PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots re-sign Bourne for 3 years

Bottom line is these players didn't suck... Mac sucked, and the offensive line fielded the most different starting five combinations in the NFL due to injury.

Fans here and other forums often say they understand that football is a team sport, but then they make foolish statements like "Mac only sucked because the weapons sucked" not realizing that the same doesn't hold true for Brady, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert or any top tier QB in the NFL.

The ball travels in one direction, receivers can't throw to themselves, they're beholden to good scheme, good blocking and good QB play... weapons can't produce in a vacuum. Randy Moss on the Raiders in 2006 was washed up and old, on the Patriots in 2007 he posted the single greatest receiving season in history. It's a team sport.
Yep, a weapon is only as effective as its wielder, and Mac turned these weapons into popguns.

I'm really happy about this. Bourne is one of the few effective and likeable players on O. If he recovers well from his surgery, he should make a good 2.5 WR in the right system.

So there was outrage when Schuster signed last season, but this is okay? Quite bizarre they rush into signing a WR coming off a torn ACL. For the Pats sake, I'm hoping they have an out after 2024 if his knee "blows out".
Today's ACL is not your mother's ACL.

Bottom line is these players didn't suck... Mac sucked, and the offensive line fielded the most different starting five combinations in the NFL due to injury.

Fans here and other forums often say they understand that football is a team sport, but then they make foolish statements like "Mac only sucked because the weapons sucked" not realizing that the same doesn't hold true for Brady, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert or any top tier QB in the NFL.

The ball travels in one direction, receivers can't throw to themselves, they're beholden to good scheme, good blocking and good QB play... weapons can't produce in a vacuum. Randy Moss on the Raiders in 2006 was washed up and old, on the Patriots in 2007 he posted the single greatest receiving season in history. It's a team sport.

WR and QB are very different. With a QB, there's one guy out there. He's either good enough or not. With "receiving options" in general (not just WR), you have 5 out there at any given time. A guy can "suck" as a #1 but be a great #3. There's more variability.

I don't think our receiving options all sucked as players, but they sucked for their spots on the depth chart. They made things tougher on Mac for sure with that overall position group. But you could still see that Mac sucked himself and made things harder on the receivers at the same time. It's not an either-or.

I would like to see them extend Peppers, he has played great for them. And he’s a tonsetter on the field.

Yep, picking up offenses would not be accurate with Bourne

I think sometimes people just like making things up
People decide where they stand, then make stuff up to support their decision. Maybe they’re practicing for our new political era?

WR and QB are very different. With a QB, there's one guy out there. He's either good enough or not. With "receiving options" in general (not just WR), you have 5 out there at any given time. A guy can "suck" as a #1 but be a great #3. There's more variability.

I don't think our receiving options all sucked as players, but they sucked for their spots on the depth chart. They made things tougher on Mac for sure with that overall position group. But you could still see that Mac sucked himself and made things harder on the receivers at the same time. It's not an either-or.
Hunter Henry is one of the better TE's in the league, it doesn't matter the roster. Juju was the leading WR for the Super Bowl winner in both the regular season and playoffs the season before this last one. Bourne has always been good for us when healthy. Demario looks like a jitterbug in the slot.

A stud QB and a healthy offensive line in 2023 and the weapons would have been great, we had neither of those things last season.

Mac sucked, we have to stop lying to ourselves.

3 years, $33 million.
It's ok. Nothing mind blowing. Our WR corps was pretty poor last year. Bourne could be a decent #2 WR but we still lack the WR1. JSS was trash and Parker was inconsistent. I'm thinking Bourne and Douglas could be decent #2/#3 options but we still need a #1 to slot everyone else into usefulness.

Just saw it’s actually 3 for $19.5 with a max of $33. So even better.
Incentives laden contract? That makes me feel better. If he doesn't do great he's only making about 7m AAV. If he's hitting 33 million that means he's playing gangbusters and was worth the money.

So there was outrage when Schuster signed last season, but this is okay? Quite bizarre they rush into signing a WR coming off a torn ACL. For the Pats sake, I'm hoping they have an out after 2024 if his knee "blows out".
The difference, at least for me is the KB was performing well prior to the ACL and JuJu didn't really do **** on the Chiefs. The other part of that, again for me, is the signing him meant the Jakobi was gone and Jakobi was a rockstar for us. Very reliable and able to create separation and seemed to come up big when needed.

This whole receiver core just needs a true #1 and you can never afford one in free agency, only in the draft.

This whole receiver core just needs a true #1 and you can never afford one in free agency, only in the draft.
That’s why I was hoping for MHJ. Unfortunately looks like that’s now a lost cause with Mac gone and Brisket on board as a one year bridge.

That’s why I was hoping for MHJ. Unfortunately looks like that’s now a lost cause with Mac gone and Brisket on board as a one year bridge.
Why? We are in rebuild mode? Are you sold on the 3rd qb in the draft? Not me. Build the talent up with can't misses. Sick and tired of poop drafts. No likely hood of playoffs for us this year. Bring in Randy Moss 2.0 in MHJ. I KNOW Zappe can hit a wide open receiver! Remember, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant and Brady, well you know the story...Remember, high talent, can't miss picks in the first and second round! Sure would be nice to get a second round tackle...

He’s had enough time to figure it out. That ship has sailed imo.
Plenty of receivers have taken longer to develop. I wish he had flashed anything to keep us interested but I'd say one more camp is easily worth it.

Why? We are in rebuild mode? Are you sold on the 3rd qb in the draft? Not me. Build the talent up with can't misses. Sick and tired of poop drafts. No likely hood of playoffs for us this year. Bring in Randy Moss 2.0 in MHJ. I KNOW Zappe can hit a wide open receiver! Remember, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant and Brady, well you know the story...Remember, high talent, can't miss picks in the first and second round! Sure would be nice to get a second round tackle...
I totally agree. Just that reading the tea leaves from all the moves so far it seems most likely they’ll go QB at #3. I’d love it to be MHJ followed by a trade up to nab their developmental QB choice. I think that’s got lots more value than going QB at #3 and a WR later.

I totally agree. Just that reading the tea leaves from all the moves so far it seems most likely they’ll go QB at #3. I’d love it to be MHJ followed by a trade up to nab their developmental QB choice. I think that’s got lots more value than going QB at #3 and a WR later.
Off subject, please forgive me. Bourne needs time to get open. He does not have F.U. speed. You know N6249c I would not be mad, I would be a little disappointed but JC Latham, Joe Alt tackle at 3 would be a cornerstone to give an average qb time in the pocket which also equals more passes completed ++++ run game.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back