre June 1 or Post? Please correct me if I'm wrong (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point), but I'm adding current cap hit, plus 2025-2027 signing bonus money (assuming already paid), plus outstanding option bonus money that was just paid (50.6mil minus the 2024 option bonus 10.12mil already included in cap hit), which all gives me 69.5mil.

Also, what are the chances that LAC could draft JJ and have him sit for 1-3yrs? In that scenario, how would a Herbert trade look down the road for them?

View attachment 57677View attachment 57680

View attachment 57679
2025 option bonus gets assumed by new team. Pre-June 1 trade dead cap hit would be sum of $3,224,375 * 4 (signing bonus) plus 10,121,300 * 5 (2024 option bonus only) which is $63,504,000. That would be the dead cap charge. His current cap hit is $19,345,675 which means the additional cap hit is only $44,158,325 and they’d have no further cap hits in future years. If they do a post June 1 option, dead cap is only $13,345,675 in 2014 (actually saves $6m on the cap for them in 2024 - the salary is assumed by new team while the 2024 signing and option bonuses remain the same) but they’d take the remaining dead cap hit of $50,158,325 in 2025 (remaining signing bonus and 2924 option bonus but still not 2025 option bonus).

Note the acquiring team would take on the base salary, plus the $45m 2025 option bonus ($9m per year) and the 2028 and 2029 roster bonuses. Cap charges would be $6m, $24m, $33m, $45m, $61m, and $59.5m through the life of the contract.

Last edited:
I heard your boy Zappe is taking over the league starting in week 5. He will be better than Herbert. Just watch you’ll see
Much more likely to happen than us getting Herbert.

2025 option bonus gets assumed by new team. Pre-June 1 trade dead cap hit would be sum of $3,224,375 * 4 (signing bonus) plus 10,121,300 * 5 (2024 option bonus only) which is $63,504,000. That would be the dead cap charge. His current cap hit is $19,345,675 which means the additional cap hit is only $44,158,325 and they’d have no further cap hits in future years. If they do a post June 1 option, dead cap is only $13,345,675 in 2014 (actually saves $6m on the cap for them in 2024 - the salary is assumed by new team while the 2024 signing and option bonuses remain the same) but they’d take the remaining dead cap hit of $50,158,325 in 2025 (remaining signing bonus and 2924 option bonus but still not 2025 option bonus).

Note the acquiring team would take on the base salary, plus the $45m 2025 option bonus ($9m per year) and the 2028 and 2029 roster bonuses. Cap charges would be $6m, $24m, $33m, $45m, $61m, and $59.5m through the life of the contract.
Honestly if a team agrees to take on this contract the Chargers shouldn't expect much back for this "trade".

Thanks for the thorough explanation! So what I was missing is that the 2024 base salary is not part of the Pre-June 1 (hence 63.5mil and not 69.5). Slowly becoming clearer.

Honestly if a team agrees to take on this contract the Chargers shouldn't expect much back for this "trade".
To be honest, it’s not too bad for the acquiring team. Obviously it is backloaded but it comes out to less than $40M per year when averaged out. You could convert those later years into signing bonuses plus an extension to create short term cap relief if you so desired.

I do think this story is phony, BUT just to play devil’s advocate a bit, I try to find reasons why it could make sense. Let’s just say Harbaugh feels Herbert isn’t worth his contract and wants to get out of it. He would need a replacement QB, but he’d be able to draft a guy he already knows and trusts in McCarthy. He probably guessed a month ago that the guy would be available at 5. Trading Herbert would allow the Chargers to get out of the contract and replace him right away with a guy on a rookie deal. 1 year of pain and then the books are clean & fresh next year onward. They also dumped Keenan Allen and Mike Williams which tracks similarly.

However - then the story of Wolf loving McCarthy comes out a few weeks back. That seemed weird but theoretically the McCarthy interest from NE could be there to press Harbaugh. “We’re interested in Herbert but you’re gonna give us a good deal of else we’re just gonna take this McCarthy kid ourselves if he’s so great and you’ll be left with no QB” - essentially.

Could theoretically land on a swap of Herbert, pick 5 and pick 69 in exchange for pick 3. Chargers would get McCarthy at 3 and get out of the contract, and still have pick 37 to take a receiver or other position of need. Pats get Herbert, assume his contract easily, and have pick 5 to draft either Marvin Harrison Jr/Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze or Joe Alt, and still have picks 34, 68 and 69 to supplement their depth.

That’s kind of how I would see it working out, if that is the logic behind all of it. But again, I don’t really think it’s true - no real reason to think Harbaugh doesn’t like or want Herbert at this stage.

I don’t know. Triumph has been on this board a long time. I don’t see any reason why he would go off his rocker for this one. He’s just stating what his cousin told him. He didn’t say it’s a done deal or anything?

EAiCBCGW4AA3G23.jpg

News out today is that Thunder Kraft has been pushing JOnathan to grab the bull by the horns and lead this franchise. Passing the torch much like Lamar Hunt to Clark Hunt.

News out today is that Thunder Kraft has been pushing JOnathan to grab the bull by the horns and lead this franchise. Passing the torch much like Lamar Hunt to Clark Hunt.
The Revolution Way

To be honest, it’s not too bad for the acquiring team. Obviously it is backloaded but it comes out to less than $40M per year when averaged out. You could convert those later years into signing bonuses plus an extension to create short term cap relief if you so desired.

I do think this story is phony, BUT just to play devil’s advocate a bit, I try to find reasons why it could make sense. Let’s just say Harbaugh feels Herbert isn’t worth his contract and wants to get out of it. He would need a replacement QB, but he’d be able to draft a guy he already knows and trusts in McCarthy. He probably guessed a month ago that the guy would be available at 5. Trading Herbert would allow the Chargers to get out of the contract and replace him right away with a guy on a rookie deal. 1 year of pain and then the books are clean & fresh next year onward. They also dumped Keenan Allen and Mike Williams which tracks similarly.

However - then the story of Wolf loving McCarthy comes out a few weeks back. That seemed weird but theoretically the McCarthy interest from NE could be there to press Harbaugh. “We’re interested in Herbert but you’re gonna give us a good deal of else we’re just gonna take this McCarthy kid ourselves if he’s so great and you’ll be left with no QB” - essentially.

Could theoretically land on a swap of Herbert, pick 5 and pick 69 in exchange for pick 3. Chargers would get McCarthy at 3 and get out of the contract, and still have pick 37 to take a receiver or other position of need. Pats get Herbert, assume his contract easily, and have pick 5 to draft either Marvin Harrison Jr/Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze or Joe Alt, and still have picks 34, 68 and 69 to supplement their depth.

That’s kind of how I would see it working out, if that is the logic behind all of it. But again, I don’t really think it’s true - no real reason to think Harbaugh doesn’t like or want Herbert at this stage.
Don't see them giving up a young franchise QB just to move up 2 spots... Dude has produced despite horrible circumstances. This ain't Mac or Zach.

Don't see them giving up a young franchise QB just to move up 2 spots... Dude has produced despite horrible circumstances. This ain't Mac or Zach.
I believe the only logic behind this trade would be 1) they don't love Herbert 2) they want to get out from under his contract and replace him with a younger cheaper QB who still has upside to be just as good if not better.

Your point still stands that they could stand pat at #5 and land McCarthy but then they would have spent a very high pick on a guy they don't actually need yet. When you already have a franchise QB it would make more sense to draft say Rome Odunze at #5 than to take McCarthy who doesn't help you win right away.

I believe the only logic behind this trade would be 1) they don't love Herbert 2) they want to get out from under his contract and replace him with a younger cheaper QB who still has upside to be just as good if not better.

Your point still stands that they could stand pat at #5 and land McCarthy but then they would have spent a very high pick on a guy they don't actually need yet. When you already have a franchise QB it would make more sense to draft say Rome Odunze at #5 than to take McCarthy who doesn't help you win right away.
They’d have 5 years with McCarthy though, and could “weaponize” with high picks and free agent signings over the next several years while he is on the cheap and they don’t have Herbert’s huge contract taking up a quarter of their cap. Following the logic of it all.

They’d have 5 years with McCarthy though, and could “weaponize” with high picks and free agent signings over the next several years while he is on the cheap and they don’t have Herbert’s huge contract taking up a quarter of their cap. Following the logic of it all.
Right. IMO they'd need to not want Herbert in LA and also want to get out from under his 262.5m dollar contract.

But considering the substantial commitment they made to Herbert just last year, it makes me skeptical they would want out all of a sudden.

If they were hedging their bets it would make more sense to go for the pro bowl potential WR at #5, then take a 2nd tier QB prospect such as a Nix, Penix Jr. etc. in the second or maybe even a trade up to bottom of the 1st to set up a 'Jordan Love' in place to replace Rodgers situation.

What's bizarre about all this talk is that Herbert is only 26 years old so there's no pressing need to replace him any time soon. The guy is just entering his prime years and has performed at a high level by most standards.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back