PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

#Patriots offered WR Julian Edelman a three-year deal, per source. Would like an answer by the start of free agency. They want to keep him

Re: Edelman offered 3-year deal, Pats waiting for answer

I presume both Edelman and Talib will get "take it or leave it" offers. If they leave it, the Pats will explore alternatives aggressively.

#Patriots offered WR Julian Edelman a three-year deal, per source. Would like an answer by the start of free agency. They want to keep him

Breer and Rappaport both are tweeting on JE.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet

Any news on how much.

Suppose he says "I need a few days to think about it". Then they pull the offer? I would think he'd at least want to see what's out there.

Take the deal JE

We've been here before with Welker.

Suppose he says "I need a few days to think about it". Then they pull the offer? I would think he'd at least want to see what's out there.

Probably...see Wlker, Wes.

They've probably got a 4pm offer to Sanders waiting on JE.

I presume both Edelman and Talib will get "take it or leave it" offers. If they leave it, the Pats will explore alternatives aggressively.

Atleast we made them both offers...I like Talib but I prefer Revis.

If a player leads you on, then you miss out on other opportunities if he has loyalty to the team drafting him keeping him on til he found his groove familiar offense. Them he should accept a deal between 5 to 6 million for that loyalty If he leaves for greener pastures they might end up not being so.
Especially if he's going to a team that doesn't have a solid foundation like Cleveland for instance they change personnel and coaches like some individuals change underwear.
The Patriots need to know what they have and what they need.

I doubt they'd pull the offer right away, but they would likely pursue plan B, and if plan B signs while Edelman is still making up his mind, then the offer gets pulled.

The Welker and Edelman situations are different.

- Welker and the Pats had a contentious relationship. The Pats hated his agent and the feeling seems to be mutual. The Pats have a great relationship with Edelman's agent who also happens to be Brady's agent.

- Welker's expectations for a contract were off. He was expecting $8-9 million a year and the market was saying $6 million a year. Edelman's could be too, but there doesn't be signs of it.

- I think the Pats had Amendola targeted prior to free agency as a Welker replacement. I do not know if they have a Edelman replacement.

- I think Edelman wants to be here more than Wes. I think Wes was upset by the franchise tag and no long term deal and was ready to leave unless the Pats overpaid for him. I think Edelman wants to be here and all things being equal, he would choose to stay with the Pats over any other offer.

I'm praying he does. I just hope we didn't low-ball him.

But I hope we don't overpay, either. IMO, the rumored Andre Roberts deal to Washington (4 years/$16M, $8M guaranteed) sets a baseline for both Edelman and Emanuel Sanders. I don't know if I'd pay more than $5M/year AAV.

I feel the same...I hope they are paying like a up and coming WR and Good Punt Returner Edelman is a dual player.

The Welker and Edelman situations are different.

- Welker and the Pats had a contentious relationship. The Pats hated his agent and the feeling seems to be mutual. The Pats have a great relationship with Edelman's agent who also happens to be Brady's agent.

- Welker's expectations for a contract were off. He was expecting $8-9 million a year and the market was saying $6 million a year. Edelman's could be too, but there doesn't be signs of it.

- I think the Pats had Amendola targeted prior to free agency as a Welker replacement. I do not know if they have a Edelman replacement.

- I think Edelman wants to be here more than Wes. I think Wes was upset by the franchise tag and no long term deal and was ready to leave unless the Pats overpaid for him. I think Edelman wants to be here and all things being equal, he would choose to stay with the Pats over any other offer.

Agreed, this is much different. Wes had issues with BB, contract negotiations in the past and a dollar figure that was steadfast and hard. I'm hoping that this 'quiet' negotiations is a good thing.

Why am i so nervous, this is crazy

The key probably will be how much is guaranteed. If he's OK with the guaranteed amount even if it's overall less than he'd get in free agency, he'd be smart to take it.

The key probably will be how much is guaranteed. If he's OK with the guaranteed amount even if it's overall less than he'd get in free agency, he'd be smart to take it.

I agree with that. Guaranteed money is the key

I doubt they'd pull the offer right away, but they would likely pursue plan B, and if plan B signs while Edelman is still making up his mind, then the offer gets pulled.

If he goes to FA it may not take long.

Patrick Shankhour ‏@CLNS_Patrick 13m

Hearing former #Eagles WR Jason Avant is in Boston today. Possible backup plan if Edelman decides to walk #Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back