PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have 'Strong Interest' in LB Schobel but he wants to be paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me Mankins is more important than Schobel. Mankins is/was an every down player - 1st,2nd,3rd,4th downs. And, hes partly responsible with Matt Light to keep the Pats franchise QB standing upright.

I cannot think of a more important task than to protect Tom Brady.

Krafty will sign the cheaper of the two; Mankins or Schobel....

The Pats are plenty willing to make short-term moves, as long as it doesn't unduly compromise them in the long- term. Sometimes to a pretty nonsensical extent (trading a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess). I agree that they value the long term over the short, but there's definitely a balance to consider. If it takes a couple million more than they would have paid Burgess in an uncapped season to lure Schobel, then of course they should go for it.

Absolutely. I'm not the one attempting to equate any short term move with being shortsighted. Being shortsighted is compromising the long term to just win it now...and worry about the consequences (whether you do or certainly moreso if you don't) later. People who persistently call for that whatever it takes strategy are the same folks who routinely call for someone's head in hindsight thereafter.

I've been reading Pats Fans for probably about 7 years now. Why is it that just about every thread, especially over the last 2 years, Deus Irae is able to come in and just be a complete intolerable douchebag to every and anyone that disagrees with his point? Get a grip dude. There are ways of getting your point across without belittling those who disagree with it.

Whoa! He musta clubbed baby seels or something

he had 10 sacks last year so he can get at lest 6 to 7 million in a uncaped year IMO not worth it he would only have 5 or 6 sacks in this system as a nickel DE... pay mankins, befor we see the nightmare of Dan Connolly at LG

Sacks are good, but he will also bring pressure on to the QB which will greatly help the defense. And Mankins' contract is a significantly different issue.

If the guy shows any interest in signing with the Pats, they better pay him. If all he's asking for is for a 1-2 year deal, and the Pats don't sign him, that's pathetic considering it's an uncapped year.

The addition of Schobel would help.

As for Mankins, I won't be upset if they end up trading him. Of course I'd like to see him back, but as the Pats have shown in the past, guards are replaceable.

Agreed!!

If the team thinks that he can make the move to OLB, then I'm all for it as long as we take care of business with a few others first. But if he's only going to come in to play DE in subpackages then let him go to Houston.

I could have sworn you were a fan of getting Schobel earlier. Was that before the price was known(estimated)? Also, as has been stated, even as just a DE rusher on sub packages, he'd still probably play 50% of the downs.

Ironically I just got into an interesting discussion about the Patriots' sub-packages at The Math Message Board @ Math2.org

That was YOU? I should have figured that out once "Jewometry" started talking about the Pats.

Not sure how credible the guy is, but Iasked Giardi about this on Twitter. His response (citing Reiss):

he wants bank but not to the degree of what he walked away from. @MikeReiss says somewhere b/t 5 and 7 mil

I could see 5 Mill, but not much more. And he'd HAVE to play 50%.

The Pats sure got screwed on the Burgess deal.

A 3rd and 5th for one lousy year.

I would love to have Schobel, but he would be a total **** if he signed with us. The Bills released him out of stupidity or kindness and he can't repay them by signing with a divisional rival that they never win against.

I've been reading Pats Fans for probably about 7 years now. Why is it that just about every thread, especially over the last 2 years, Deus Irae is able to come in and just be a complete intolerable douchebag to every and anyone that disagrees with his point? Get a grip dude. There are ways of getting your point across without belittling those who disagree with it.
Yesterday was the first time I've ever added a poster to an ignore list on a forum. The guy ruins every thread imo and I'm happy to be without his ability to turn every thread into an argument about some piece of inane minutia

Not sure how credible the guy is, but Iasked Giardi about this on Twitter. His response (citing Reiss):

I could see 5 Mill, but not much more. And he'd HAVE to play 50%.

John McClain - the Houston beat reporter - says that money/budget may be an issue there since in the aftermath of the Johnson signing they may be a little strapped. Even in an uncapped year, teams have budget constrictions. Although if Williams hip is serious...

As Tom Curren opined that kind of money might be a tough sell in this locker room given they have two guys waiting on contracts. That said, if Warren's hip is more than sore, our front 7 may just need a veteran, impact infusion anywhere it can find one because a lot of backups/youngsters are going to be surrounding Big Vince. The tough part for BB would be not having a guy in camp he is transitioning to a totally different defense on the fly. It was slow going with AD that first season and he was in all off season - it can be far harder to teach a stubborn older dog new tricks than some young pup. If Belichick sees system fit problems he may be less interested in taking a flyer than the fanbase or media.

Ironically I just got into an interesting discussion about the Patriots' sub-packages at The Math Message Board @ Math2.org

The beasts at the math message board like having Patriots debates in their offseason? Good stuff.

I could have sworn you were a fan of getting Schobel earlier. Was that before the price was known(estimated)? Also, as has been stated, even as just a DE rusher on sub packages, he'd still probably play 50% of the downs.

Someone forcing you to read my posts again, huh? This is what I said...

I'm not sure if he would want to take a pay cut, but if he would, I would love to have him here has a pass rushing DE in sub-packages.

If he wanted to take a pay cut on a multi-year deal, I would take him as a DE in subpackages. If he wanted to come here for one year to do the same, I would be a fan of backing up the Brinks truck for him as long as Kraft was okay with it (being that this is an uncapped year). If he's unwilling to take a pay cut on a multi-year deal to be a DE in subpackages and not able to contribute at OLB, I'm against it.

Yesterday was the first time I've ever added a poster to an ignore list on a forum. The guy ruins every thread imo and I'm happy to be without his ability to turn every thread into an argument about some piece of inane minutia

Joining a long list by now.

Just for the record, since your post got someone else to pile on the griping, my first post was mocked with the "pigs fly" icon by another poster, and that was followed up with more derisive posts from that same person:

:pigsfly::pigsfly::rofl::rofl:

Please Mr. Mankins, we're sorry for being such unscrupulous liars.

If we get down on our knees will you take this truckload of long term cash to play the easiest position on the roster to fill, so we can send home this waiting room full of former starters willing to play for almost vet minimum, the three draft picks, and two vets we have been keeping or overpaying on our practice squad?

Sure, we could use the money to pay one of the best pass rushers in football, but what impact would that have compared to a guard, the third most important position in the offensive line (out of 3)?

I'm not the one who tried to tie Seymour into the discussion in an insulting manner:

Wow, that's refreshing from the guy that b*tched and moaned all year about the seymour trade. So much for the importance of DE/OLB play.

I'm also not the one who took "several orders of magnitude" literally, even after another poster noted its use as a rhetorical device, and turned the thread into a discussion of 10^3 being 1000 and called out the other poster for being "stupid" in the process:

Then you're just being intentionally stupid, sorry but you can't possibly think Mankins is 1,000 times more important than Schobel would be...

I don't claim to be all flowers and candy on here but, if you're going to complain about what went on in this thread, get the right instigators.

Now you have yourself a great week.

Last edited:
Just for the record, since your post got someone else to pile on the griping, my first post was mocked with the "pigs fly" icon by another poster, and that was followed up with more derisive posts from that same person:

You said the Patriots should apologize to Mankins after he called them liars. The derision was richly deserved. I've never put you on ignore, so don't get me involved in this.

Looking at Darnell Stapletons' rise from community college, I'm thinking even an apology from Logan might not get the Patriots to reoffer Mankins 7 mil per on a long term deal. there are other places to spend that money than on a petulant guard.

You said the Patriots should apologize to Mankins after he called them liars. The derision was richly deserved. I've never put you on ignore, so don't get me involved in this.

Looking at Darnell Stapletons' rise from community college, I'm thinking even an apology from Logan might not get the Patriots to reoffer Mankins 7 mil per on a long term deal. there are other places to spend that money than on a petulant guard.

I was responding to someone who was complaining about my posting in this thread and noting that it wasn't me who'd instigated the confrontations. I wasn't trying to involve you in anything other than to point that out and demonstrate it. Frankly, I didn't think our back-and-forth was any big deal, did you?

Last edited:
I was responding to someone who was complaining about my posting in this thread and noting that it wasn't me who'd instigated the confrontations. I wasn't trying to involve you in anything other than to point that out and demonstrate it. Frankly, I didn't think our back-and-forth was any big deal, did you?

Not at all, that's why I replied. I'm not sensitive and I have given it to you on occasion when I felt you deserved it (like the pigs fly).:D

It takes two to argue and when I get to upset, I just stop arguing. Works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe