PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bourne: Locker room was kind of a toxic place the last 2 years

I
You never watched Edelman and Welker, did you?

You're comparing Welker and Edelman to Bourne now?

BTW Edelman was known for sure hands until the end of his career. You do realize dropped passes are a common trait of receivers who are done.

Great post.

That's the reason for the dysfunction, which contributed, among other factors, to the loses that culminated in the worse season since 1992.

There's a reason for only 4 HCs in the entire 100+ years of NFL history having coached into their early 70s. There are four (4) generations separating Boomer I (Bill) from Gen Z (young players). The vast majority of coaches (81%) are now Millennials or Gen X. You guys refuse to acknowledge the reality of the generational gap despite both history and recent trends. This has nothing to do with Bill's intelligence or cognitive capacity but rather with relatability or connection with the younger players.
When I hear or read words like "Boomer", "Gen Z", "Millennials", "relatability" "connection" is when I know conversation has moved to another level. Which has nothing to do with real things in the real world.

Last edited:
When I hear or read words like "Boomer", "Gen Z", "Millennials", "relatability" "connection" is when I know conversation has moved to another level. Which has nothing to do with real things in the real world.
Generation gaps are a real thing. To deny that is not living in the real world. There was a big technological leap (internet, smart phones) that happened between my generation (X) and the Millennials and Zoomers. My generation lived pretty much like the Boomers before us (as much as we said they "didn't get us, man!"). The internet was in its infancy and you could only access it on a family computer, if that. The last two generations grew up with screens everywhere, podcasts, YouTube, etc, etc. (Hell, I remember when my family got a VCR and cordless phone and how big of a deal that was at the time). That's a significant change to how we all live our lives. I can't imagine growing up in that type of environment. I have trouble relating to the younger generations. I can't imagine a 72 year old man having a better time of it. Especially one who jokes about "MyFace" and has trouble setting the clock in his car. The younger generations of players want to "build their brand". They want to have a podcast. They was to get their names out there even more so that they already are. They also want to know why they're doing something instead of just doing whatever their told. They want input into whatever they're doing. A guy like BB isn't going to get that.

Rightly or wrongly, Zoomers live in a different world than Boomers, X'ers and even some of the older Millennials and that makes the generation gap even wider.

Generation gaps are a real thing. To deny that is not living in the real world. There was a big technological leap (internet, smart phones) that happened between my generation (X) and the Millennials and Zoomers. My generation lived pretty much like the Boomers before us (as much as we said they "didn't get us, man!"). The internet was in its infancy and you could only access it on a family computer, if that. The last two generations grew up with screens everywhere, podcasts, YouTube, etc, etc. (Hell, I remember when my family got a VCR and cordless phone and how big of a deal that was at the time). That's a significant change to how we all live our lives. I can't imagine growing up in that type of environment. I have trouble relating to the younger generations. I can't imagine a 72 year old man having a better time of it. Especially one who jokes about "MyFace" and has trouble setting the clock in his car. The younger generations of players want to "build their brand". They want to have a podcast. They was to get their names out there even more so that they already are. They also want to know why they're doing something instead of just doing whatever their told. They want input into whatever they're doing. A guy like BB isn't going to get that.

Rightly or wrongly, Zoomers live in a different world than Boomers, X'ers and even some of the older Millennials and that makes the generation gap even wider.
Look, I do not deny generational gaps, even if I do not even know what that labels stand for. Or tech change. The point is that this has nothing to do, IMO, with what happened to the New England Patriots organization in the last 10 years. Or, if you will, it weights for 3% on what caused the present miserable state of the franchise. I still believe that gen gaps or not, tech change or not, if in a hierarchical organization everyone wants to promote his personal brand, it is a recepie for failure. There are, how can I say, foundational or structural behaviour models you need to apply and comply to to build a functional organization that make age or thech no more than a 5th order problem.

Look, I do not deny generational gaps, even if I do not even know what that labels stand for. Or tech change. The point is that this has nothing to do, IMO, with what happened to the New England Patriots organization in the last 10 years. Or, if you will, it weights for 3% on what caused the present miserable state of the franchise. I still believe that gen gaps or not, tech change or not, if in a hierarchical organization everyone wants to promote his personal brand, it is a recepie for failure. There are, how can I say, foundational or structural behaviour models you need to apply and comply to to build a functional organization that make age or thech no more than a 5th order problem.
Here's how it breaks down:

The Baby Boomer Generation – born 1946-1964
Generation X – born 1965-1980
Millennials – born 1981-1996
Generation Z – born 1996-2012
Gen Alpha – born 2013 – 2025

I get it every year that gap widens but the counterpoint to most of these asinine arguments is that 5 or 6 years ago they were able to win Superbowls despite it. Maybe 5 years was enough to make it so it hit a saturation point or something but I just find it to be a talking point that sounds good but really didn't mean much.

I mean I'm pretty sure Gonzalez wasn't worried about it.

The real issues were letting Brady walk. Signing Cam instead of something else. Drafting Mac. And letting the OL fall apart/not replacing Scar. The overall brain drain in the front office and coaching staff. Not finding a true number 1 in either the WR and TE rooms. And of course Matty P. I might have missed something but there are plenty of real things to debate.

I get it every year that gap widens but the counterpoint to most of these asinine arguments is that 5 or 6 years ago they were able to win Superbowls despite it. Maybe 5 years was enough to make it so it hit a saturation point or something but I just find it to be a talking point that sounds good but really didn't mean much.

The real issues were letting Brady walk. Signing Cam instead of something else. Drafting Mac. And letting the OL fall apart/not replacing Scar. The overall brain drain in the front office and coaching staff. Not finding a true number 1 in either the WR and TE rooms. And of course Matty P. I might have missed something but there are plenty of real things to debate.
Exactly what I meant. Thanks.

How do you know? I know everyone's ga-ga over the kid but the reality is he played in four games. He looked good but we still no next to nothing about how he's going to do long term. He hasn't played a full season. We don't know if he's going to be durable. Or if he's going hit a rookie wall (next year is still going to be an extension of his rookie year since he played a quarter of a season last year).

But you don't know if there was an age gap thing with him and BB. No one does.

It's real all right. Jules has talked about it for years. So have Gronk, Law, Tedy, and Mayo among many ex-Pats. All these guys are Gen X (Jules/Gronk are Millennials) and they've noticed the change with the younger players. There's a reason the entire league is going for younger coaches.

This from The Athletic:

"Three primary reasons were echoed by numerous league sources: Belichick’s mishandling of the Patriots’ quarterback situation in recent years, his desire to maintain total control of football operations and a growing concern over the coach’s ability to relate to this generation of players."

Boomers were divided into I and II because it was such a large group. Bill is in the older Boomer I generation (>69).

≈=================================
The reason this wasn't noticed during the 2018 SB (Bill was 66), the Gen Zs were just coming in; but more importantly, Brady was in the lockerroom still taking hits from Bill in front of everyone. Once Tom walked out the door, it was over.

How do you know? I know everyone's ga-ga over the kid but the reality is he played in four games. He looked good but we still no next to nothing about how he's going to do long term. He hasn't played a full season. We don't know if he's going to be durable. Or if he's going hit a rookie wall (next year is still going to be an extension of his rookie year since he played a quarter of a season last year).

But you don't know if there was an age gap thing with him and BB. No one does.
You don't hit the ground running the way he did if you've shut out your coach because you think he's old. And of course he's still got a lot to prove. I'm pretty sure he's going to be a beast.

The reason this wasn't noticed during the 2018 SB (Bill was 66), the Gen Zs were just coming in
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back