PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bourne: Locker room was kind of a toxic place the last 2 years

This. Now that Bill is gone, all these players feel like a weight has been lifted from their shoulders and they can be candid. It's not just Bourne, Jonathan Jones and Judon just spoke up in the last day. We know Mac, Jack, Wynn, Trent, and others have spoken up the last few years. It's been a **** show since Slater made those cryptic comments about the lockerroom.

Bill's hard ass, old school way of running things was no longer working. Especially when he didn't have an alpha like Tom taking his brutal hits in front of the guys, to keep them compliant.

By all accounts, the players are excited and supportive of Mayo. Mayo has their pulse and will be able to get them to perform w/o having to resort to archaic methods. That's not to say he won't chew their ass off when warranted. I have no problem w/ players speaking up, having a personality in public instead of being robotic. These guys are men with families doing a job no different than any of us. They still need to "do their jobs" but the "no days off" ******** is over.
What are you going to say the first time Mayo says something like that's how BB did it. I mean at the end of the day Bill taught him everything he knows about football.

What are you going to say the first time Mayo says something like that's how BB did it. I mean at the end of the day Bill taught him everything he knows about football.
Mayo and Bill are night and day apart in their personalities and approach to management. Mayo will retain the strong aspects of what he learned from Bill (Xs & Os) and discard what no longer works. Mayo's wicked smaht!

Mayo and Bill are night and day apart in their personalities and approach to management. Mayo will retain the strong aspects of what he learned from Bill (Xs & Os) and discard what no longer works. Mayo's wicked smaht!
But are you going to be able to give BB credit when one of his prodigies is successful?

But are you going to be able to give BB credit when one of his prodigies is successful?
Can’t speak for venecol but for me personally I don’t give him credit if Mayo succeeds, nor do I think it’s a bad reflection on Bill that all of his disciples seem to fall on their face.

Bill’s way of coaching worked strictly because it’s Bill. The guy is a brilliant football mind with insane work ethic and a track record of success, regardless of whether Brady was around for most of it.

My assumption is that Mayo learned a lot football-wise from Bill but won’t be trying replicate the hard ass, no days off persona that the Matt Patricia’s of the world attempted elsewhere.

Last edited:
Can’t speak for venecol but for me personally I don’t give him credit if Mayo succeeds, nor do I think it’s a bad reflection on Bill that all of his disciples seem to fall on their face.

Bill’s way of coaching worked strictly because it’s Bill. The guy is a brilliant football mind with insane work ethic and a track record of success, regardless of whether Brady was around for most of it.

My assumption is that Mayo learned a lot football-wise from Bill but won’t be trying replicate the hard ass, no days off persona that the Matt Patricia’s of the world attempted elsewhere.
Fair enough. And I actually sort of agree with it. Don't tell venecol I'm just laying traps.

So you’ve got nothing to say that counters the fact that professional sports players speak out when things aren’t going well. Gotcha, thanks.
The Giants players had an open discussion with Tom Coughlin in 2007 to help him understand the players more. Coughlin did it and made changes that led the Giants to 2 SB wins against Bill's sullen squad.

But I loved it so much I can’t wait to resign there… $$$$$

Old school management w/ young players ---> unmotivated players ----> made many mistakes -----> poor performance ----> led to loses -------> created divisions -------> turned to dysfunctional lockerroom.
So the reason the franchise is burn to ashes is BB old school management. WOW.

The Giants players had an open discussion with Tom Coughlin in 2007 to help him understand the players more. Coughlin did it and made changes that led the Giants to 2 SB wins against Bill's sullen squad.
They were so sullen they only lost 5 games combined in those 2 seasons. And they were so sullen they went on to win 3 SBs.

Bourne flip flopping again. Says it was Bill’s time to go, but glad someone is still in the building that understands him?

Then goes on to say Alex Van Pelt is a great fit, yet has no idea who he is.

Bourne flip flopping again. Says it was Bill’s time to go, but glad someone is still in the building that understands him?

Then goes on to say Alex Van Pelt is a great fit, yet has no idea who he is.
I don’t understand this post.

1. Something needed to change, aka Bill leaving.

2. Mayo is more understanding of the players.

3. We’ll see how Van Pelt does. Not sure yet but a change is welcome.

That’s essentially what Bourne was saying, which makes sense.

So the reason the franchise is burn to ashes is BB old school management. WOW.
That's the reason for the dysfunction, which contributed, among other factors, to the loses that culminated in the worse season since 1992.

There's a reason for only 4 HCs in the entire 100+ years of NFL history having coached into their early 70s. There are four (4) generations separating Boomer I (Bill) from Gen Z (young players). The vast majority of coaches (81%) are now Millennials or Gen X. You guys refuse to acknowledge the reality of the generational gap despite both history and recent trends. This has nothing to do with Bill's intelligence or cognitive capacity but rather with relatability or connection with the younger players.

That's the reason for the dysfunction, which contributed, among other factors, to the loses that culminated in the worse season since 1992.

There's a reason for only 4 HCs in the entire 100+ years of NFL history having coached into their early 70s. There are four (4) generations separating Boomer I (Bill) from Gen Z (young players). The vast majority of coaches (81%) are now Millennials or Gen X. You guys refuse to acknowledge the reality of the generational gap despite both history and recent trends. This has nothing to do with Bill's intelligence or cognitive capacity but rather with relatability or connection with the younger players.
And you compound that with BB's overall demeanor. Even Slater said he was afraid to talk to him back when he joined the team.

Younger people are dumb and expect everything instantly and easily. I think in any sport the teams that manage to find the right people with the right work ethic are only going to find it easier to accomplish their goals than in the past.

Old school management w/ young players ---> unmotivated players ----> made many mistakes -----> poor performance ----> led to loses -------> created divisions -------> turned to dysfunctional lockerroom.
You forgot poorly Coached BB lost his fast ball it happens.

Yeah and Mayo will make us a Contendah!!

Bourne has averaged 487 yards and 3 TD's per season over 7 years. He also fumbles a lot for a guy who only catches 30 something passes. And in SF he led the league in drop percentage to targets. Plus Bourne will be 29 next season. And he's coming off an ACL.

Why in the world would he be an important piece to a complete rebuild of the offense? A prove it to me deal ok, but he'll get a better deal with a contender.
ROFLMAO. Bourne did not lead the league in drop percentage when he was with San Fran. A quick look at Pro-Football-Reference shows that Diontae Johnson had a 9.0 drop %. Evan Engram had a 10.1% Drop Percentage. Mecole Hardman had a 12.9% Drop Percentage. Stop with the BS that easily checked and debunked.

1707594654884.png

It's amazing how you're so obtuse that you look at his production as being poor when you consider the s**t offense and S**t QBs he's had to deal with. You completely ignore the actual on field contributions. You blame Bourne for Matt Patricia over-promising BB that he (Patricia) could run the Shanahan offense.

Bourne: 127 receptions on 173 targets. That's a 73.4% reception percentage. THAT should tell you that he wasn't being used enough in the offense. He had 4 drops in the year that the entire offense sucked. He had 1 drop in 2023. Bourne was on pace to have 116 targets in 2023 before his injury.. Do you understand that 50% of his yardage last year was from YAC?

I posted the link on this site twice a few years back, but can not find it. Looking at these numbers you are correct it doesn't look like league leader.

Still Bourne drops the ball a lot.

You never watched Edelman and Welker, did you?

I can post more.

So, because numerous places post articles on the SAME COMMENT, you think that is "being all over the news"?

WOW, Francis.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back