PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount has punt returns covered....if NE can spare a vet minimum deal

I hate the idea of Blount returning pints. He is fine as a KR though.

Re: Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

Given that we know the specifics of what was offered, we also you know you're talking straight out your hind parts.

You should try looking at things without blue tinted glasses.

I hope Edelman signs with another team....and the media hammers the Kraft's.

It's just another year with them letting Brady's most reliable target leave.

Of course, best is not synonymous with most productive, and, really, having JA as your most productive offensive player is an indictment in and of itself.

Edelman should not have been our best player but that outcome was our own doings when we let Welker walk out the door and then expected to rebuild the receiving core through the draft with absolutely bridging of the gap. They could have handled things differently, they could drafted TY Hilton in 2012 and developed a long-term replacement, and they could have drafted an X-WR in 2012 instead of Tavon Wilson and developed him behind Lloyd so we did not have to throw a rookie like Dobson to the fire right off the bat.

Belichick is an amazing coach, likely the GOAT but he did not plan the wide receiver situation out well at all, he did not get ahead of it, he should have, he did with Ridley and Vereen in 2011 to replace Green-Ellis and Woodhead, that was beautifully planned out, the receivers however the complete opposite.

It does not matter; it should not even get to that point, in the past 3 season the Patriots have signed –

- Chad Johnson – 3 years/$11.95 million
- Brandon Lloyd – 3 years/$12 million
- Danny Amendola – 5 years/$28.5 million

While letting Wes Welker and now potentially Julian Edelman walks out the door. I would not mind if the team was just tight with their money and that is what caused it but they are not tight with the money they are being idiotic with it, blowing it on players that underwhelm and drawing a hard line with players that do produce.

They gave Amendola a 5-year deal worth almost $30 million; did they really think that Edelman and his agent were going to take a 3-year deal? That is just being stupid, end of story.

I love the Patriots but they make many mistakes in their personnel decisions, and most are covered up by the greatness of Tom Brady but there is a reason that even with the GOAT QB we have not been able to win a SB for a decade.

Before the dogs attack and defend Belichick and Kraft’s honor let me just say I have every right to be disappointed in this team, if Edelman walks it is back to back season where we let our most productive offensive player (other than Brady) walk out the door.

So, do you have links to this time last year when you were screaming that we shouldn't sign Amendola because we could just keep Edelman?

If not, you're playing Monday Morning Gm'ing.

Fine, I'll play along.

3 yrs, 20 mill. That's what I'd give him. Just under 7 a year.

Team apparently offered 3/14 up to 21.

I doubt he gets more than 5.5 per year. NE made an offer "apparently" that protects them.

Can't see him getting 7 per without incentives anywhere. If he does. Good for him.

I don't understand this need to re sign Edelman. Love the guy but his skillset is redundant with Amendola here. I'd much rather make an attempt to acquire a legitimate outside receiver.

The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

What they did repeatedly was go outside the org and sign a player for a considerable amount of money. Johnson, Lloyd, and Amendola, if they resigned Edelman that is very different, he has proven successful in the system.

the only reason edelman was as productive as he was is due to the fact that he was targeted 151 times

comparing him to similar players, his efficiency sucked.......fewest first downs, lowest ypc, almost fewest TD's, fewest 20 yard catches.

which was pretty similar to the wes welker years.......

the bottom line is that it seems replicating the feat does not appear to be as hard as it seems. amendola is just as inefficient as the previous 2.

I think josh boyce is here to take the notion of this kind of WR to the next level.

I doubt he gets more than 5.5 per year. NE made an offer "apparently" that protects them.

Can't see him getting 7 per without incentives anywhere. If he does. Good for him.

Agreed. $7m per year without incentives for a player who's not only had just one good year, but only one year where he's actually had an production of any kind at all (due mainly to health reasons), is asking for trouble.

So, do you have links to this time last year when you were screaming that we shouldn't sign Amendola because we could just keep Edelman?

If not, you're playing Monday Morning Gm'ing.

I was never for signing Amendola, you can review my post record if you would like. I do not believe in signing players from other orgs to second contracts when their former team had plenty of cap space and a huge need and did not retain them.

Re: Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

You should try looking at things without blue tinted glasses.

I hope Edelman signs with another team....and the media hammers the Kraft's.

It's just another year with them letting Brady's most reliable target leave.

So...you admit that you were lying, then.

Why would the media hammer the Krafts when the team offered him a fair market contract?

Personally, I hope he re-signs with the Patriots and then we don't hear from you for another six months until something else bad happens to the team.

Edelman was an absolute stud last year. In an offense without Gronkowski and Hernandez, with a bunch of rookies who were i njured much of the time, in an offense with a WR with a groin problem,he still somehow found openings, made great catches.

If people think he can be easily replaced, you'll have to explain to me why the offense totally stalled in prior years when Brady had Welker out there, and Hernandez.

Edelman is definitely not worth $7m a year, but I don't know what the incentives are. He is worth $5m a year. And you're not going to find better than him for $5m. The thing is, if reports are true that he only got $5-7 guaranteed over 3 years, then I can see why he passed.

He'll be looking for at least $10m guaranteed over 3 years.

Them not getting bang for their buck is putting it lightly. They're like Al Davis-esque in the GM department. Lowballing Mankins and then having to sign him to that bloated contract. Letting James Sanders go and going with Patrick Dung (who gave up the Manningham catch) and Sergio Brown. Signing stiffs like Adalius Thomas, Shawn Springs, Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth. Overpaying for Kyle "burnt toast" Arrington. Handing out massive contracts to a scumbag criminal and a dope who can't stay on the field (despite the fact that he missed half the season, he STILL couldn't make it to the playoffs).

They have the best coach who puts his players in position to win, and the best QB who doesn't make many mistakes. If they were even a little better at managing the roster, they win the 2011 SB at least (that one will sit with me forever, everything went right for them, the pathetic regular season schedule, the joke playoff opponents, and they still didn't get it done).

Wait, so letting James Sanders walk is considered a mistake now? For his entire tenure with the Pats, posters like you were hammering the team for *not* cutting him.

I get that this is your schtick and all, but by all means go and count the number of teams who haven't made more mistakes over the past ~8 years (I assume that's the cutoff since you're including Adalius).

No, the Pats don't get everything right. Nobody does. Yes, they've had some really notable missteps in FA. But so has pretty much everyone else. I don't take issue with the moves that hindsight has said are wrong. I take issue only with the few moves that we could reasonably have known were wrong at the time, and there are far fewer of those. Kyle Arrington's contract was a huge and obvious mistake, for example. But most of what you've listed are mistakes only in hindsight.

Agreed. Definitely lowballed on the guaranteed money if figures are to be believed.

Agreed. If he gets that offer he'd be a fool not to take it, but I can't imagine who's going to make that offer. If we're going to pay someone that kind of money, I'd rather it be Golden Tate, and even then I think it would be an overpay.

I'm already moving on to draft considerations, given Edelman's likely gone and Dobson's broken foot.

In the first round, you have these guys to choose from if they are there:

WR Marquise Lee
Jordan Matthews
Odell Beckham
Brandin Cooks

2nd round
Davante Adams
Donte Moncrief
Kelvin Benjamin
Allen Robinson
Martavis Bryant

I was never for signing Amendola, you can review my post record if you would like. I do not believe in signing players from other orgs to second contracts when their former team had plenty of cap space and a huge need and did not retain them.

Sounds kinda like Wes Welker and he was a pretty good player if I recall correctly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back