PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trade details: CB Aqib Talib and a 2013 7th-round pick for a 2013 4th-round pick.

More than I thought. Not the 7 [highlight]or[/highlight] the 4, but the 7 [highlight]and[/highlight] the 4.

Seems like we gave up a bit... high risk high reward, I guess. Can't say I don't approve, though.

A fourth is a lot to give up but I suspect BB wasn't going to be a huge player in this draft with such a young roster and not many desperate needs. Still, if he's effective and eventually re-signs, a 4th could be a bargain.

More than I thought. Not the 7 [highlight]or[/highlight] the 4, but the 7 [highlight]and[/highlight] the 4.

No, we get a 7th back. We give up the 4th, get Talib and a 7th.

No, we gave up only the 4th. We got Talib and the Bucs' 7th.

You read it wrong.

Pats Get: Talib and 7th

Bucs Get: 4th

A fourth is a lot to give up but I suspect BB wasn't going to be a huge player in this draft with such a young roster and not many desperate needs. Still, if he's effective and eventually re-signs, a 4th could be a bargain.

He rented a NT for one season with a 4th. Won the Lombardi

Good player. Horrible person. Hopefully, he doesn't turn into another Haynesworth. Never thrilled when the Pats add turds, but I will be cautiously optimistic. He is a big CB who has skills that can make him elite.

Pretty much this. After his first few years I expected him to flame out of the NFL due to off field issues.

That being said, I have absolutely no issues with talking on players that are character risks. I trust BB wouldn't actually sign someone he believes will be detrimental to the team and he certainly is willing to part ways with someone who is a problem.

I think comparing him to Moss is wrong. Moss was just a childish dink and he got crucified for it. Talib is a borderline criminal. I sure as hell hope he's got his act together. Could be a great player.

FTR, I hope we see McCourty and Talib as the starting CBs. Chung, Wilson and Gregory splitting the safety duties.

Who would of thought the Pats could actually play press, man-to man coverage...halleluah. Both are Talib and Dennard's strengths.

I'd actually say this move has >= odds of panning out as would a NE draft pick spent on a defensive back so...great move!

Talib and 2013 7th round pick for 2013 4th round pick..

Quite a bit of risk there. Hope it works out better than Winslow, Haynesworth and Ocho.

Last edited:
Bucs are gonna hate hate picking 32nd in the 4th

And Patriots fans have plenty of time to adjust to the high likelihood that the Patriots will not be picking in the first round.

No, we get a 7th back. We give up the 4th, get Talib and a 7th.

...which will most likely be used on a wrestler, rugby player or a position switch....or a guy who falls because he beat up a cop.

Last edited:
yes! And the haters who mocked us in the possible trades thread need to eat some serious humble pie!

I am sure they are lining up to take their licks :rolleyes:

There's no way that the Pats gave up a #1 pick for Talib. He's in the last year of his contract, has major character concerns, is serving a suspension, and the Bucs were going to let him walk after this season anyway. A 3rd rounder would be too much.

Didn't know the deal on his contract; I was speculating primarily based on production stats which validated his original draft position.

Also the fact that both TB and the Pats would be expecting any Pats pick to be in the 29-32 range essentially means that a Pats #1 is essentially a #2 to anybody else.

Also the fact that this is a Pats position of need and deal bumped flat up against the trade deadline (essentially already passed before nfl could process the paperwork); leads me to believe that TB was dictating the deal terms; not the Pats.

So a conditional Pats#1 IMO is not that outrageous if Talib was on the hook for longer contract wise. Based on what you say and learning a few other misbehaviour issues; I still think we are talking rounds 1-3 conditional. But I guess we'll hear soon enough - it is bye week with nothing else to talk about.

You read it wrong.

Pats Get: Talib and 7th

Bucs Get: 4th

Thanks for the clarification. That's better.

I still think they'll try to turn that 1st into multiple picks, unless they see a safety they feel they can't pass up.

Last edited:

4th a little high but getting the 7th takes the sting off a little bit. If this helps the secondary improve then it's a well spent pick. Especially if he stays out of trouble and puts us in position to compete for a championship.

Personally I'm excited about the move. He has got some real nice production and instantly becomes the best cb on our roster talent wise. Again Im very excited that we got help back there. I was totally expecting nothing to happen before the trade deadline.

Six pages of giving the guy a pass. Thanks for pointing out the guy's been a real problem. I hope he works out, but wouldn't be surprised if he's really good and gets cut for off the field issues.

I never give these guys a pass. I never was a fan of Dillon, Moss, or Haynesworth (granted Moss is in a different category of the other two). I will never be a fan of Talib, but I will hope that he becomes a Pro Bowler here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes