PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We had the 30th best record in 2023. What should we expect for 2024?

If we trot out Mac Jones or Zappe as our bridge QB, lose Onwenu and don’t make any progress on the offensive line then 4 wins is back on the table.
I don't see why they'd win a single game under those circumstances.

If we spend the most guaranteed money in FAcy like in '21, 9 wins. Spend, spend, spend.
That depends on how much they spend and who they spend it on. The last time was a failure.

I have the same expectations as last year. The actual number of wins is less important than jelling as a team and building momentum at the end of the season. Things feel so bad now because there was no progress on offense and the team proved that both QB's are not starters in the NFL. A four win season would feel pretty good if the rookie QB sat out the first 10 games and played well the last few games.

16th.

Not showing off and not slacking either.

That depends on how much they spend and who they spend it on. The last time was a failure.
They went from a non-playoff team to a playoff team. We added some good players in Judon and Henry and some players who didn't work out. I wouldn't define it as failure as much as a short-term fix that wasn't followed up with good drafts to turn it into a long-term fix.

They are going to be better.

It pains me to say, as a former IBWT guy, but he really fouled up the offense. I really think they youth movement is going to do some things that will make folks very happy. Talent, skill and athleticism will win out, especially in the early rounds, where Bill needed his blue collar guys instead of drafting some kid with an NIL deal and money in the bank. As a former 1st rounder himself, Mayo is going to have a much different perspective on those guys than Bill did. I am not saying they will draft a bunch of pain in the azz punks, but they won't be so quick to shy away from them.

It's an exciting time, from my seat anyway. I am very eager to see what free agency and the draft bring.
Animated GIF

I have the same expectations as last year. The actual number of wins is less important than jelling as a team and building momentum at the end of the season. Things feel so bad now because there was no progress on offense and the team proved that both QB's are not starters in the NFL. A four win season would feel pretty good if the rookie QB sat out the first 10 games and played well the last few games.
I hope not, but 2024 could be the year of the Tankhead from the start.

It pains me to say, as a former IBWT guy, but he really fouled up the offense. I really think they youth movement is going to do some things that will make folks very happy. Talent, skill and athleticism will win out, especially in the early rounds, where Bill needed his blue collar guys instead of drafting some kid with an NIL deal and money in the bank. As a former 1st rounder himself, Mayo is going to have a much different perspective on those guys than Bill did. I am not saying they will draft a bunch of pain in the azz punks, but they won't be so quick to shy away from them.

It's an exciting time, from my seat anyway. I am very eager to see what free agency and the draft bring.
Animated GIF

Depends.
We can always have a Texans like season if we find our guy at QB.
I just wanna see improvement on offense.

Completely up in the air. Play your cards right in fa/draft and we can compete for a playoff spot. Miss on your picks / signings and we are around the same place.

The resources are there if we are able to capitalize

2-4 wins and another top 3 pick.

I don't see why they'd win a single game under those circumstances.
Same reason we somehow won games last season: great defense

Animated GIF
Perhaps, Steve. But remember Bill also drafted Jack Jones, Aaron Hernandez and other guys with questionable character throughout the years. So he was also willing to go after talent despite red flags.

Not criticizing him about it though, sometimes it’s worth trying. I wasn’t complaining when AH looked awesome or Jack Jones looked like our future lockdown CB.

Same reason we somehow won games last season: great defense

Perhaps, Steve. But remember Bill also drafted Jack Jones, Aaron Hernandez and other guys with questionable character throughout the years. So he was also willing to go after talent despite red flags.

Not criticizing him about it though, sometimes it’s worth trying. I wasn’t complaining when AH looked awesome or Jack Jones looked like our future lockdown CB.
Both those guys were 4th rounders with higher round talent. Not hard to imagine a thought process where the player's ego is checked because of the drop, and the need to work harder to earn their spot, which is right in Bill's wheelhouse. If they flame out because of character issues, meh, 4th rounder, so what?

I said early in this past season that 2023-4 should be about the year following. Given the dismal state of the roster, and the prospect ofat best a two-year rebuild, I expect to say that next year should likewise be all about the year following. I'll root for the team in each game, but stepping back on the Monday after any loss, I will feel at least as much gratitude as disappointment. They'll win about 6 games or so, I imagine. Whoopydef'ndoo.

yup, going to the playoffs, and greatly improving the Defense is just not enough. ???
=======
I would be most happy with 2021 results in 2024.

This time we will be acquiring talent that will be better coached.

Last edited:
Have to see how free agency, possible trades and the draft plays out, but it feels like it will be a season of chasing the moral victory most weeks. Hopefully they can just look better in week 15 vs. week 2, and not be a random bag of parts most weeks like last season. Hope to just see some level of consistent progression and direction in place.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back