PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Did We Expect Better Than 50% In The 3 years After Brady?

See, this is ridiculous, he's not average, you don't win 6 super bowls and go to 9 because you're average, Tom had a ton to do with it, but he didn't create the whole roster. Disrespectful of what Bill has done. This is too far in the other direction; the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
The record without Brady is what it is at this point. Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season.

Dont Know Shrug GIF

Well Pete is a year older than Bill and he's basically rebuilt the Seahawks after the Legion of Boom era and now post Russel Wilson. He actually got a big return for his star QB and made the playoffs last year with a journeyman QB and is currently sitting at 5-2 and leading the division. Right now Seattle's future looks much brighter than ours for whoever the next coach is at either franchise.
I don't care for the Seahawks but their games are entertaining.

During that time, Bill drafted 8 Pro Bowl players and 2 eventual HOF's (Seymour already there, Brady).

0 in the last 10 years. It's amazing people can't see the correlation.
I think Bill did draft Seymour in 2001 if I recall. But I agree with your overall statement. Bill was a great roster builder back then and seemed to react when the roster started to get thin. When it became clear in 2006 that letting Givens walk and trading Branch was a detriment to the offense he went all out retooling in 2007. Traded a second for Welker (which was very controversial at the time), traded a bag of balls for Randy Moss, and signed Dante Stallworth. Now when the roster gets thin he doubles down on guys like Devante Parker and misevaluates a guy he already has in Meyers and pays a broken down Juju. Bill just can no longer evaluate talent in 2023 the way he could in 2003.

I definitely think Bill had a lot to do with the super bowl wins. My thing is I believe Brady would have won multiple super bowls without Bill whereas I don’t think Bill ever would have won a Super Bowl without Brady.
IMO without Brady BB probably gets fired within a couple years of his hire and as a 2 time failed head coach it's not likely he would get another HC job. Probably goes back to being a DC somewhere. I think he could win another ring that way depending on where he is. I think BB would be a great choice for DC for the Patriots today but he wouldn't agree to that.

Brady can win with any decent HC and in fact he did. Was also a blown defensive playcall away from a great shot at a second ring.

IMO without Brady BB probably gets fired within a couple years of his hire and as a 2 time failed head coach it's not likely he would get another HC job. Probably goes back to being a DC somewhere. I think he could win another ring that way depending on where he is. I think BB would be a terrific choice for DC for the Patriots today but he wouldn't agree to that.

Brady can win with any decent HC and in fact he did. Was also a blown defensive playcall away from a great shot at a second ring.
I agree. A lot of head coaches never get a third shot at a job. I have no doubt Bill would have had a long successful career as a DC but it was pretty clear Bledsoe wasn't a fit for what Bill wanted to do as he went 5-11 in 2000 and started 0-2 in 20001 with Drew starting.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Not true. It always was a temporary plan.
Lol the plan was "Let a defensive coordinator/failed head coach be the offensive coordinator and a special teams/failed head coach be the quarterbacks coach for your second year quarterback so I don't make my friend in Alabama mad if I try and take the guy I actually want. Then when the guy I want becomes available I will bring him in to be the OC so my third year quarterback will have three offensive coordinators in his first three years."

Chess > checkers

1699029636270.gif

I have no problem admitting Bill was a big part of the early dynasty days but Brady was generally a top 5 QB from 2002-2006 so he wasn't some Trent Dilfer type getting dragged along by a great defense either. The roster building on those early 2000's teams was Bill's sweet spot. That was back when the game was played in a way that aligned with the way Bill liked to build a team. The problem is Bill still likes to build a team like that when it is almost a different sport at this point.
Some do seem to have a problem saying that. Any coach who wins multiple super bowls needs to have a good QB that fits the system they're running. How about the great QBs with one or none super bowls, you think a great coach might have got them one or two or three?

Brady left 4 years ago. Pats have made the playoffs once and were trounced in the WC by 30 points.
I do get it.

The fans of the patriots are very special. We deserve better than 50% and being in the playoffs in the 3 years after Brady is gone. Our organization is sooo good that we should win playoff games and contend for the SB without a QB.

We took Brady out of the equation and remained a playoff contender. PERSONALLY, I don't expect more until we get a top 10 QB. IMO, it not reasonable to EXPECT to win playoff games without a top 10 QB, certainly not without a top 15 QB.

Lol the plan was "Let a defensive coordinator/failed head coach be the offensive coordinator and a special teams/failed head coach be the quarterbacks coach for your second year quarterback so I don't make my friend in Alabama mad if I try and take the guy I actually want. Then when the guy I want becomes available I will bring him in to be the OC so my third year quarterback will have three offensive coordinators in his first three years."

Chess > checkers
The plan was the OC left hue can we get through this season. The plan was I have coaches I trust and I think they can hold down the fort.
You have never offered a solution that would have been better.

The plan was the OC left hue can we get through this season. The plan was I have coaches I trust and I think they can hold down the fort.
You have never offered a solution that would have been better.
Do what's best for the team and poach BOB from Alabama a year early. Piss off your golfing buddy? Oh well. Bring back Chad O'Shea.

Bill realistically couldn't have made a worse choice than he did. Once again it displayed a lack of foresight. Every year Josh interviewed for head coaching positions and Bill decided to prep for it.

I don't know why I am even responding to you. You're going to blindly defend his actions regardless. If you're defending the Patricia OC experiment then you're a lost cause.

Do what's best for the team and poach BOB from Alabama a year early. Piss off your golfing buddy? Oh well. Bring back Chad O'Shea.

Bill realistically couldn't have made a worse choice than he did. Once again it displayed a lack of foresight. Every year Josh interviewed for head coaching positions and Bill decided to prep for it.

I don't know why I am even responding to you. You're going to blindly defend his actions regardless. If you're defending the Patricia OC experiment then you're a lost cause.
So your answer is force someone to dishonor their agreement and if they wont, that’s your fault. Genius stuff right there.

Chas O’Shea, lol. Congrats you know a name. Too bad that guy isn’t competent.

There surely could have been worse options. A worse option would have been to make a permanent hire of the wrong guy.

Im not defending anything I am explaining the reality of the situation.
You still haven’t offered a better solution.

It would be perfectly fine with me if you don’t respond to me at all.

I think Bill did draft Seymour in 2001 if I recall. But I agree with your overall statement. Bill was a great roster builder back then and seemed to react when the roster started to get thin. When it became clear in 2006 that letting Givens walk and trading Branch was a detriment to the offense he went all out retooling in 2007. Traded a second for Welker (which was very controversial at the time), traded a bag of balls for Randy Moss, and signed Dante Stallworth. Now when the roster gets thin he doubles down on guys like Devante Parker and misevaluates a guy he already has in Meyers and pays a broken down Juju. Bill just can no longer evaluate talent in 2023 the way he could in 2003.
This was Bill's biggest weakness and still is. Aside from DL, RB where he had Warren waiting to take over for Hamilton and Wilfork take over for Traylor, Bill has been reactionary at every other position. He had built the best 3-4 DL in the league, yet couldn't build around it. This was just one of the many reasons for the 10 year drought.
IMO without Brady BB probably gets fired within a couple years of his hire and as a 2 time failed head coach it's not likely he would get another HC job. Probably goes back to being a DC somewhere. I think he could win another ring that way depending on where he is. I think BB would be a great choice for DC for the Patriots today but he wouldn't agree to that.

Bill was a dead man walking and probably would've been canned sometime during the 2002 season had there been no stability at QB. The defense wasn't even that good in 2001 which posters here overrate. The defense was terrible in 2002. In fact, assistant coaches started putting their houses up for sale after the 0-2 start in 2001 with Bledsoe out.

Last edited:
So your answer is force someone to dishonor their agreement and if they wont, that’s your fault. Genius stuff right there.

Chas O’Shea, lol. Congrats you know a name. Too bad that guy isn’t competent.

There surely could have been worse options. A worse option would have been to make a permanent hire of the wrong guy.

Im not defending anything I am explaining the reality of the situation.
You still haven’t offered a better solution.

It would be perfectly fine with me if you don’t respond to me at all.
Lol @ "dishonoring an agreement" from a guy vehemently defending a man who once resigned on a napkin.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back