PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Onwenu Re-signed Per Ian Rap: 3 years: $57 million.

This is excellent news, the best player-related news of the offseason so far IMHO. They now have solidified RG for 3 years, supported by Sow and/or Mafi, and if Strange gets healthy they have a solid group at guard.

The price may seem a bit steep for a RG but let’s remember they remain in good shape relative to the cap currently and project to have substantial cap space after next season. They know what they have with Onwenu so iin my book if it is a “splurge” it’s not an “overspend”

Now let’s hope they can address the dumpster fire at LT, at a minimum on Day 2 of the draft, and get some great work done this offseason and camp with the guys they have and/or bring in. I’m more optimistic about Okorafor than some on this forum, but understand their concerns, and I remain hopeful about Anderson and Wheatley.

Last edited:
Fields can extend drives has a cannon and is tough.
It’s like drafting a mix of Jayden Daniel’s and Joe Milton with a third to 5th rounder.

Why pay Brisket 20 mill a season.
Insanity id rather roll the dice with Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold or Drew Lock.
Brisket isn’t getting $20 mill a season

Good player. That contract is market rate but I'd rather them spend on some kind of playmaker. But cool.

I’m leaning more and more to a model where you draft your receivers regularly with day 1&2 picks, and let them walk in free agency. The cost of paying them has gotten way too high, and the talent pool in the drafts are high. If Cincy pays both Higgins and Chase they will be using a 3rd of their cap on 3 players.

Awaiting the details, but it looks like Mike fleeced the Pats.

I agree with this. Strange is 6’5 and a freaky athlete. He’ll have less issues mirroring DE’s than he will trying to anchor against DT’s.
His arms are a bit short for a tackle, only 33" when 34.5 is more typical.

I don't know what we do, we have too many guards and not enough tackles. I wonder if either Okorafor or Sow are being considered for LT?

Oko started at RT for 4 years, he might be our best RT. Onwenu is our best RG. Where would that leave Sow?

I did not think we would pay that for a guard who is not elite. I thought mid teend. I guess they valued his versatility more than I thought.

How much is too guard money these days?

I assume short contract made it more palpable? I don't him as OT though unless out of necessity.

What do you mean "a guard who is not Elite"?? Two years ago, Onwenu was top 3 at RG. They only kicked him out to RT because of need.

He'll be back at RG this year with Sow likely working behind Okorafor at RT unless they kick Sow to LG if Strange is out for any length of time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Strange convert to LT or OC, honestly.. Thought that the Pats had him pegged for LT when they drafted him, honestly.

His arms are a bit short for a tackle, only 33" when 34.5 is more typical.

I don't know what we do, we have too many guards and not enough tackles. I wonder if either Okorafor or Sow are being considered for LT?

Oko started at RT for 4 years, he might be our best RT. Onwenu is our best RG. Where would that leave Sow?

His arms are longer than Matt Lights.

Not sure why you say we have too many guards. Not when Reiff, Ferentz, and Russey are gone.

I can vividly recall a season when the Patriots went through four - FOUR - centers in a single season.

Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly were perenially moving from LG to RG to C, along with a cast of other IOL.

Now the Pats IOL consists of Andrews/Andrews at C, and Onwenu/Sow/Strange at G.
So maybe Onwenu has to play OT for a year, with a rookie at the other OT.
With Sow/Strange/Andrews/late draft pick/FA at G, we are good on the inside.

The Interior Offensive Line is the least of this team's concerns.
And while Onwenu is not a great OT, at least that position just became more palitable than it was yesterday.

Keep in mind. Our offensive coordinator is someone who was fired by the Browns. The browns...

And our awesome young startup head coach has never coached a single game in his life. At any level... Ever.

There's not a whole lot of evidence to be handing out any trust like that.
That's a tough take on AVP. I am not going to pretend to know the particulars, but it does appear he was forced out out by ownership because of Watson's lack of development.

That makes little sense given that a lot of Watson's problems there has been not being on the field. Second they won 11 games with 4 different QBs. With that said he wasn't the play caller. So how much input did Stefansky have for that offense etc...

Too many moving parts in that situation to really toss out "oh he was fired" as if he was in total control of the offensive side of the ball. On the flip side it's hard to get overly excited about the hire for the same reason.

I am the definition of middle of the road on this hire. In fact I am middle of the road on the entire coaching staff. Mayo would not of been my choice, given the options, but I digress.

I am optimistic but concerned.

I can vividly recall a season when the Patriots went through four - FOUR - centers in a single season.

Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly were perenially moving from LG to RG to C, along with a cast of other IOL.

Now the Pats IOL consists of Andrews/Andrews at C, and Onwenu/Sow/Strange at G.
So maybe Onwenu has to play OT for a year, with a rookie at the other OT.
With Sow/Strange/Andrews/late draft pick/FA at G, we are good on the inside.

The Interior Offensive Line is the least of this team's concerns.
And while Onwenu is not a great OT, at least that position just became more palitable than it was yesterday.

You've forgotten Mafi.

Conor McDemott can also play Guard. So can Steuber.

Even if they moved Strange to LT, they need to take an OT in the 1st or 2nd round who can play both sides. They should ALSO take one in the 3rd round, personally..

Just saw this update, great to see him back. The contract is a little rich for my blood but waiting to see the actual breakdown of what’s real and what’s incentives.

His arms are longer than Matt Lights.

Not sure why you say we have too many guards. Not when Reiff, Ferentz, and Russey are gone.
I think our depth chart looks like this:

LT: McDermott, Oko, Stueber
LG: Strange, Mafi
C: Andrews, Andrews
RG: Sow, Onwenu
RT: Onwenu, Oko, Wheatley

We're short at LT unless Oko can play there. I've seen some old articles suggesting he would have played there in Pitt except that they had nobody else that could play RT.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back