PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is McCourty really that big of an upgrade at safety or does everybody just feel more secure with that name back there? I think corner is a more valuable position to the defense than safety. I personally would rather have the rotation of wilson/chung/gregory at safety and play my best/most athletic players at corner.

Our 4th for Talib and their 7th is way too much IMO. Hopefully we can extend him because I can't see him being worth a 4th for 8 games and the playoffs.

Last edited:
It also seems to me that the secondary really began to crumble after the loss of Gregory.
(How sad is that statement)

Who gets waived?

Talented player.

Secondary just got better folks.

that is certain.

BTW, for all those who've been saying "Coaching, not talent!"...

This is BB showing you he disagrees.

A 4th isn't that steep...

Absolutely. And you when you consider it is really just a trade-down from about 125 to 225, it is even better. Unless it is an exceptionally deep draft, once you get outside the top 100 it is pretty much a crap shoot.

You also have to consider the Schiano factor. He isn't going to sell Belichick broken goods. If Talib was a problem child (outside of the drug mistake), this trade never happens. If Schiano valued Talib but was willing to part with him (they seem to like Biggers a lot), then Belichick would have to pay fair value.

Seems like a good deal for both teams. Schiano needs to build his team with his guys (and send a message about personal responsibility) and Belichick needs to upgrade the M2M skills in the secondary before the playoffs.

Coach42 said:
Is McCourty really that big of an upgrade at safety or does everybody just feel more secure with that name back there? I think corner is a more valuable position to the defense than safety. I personally would rather have the rotation of wilson/chung/gregory at safety and play my best/most athletic players at corner.

a good safety can somewhat make up for poor cb play. and McCourty is probably the best overall option at safety when he learns the position better. he's fast...is a good read&react player. good tackler/solid against the run.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

BTW, for all those who've been saying "Coaching, not talent!"...

This is BB showing you he disagrees.

Well.......of course he disagrees. He's the coach :)

If it's a coaching problem, it's on him as much as it is Patricia/Flores, or whomever else.

Last edited:

In a pass-first league, I feel more comfortable with McCourty and Gregory/Wilson at safety than Chung and Gregory/Wilson at safety. Chung has had an absolutely awful year in pass coverage.

Wow--potentially serious add for you all. With his head screwed on straight, he has the ability to be a top 5 - 10 corner in this league.

He's a knucklehead of course (and as many have mentioned, a different category of knucklehead than say Moss when you first brought him in), but your locker room can handle it. Hardly any downside given the late picks given up, too. Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery and a stronger organization to shape up...

Gotta say though, as an outsider I would have bet a lot of money that you guys would already be set for many years in the defensive backfield, following the '09-'11 drafts and all the high round DB talent that was stockpiled. Is NE still high on McCourty or Dowling? (I know Dowling was IR'd again...)

More than I thought. Not the 7 [highlight]or[/highlight] the 4, but the 7 [highlight]and[/highlight] the 4.

I read it as the Pats give up a 4th, but get back Talib and TB's 7th. Not that the Pats gave up two picks for him.

Agreed, for once. Week after week the Pats play the most basic coverages almost nothing exotic or inventive because the players haven't been able to master the most basic coverages.

In the interest of fairness injuries certainly haven't helped.

09/17/12 - CB Aqib Talib had his toughest day as a pro trying to cover Giants WR Hakeen Nicks, who had 10 catches for 199 yards Sunday.

That 4th rounder, as it stands right now, is for 11 games only. If we win the SB, then that's value but by no means is this a steal. If he keeps his nose clean and signs a longer term contract then it may well turn out to be.

With 8 games left on his contract, he wouldn't have fetched a fourth even if he was a model citizen.

Our 4th for Talib and their 7th is way too much IMO. Hopefully we can extend him because I can't see him being worth a 4th for 8 games and the playoffs.

You have to assume that there has been some contract talk. These kind of things don't happen without it, but even if there hasn't been, it's worth a 4th rounder. If this makes our secondary a top half of the league unit (having 1 impact player back there is usually what it takes), then this team is the hands down Super Bowl favorite. I'll give up a fourth for that every year.

No brainer really.
The team just got a whole lot better, lets hope this team helps him staying away from trouble.

Take Tyrann Mathieu with the 7th we get from Tampa Bay. It would be poetic justice.

That would be fine if Mathieu isn't in jail from the recent drug arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST