PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have 'Strong Interest' in LB Schobel but he wants to be paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If needed" doesn't refer to that being a throwaway in the negotiations. It refers to doing what one should if one's been wrong. I'm not sure why you would find that amusing, but different strokes and all that.

Please Mr. Mankins, we're sorry for being such unscrupulous liars.

If we get down on our knees will you take this truckload of long term cash to play the easiest position on the roster to fill, so we can send home this waiting room full of former starters willing to play for almost vet minimum, the three draft picks, and two vets we have been keeping or overpaying on our practice squad?

Sure, we could use the money to pay one of the best pass rushers in football, but what impact would that have compared to a guard, the third most important position in the offensive line (out of 3)?

Last edited:
Pay the man, pay Mankins and apologize to him if needed
I'd toss in some incentives to give him a possible pay boost but he's the one who called the team liars. Your apology (I know you put in the "if" disclaimer) is going in the wrong direction.

Please Mr. Mankins, we're sorry for being such unscrupulous liars.

If we get down on our knees will you take this truckload of long term cash to play the easiest position on the roster to fill, so we can send home this waiting room full of former starters willing to play for almost vet minimum, the three draft picks, and two vets we have been keeping or overpaying on our practice squad?

Sure, we could use the money to pay one of the best pass rushers in football, but what impact would that have compared to a guard, the third most important position in the offensive line (out of 3)?

I find it amusing to watch you belittle those concerned about guard after you spent years whining like a spoiled child about the linebacker position for the wrong reasons. You keep on chugging, little caboose!

If they are really excited about the talent assembled in Foxboro (and they sure seem to be), inking all three would really prove they are serious about things this year. Deus, as a fan, I could not agree more - extend Brady, figure out how to make the cowboy happy and get Aaron in here..........it really is there for the taking. Come on Bob Kraft, step up and help BB to get his done.

to me they have more than already proved that they are serious about winning every year and Kraft does not have to step up to prove this to be true but certainly my excitement, which is already off the walls, would go sky high if he he did get the three done.

I'd toss in some incentives to give him a possible pay boost but he's the one who called the team liars. Your apology (I know you put in the "if" disclaimer) is going in the wrong direction.

If the Patriots conveyed the impression that they wouldn't stick him with the contract's final year and then tried to do so, for example, it's pretty easy to apologize for a 'misunderstanding' due to an error on their part. It can be done with no loss of face, and is generally an excellent way to head in the right direction.

If the Patriots conveyed the impression that they wouldn't stick him with the contract's final year and then tried to do so, for example, it's pretty easy to apologize for a 'misunderstanding' due to an error on their part. It can be done with no loss of face, and is generally an excellent way to head in the right direction.

If it's a simple as that and the money's there or close, Pats management should step up get it done. There's no business or mamagement reason not to be privately concilatory towards a long time employee who's had a recent rift. I view OL as the keystone to protecting the HOF franchise player.

I find it amusing to watch you belittle those concerned about guard after you spent years whining like a spoiled child about the linebacker position for the wrong reasons. You keep on chugging, little caboose!

So you think we're all right at OLB/ DE pass rusher, but the lack of one interior lineman is going to sink us?

I'll gladly spend half what Mankins long term contract would be on a couple years of Schobel.

As Bill says.

You can always find a Guard

Are you saying our management is stupid? if the lied, the lied.

So you think we're all right at OLB/ DE pass rusher, but the lack of one interior lineman is going to sink us?

I'll gladly spend half what Mankins long term contract would be on a couple years of Schobel.

I think that Brady's health is far more important than the presence of a former Bills linebacker. Prior to reading your posts, I'd assumed that everyone would be on board with that pretty obvious line of thinking. I failed to take into account your complete lack of rationality on the linebacker situation.

Unless providence drops a quality O-lineman into the Patriots laps, Mankins is more important than Schobel by several orders of magnitude.

I think that Brady's health is far more important than the presence of a former Bills linebacker. Prior to reading your posts, I'd assumed that everyone would be on board with that pretty obvious line of thinking. I failed to take into account your complete lack of rationality on the linebacker situation.
So guard's are now the most important pass protection position on the line? That's novel.

Mankins is more important than Schobel by several orders of magnitude.

Of course, how silly of me. You can pick up top pass rushers easily, that's why we didn't skip a beat replacing Colvin, McGinest and Vrabel.

Marques Murrell is ready to step up.

Unless providence drops a quality O-lineman into the Patriots laps, Mankins is more important than Schobel by several orders of magnitude.
Not to me, you can work around a weak OL with double teams and quicker passes. The new TE will help a ton with OL schemes if we use them as blockers at times. BTW, "several orders of magnitude" means about 1,000 times so . . .

Last edited:
Don't forget that Houston is a playoff caliber team. It has the HUGE advantage of being where his family lives. Sometimes guys later in their career want to spend more famiily time realizing how much they've missed. Obviously Schobel is somewhat dissillusioned with football at this juncture and may just wish to make a few bucks close to home and set himself up for a post football career where he lives. Also in contention would be the Redskins where former mentor and friend Williams coaches.

2009: 9-7 2nd in division
2008: 8-8 3rd in division
2007: 8-8 4th in division
2006: 6-10 4th in division
2005: 2-14 4th in division
2004: 7-9 3rd in division
2003: 5-11 4th in division
2002: 4-12 4th in division

2010 strength of schedule: #1 hardest schedule in the league.

The team IS getting better, but can you really say they're a playoff team going against the hardest schedule?

So guard's are now the most important pass protection position on the line? That's novel.

I didn't say that, as you well know. This is going to be another "Steelers linebackers!" emotional break for you, isn't it?

Of course, how silly of me. You can pick up top pass rushers easily, that's why we didn't skip a beat replacing Colvin, McGinest and Vrabel.

Marques Murrell is ready to step up.

Of course, Colvin was a replacement for another player, but you choose to ignore that I see.

Not to me, you can work around a weak OL with double teams and quicker passes. The new TE will help a ton with OL schemes if we use them as blockers at times. BTW, "several orders of magnitude" means about 1,000 times so . . .

1.) I know what "several orders of magnitude" implies. Having protection for Brady is far more important than adding a pass rusher to the mix. Without a pass rush last season, the Patriots were still the #5 scoring defense in the NFL. In the absence of a quality guard, the smart play is Mankins over Schobel, every time.

2.) If the tight ends are forced to remain in blocking all the time because the guards can't do their job, who's going to catch the passes? Which double teamed receiver is going to be open?

Don't forget that Houston is a playoff caliber team. It has the HUGE advantage of being where his family lives. Sometimes guys later in their career want to spend more famiily time realizing how much they've missed. Obviously Schobel is somewhat dissillusioned with football at this juncture and may just wish to make a few bucks close to home and set himself up for a post football career where he lives. Also in contention would be the Redskins where former mentor and friend Williams coaches.

He is also sick of losing. Houston doesn't exactly offer him a winning atmosphere.

If they are really excited about the talent assembled in Foxboro (and they sure seem to be), inking all three would really prove they are serious about things this year. Deus, as a fan, I could not agree more - extend Brady, figure out how to make the cowboy happy and get Aaron in here..........it really is there for the taking. Come on Bob Kraft, step up and help BB to get his done.

That's why you're a fan. It's not your budget you're blowing... For the last time, this team never takes the shortsighted view. They are in it for the long haul. They will not mortgage the next decade to placate a fan base that annually lives for the moment because they can always turn around and call you stupid, shortsighted idiots who wrecked their second decade of dominance later...

That's why you're a fan. It's not your budget you're blowing... For the last time, this team never takes the shortsighted view. They are in it for the long haul. They will not mortgage the next decade to placate a fan base that annually lives for the moment because they can always turn around and call you stupid, shortsighted idiots who wrecked their second decade of dominance later...

The Junior Seau signing from last year says otherwise, as do many other Patriots moves throughout the course of BB's tenure. The reality is that one of BB's strengths is that he is generally able to take both a short-term and near-term view.

Also, since you're tossing out the "That's why you're a fan" line, perhaps you'd like to disclose your position in the Patriots organization?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes