PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have 'Strong Interest' in LB Schobel but he wants to be paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
he had 10 sacks last year so he can get at lest 6 to 7 million in a uncaped year IMO not worth it he would only have 5 or 6 sacks in this system as a nickel DE... pay mankins, befor we see the nightmare of Dan Connolly at LG

No way the Krafts ever let Mankins put on a Patriots uniform again after that personal attack. I would love to see Mankins back at LG, but its never gonna happen.

No way the Krafts ever let Mankins put on a Patriots uniform again after that personal attack. I would love to see Mankins back at LG, but its never gonna happen.

i have alredy seen about 3 post saying he attacked the kraft family i did not know he even talked what did he say ?

Look up the definition of "order of magnitude" then get back to me.

And, yes, draws do slow down the pass rush.

Again, I know what an order of magnitude is. Look up the definition of "several".

Now that dictionary time is over, have a nice day.

And draws don't slow down a pass rush up the middle if they are successful. They aren't going to be successful if the guard can't hold the point of attack at least to some extent, because a quality opponent will beat the draw before the play can develop.

Or do you think a guy like Ngata will just wait for Brady to hand the ball off to the running back and the back to get up a head of steam?

Last edited:
Here is just a snippet of his tirade:

"Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

Essentially, Mankins says that the Krafts, ( Bob, Jonathan ) broke promises to him about his contract. Media reports have the Patriots offering Mankins a deal which will make him a Top 5 NFL paid OG. Reportedly Mankins is demanding to be the highest paid OG in the history of the NFL.

Again, I know what an order of magnitude is. Look up the definition of "several".

Now that dictionary time is over, have a nice day.

"being more than two"

Which means at least 3 as orders of magnitude are integers.

Which means at least 10 ^ 3 which equals at least 1000 times which is what I said.

1) I would sign Schoebel in a heartbeat to a 1-2 year contract. However, I don't expect Belichick to do so. He doesn't want to rent any player for one year for $8M. Also, I expect that Schoebel wants to play in Texas. Besides, he's not unhappy with our DE's and LB's.

2) I would try to sign Mankins to a $7M-$8M one year contract if a 4-6 deal can't be reached. I think that "making him play this year for $1.6M" and expecting him to sign a long-term new contract that starts in 2011 is fine if the signing bonus due this year and the guaranteed money is enough. Obviously it hasn't been.

Expecting him to play for $1.6M plus incentives is a non-starter. No amount of whining by fans will "make" Mankins accept such a deal.

Mankins will very likely be a free agent in 2011. It seems unlikely that a second very wierd term concerning RFA's will be included in yet another CBA.

3) Signing Schoebel and Mankins are not related. In any case, both are very unlikely to happen.

4) Public statements and apologies are fun for fans. They don't effect real negotiations much. Mankins doesn't want to play for what the patriots want to pay, and Mankins is willing to sit out a year. The patriots are willing to have him sit out and accept at most a compensatory 2012 3rd round draft pick in return for Mankins. It really is that simple.

"Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."
I'm not sure how the Patriots move on from that. I wish someone would offer reasonable value for Mankins, I'd move him in a moment. Hope he's enjoying the farm.

Essentially, Mankins says that the Krafts, ( Bob, Jonathan ) broke promises to him about his contract. Media reports have the Patriots offering Mankins a deal which will make him a Top 5 NFL paid OG. Reportedly Mankins is demanding to be the highest paid OG in the history of the NFL.
I thought Mankins used "Lier" or "Liers" in referring to the Krafts. I remember thinking what Mankins said was pretty ugly.

Last edited:
1) I would sign Schoebel in a heartbeat to a 1-2 year contract. However, I don't expect Belichick to do so. He doesn't want to rent any player for one year for $8M. Also, I expect that Schoebel wants to play in Texas. Besides, he's not unhappy with our DE's and LB's.

2) I would try to sign Mankins to a $7M-$8M one year contract if a 4-6 deal can't be reached. I think that "making him play this year for $1.6M" and expecting him to sign a long-term new contract that starts in 2011 is fine if the signing bonus due this year and the guaranteed money is enough. Obviously it hasn't been.

Expecting him to play for $1.6M plus incentives is a non-starter. No amount of whining by fans will "make" Mankins accept such a deal.

Mankins will very likely be a free agent in 2011. It seems unlikely that a second very wierd term concerning RFA's will be included in yet another CBA.

3) Signing Schoebel and Mankins are not related. In any case, both are very unlikely to happen.

4) Public statements and apologies are fun for fans. They don't effect real negotiations much. Mankins doesn't want to play for what the patriots want to pay, and Mankins is willing to sit out a year. The patriots are willing to have him sit out and accept at most a compensatory 2012 3rd round draft pick in return for Mankins. It really is that simple.

This sounds right to me. The Pats could let Mankins shoot his way out of town, essentially promising Mankins that if he signs his tender that they would trade him ( for a 2nd rounder ? ) to team willing to give him the contract he desires. My guess is that the Pats are reluctant to set that precedent and are content to let him sit out and eventually get a 3rd round comp for him.

I thought Mankins used "Lier" or "Lied" in referring to the Krafts. I remember thinking what Mankins said was pretty ugly.

You are correct. I only posted a small snippet of his tirade.

i have seen players say worst and still re-sign but the pats are not one of dose teams i guess they will trade him by mid season for a 3rd round pick

If precedent is of such imporance, they should allow Mankins' agent secure a deal with a team that will give at least a 2011 second to the patriots, as they did with Branch WHO WAS UNDER CONTRACT. Mankins is not even under contract. Or have I recalled that situation incorrectly?

This sounds right to me. The Pats could let Mankins shoot his way out of town, essentially promising Mankins that if he signs his tender that they would trade him ( for a 2nd rounder ? ) to team willing to give him the contract he desires. My guess is that the Pats are reluctant to set that precedent and are content to let him sit out and eventually get a 3rd round comp for him.

If precedent is of such imporance, they should allow Mankins' agent secure a deal with a team that will give at least a 2011 second to the patriots, as they did with Branch WHO WAS UNDER CONTRACT. Mankins is not even under contract. Or have I recalled that situation incorrectly?

No I think you have it correct but recall how ugly that was. Read Below:

No trade was made, and Branch filed a grievance claiming that the Patriots violated an agreement by not completing a fair trade between them and a team willing to give Branch a contract extension.
Branch also had a non-injury grievance pending that the Patriots failed to negotiate in good faith; that grievance was to be heard first, though the NFL argued that both grievances are basically the same.

I think the Patriots won't go down that road again.

I would never question the FO. However, it APPEARS that in the Branch case, the team did EXACTLY what I suggested. Then when Branch's agent brought in a deal that was consistent with what the patriots had indicated, the patriots turned around and said that this was not enough. A grievance was filed and was sustained. Patriots fans of course know that it was Branch and his agent that were in the wrong. The patriots would NEVER say one thing and then do another.

The patriots COULD go down this road again, but only if they are willing to state what they will accept in trade, and then to actually accept the trade when offered. I suspect that you ar correct and that the patriots will not go sdown this road.

No I think you have it correct but recall how ugly that was. Read Below:

No trade was made, and Branch filed a grievance claiming that the Patriots violated an agreement by not completing a fair trade between them and a team willing to give Branch a contract extension.
Branch also had a non-injury grievance pending that the Patriots failed to negotiate in good faith; that grievance was to be heard first, though the NFL argued that both grievances are basically the same.

I think the Patriots won't go down that road again.

Not to me, you can work around a weak OL with double teams and quicker passes. The new TE will help a ton with OL schemes if we use them as blockers at times. BTW, "several orders of magnitude" means about 1,000 times so . . .

You've assigned the number of orders. Rather than three, I might have meant more. Or, just possibly, I could have been using hyperbole to make a point...

"being more than two"

Which means at least 3 as orders of magnitude are integers.

Which means at least 10 ^ 3 which equals at least 1000 times which is what I said.

Seems to me I grasped the notion of orders of magnitude every bit as well as you did. As for several, "about 1000 times" is not the same as "at least 1000 times", but that's unimportant. As I said, dictionary time is over, so let's move on.

Last edited:
I would never question the FO. However, it APPEARS that in the Branch case, the team did EXACTLY what I suggested. Then when Branch's agent brought in a deal that was consistent with what the patriots had indicated, the patriots turned around and said that this was not enough. A grievance was filed and was sustained. Patriots fans of course know that it was Branch and his agent that were in the wrong. The patriots would NEVER say one thing and then do another.

The patriots COULD go down this road again, but only if they are willing to state what they will accept in trade, and then to actually accept the trade when offered. I suspect that you ar correct and that the patriots will not go sdown this road.

Yes, what if the agent says he has a deal with the Jets. My guess is that the Pats don't want to arbitrate that either.

I may have misled you with regard to my positon. Let me re-state. The patriots can make conditions; they just need to state them. for example, the patriots might make this statement and even put it writing.

"The patriots will trade Mankins for a 2011 1st or 2nd round draft choice with anyone not in the AFC East if the offer for a deal is presented to the patriots by EOB August 22nd."

Yes, what if the agent says he has a deal with the Jets. My guess is that the Pats don't want to arbitrate that either.

I may have misled you with regard to my positon. Let me re-state. The patriots can make conditions; they just need to state them. for example, the patriots might make this statement and even put it writing.

"The patriots will trade Mankins for a 2011 1st or 2nd round draft choice with anyone not in the AFC East if the offer for a deal is presented to the patriots by EOB August 22nd."

We agree. My point was that I would expect Mankin's agent to file a claim saying that if the Patriots have granted them permission to negotiate a trade with other teams, than they do not have the right to exclude one ( or four ) teams from that process. It is a labor question that I am almost certain came up with the Deion Branch situation.

While they might well win, it is my guess that having a judge arbitrate a labor claim violation on the matter is something they would like to avoid.

Bring Schobel in, but on the other hand and I know he's no Schobel, but Burgesss hasn't officially retired yet.

Admitting you were wrong is good for the soul. Admit it and move on. Quit being a f*cking loser who b!tches and whines and won't admit he was wrong.

So now you're saying that 1000 times is NOT 3 orders of magnitude?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft