PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ware is now free......NE preparing a low ball offer?

I'm already moving on to draft considerations, given Edelman's likely gone and Dobson's broken foot.

In the first round, you have these guys to choose from if they are there:

WR Marquise Lee
Jordan Matthews
Odell Beckham
Brandin Cooks

2nd round
Davante Adams
Donte Moncrief
Kelvin Benjamin
Allen Robinson
Martavis Bryant

Would be foolish go to the draft route, IMO. Gotta get it done in FA, one way or another.

Sounds kinda like Wes Welker and he was a pretty good player if I recall correctly....

The Dolphins traded Welker they received a second round pick and a seventh round pick in return. That is very, very different from letting some walk out the door.

oh my god no way

He had better have the best season of his career in 2014, otherwise the criticism he received this year will sound like cheering fans.

Although I disagree with them letting it get to this point they did let Vollmer test the market last year and it worked out for them so maybe this will too.

I'm already moving on to draft considerations, given Edelman's likely gone and Dobson's broken foot.

In the first round, you have these guys to choose from if they are there:

WR Marquise Lee
Jordan Matthews
Odell Beckham
Brandin Cooks

2nd round
Davante Adams
Donte Moncrief
Kelvin Benjamin
Allen Robinson
Martavis Bryant

One of my all time favourite Ducks Josh Huff, in the 5th or 6th round.

and looking at some of the money that OT's are getting today its good Vollmer resigned last year.

I was never for signing Amendola, you can review my post record if you would like. I do not believe in signing players from other orgs to second contracts when their former team had plenty of cap space and a huge need and did not retain them.

Truth in what you say.

And as much as I wanted them to keep Welker.. the Patriots had very valid reasons to also pursue Amendola.. reasons other than to spite Welker or simply to undermine his leverage in contract negotiations.

Since we are all playing GM here.. what I wanted to do was keep both (Welker/Amendola/Edleman could spell each other).

I don't understand this need to re sign Edelman. Love the guy but his skillset is redundant with Amendola here. I'd much rather make an attempt to acquire a legitimate outside receiver.

In theory you're correct. Problem is either:

A) Amendola is out with an injury
or
B) Amendola is not playing well because he is injured.

Amendola had a great first game against the bills. Amendola being Amendola naturally get injured that game then misses the next 3 games. He did play 12 games this season (which is great by his standard) but overall he was relatively unproductive the rest of the season playing with constant injures and only making 54 catches.

Re: Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

The value and cost of a player is subject to supply and demand. You can assert that if the cap doubled that players should be worth, and get paid, the same in free agency. I would not accept that logic.

The amount of money teams has does not make the player better.
5 mill a year, give or take is one of the top 10 guys on your team, if not higher.
How many teams out there look at Edelman and are ready to pay him as one of their top 10 players?

Would be foolish go to the draft route, IMO. Gotta get it done in FA, one way or another.

Why? They are gonna have to overpay for one in FA: Decker, Nicks or Tate? The other options are guys like Rice and Britt who are risks and might not provide anything...

Truth in what you say.

And as much as I wanted them to keep Welker.. the Patriots had very valid reasons to also pursue Amendola.. reasons other than to spite Welker or simply to undermine his leverage in contract negotiations.

Since we are all playing GM here.. what I wanted to do was keep both (Welker/Amendola/Edleman could spell each other).

Truth be told if a certain thug could have kept his damn gun in his waistband we would not even be having this discussion because he would have been the one running the majority of those routes and getting the majority of the targets.

Put me down for the BLAME Hernandez vote!

The Dolphins traded Welker they received a second round pick and a seventh round pick in return. That is very, very different from letting some walk out the door.

No it isn't. He was tendered at a 2nd round level. That was a huge error on their part. The 7th rounder was thrown in because the league was trying to move away from poison pills.

Why? They are gonna have to overpay for one in FA: Decker, Nicks or Tate? The other options are guys like Rice and Britt who are risks and might not provide anything...

Because it takes rookies 17 years to learn the system. You can say the same about league veterans but at least some of them have gotten it.

Because it takes rookies 17 years to learn the system. You can say the same about league veterans but at least some of them have gotten it.

By that logic, we are better off overpaying for JE

No it isn't. He was tendered at a 2nd round level. That was a huge error on their part. The 7th rounder was thrown in because the league was trying to move away from poison pills.

What are you talking about, they still received a second and seventh for him. So it is extremely different than letting a player walk for nothing.

Because wide receivers are notoriously slow to develop, and hitching your wagon to their lot is not exactly what I'd call a prudent course of action.

Well this is a depressing end to my day. :(

Many of us were furious at this move THEN. It was one of the worst personnel moves in the Belichick era. Of course, that is other than signing players who would later be injured.

Wait, so letting James Sanders walk is considered a mistake now?

Edelman visiting the ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back