PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Will Smith Visiting Patriots April 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really excited.

After Earth was such a disappointment.

Not really excited.

After Earth was such a disappointment.
No kidding. His son couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

2013: Carter and Buchanan.

2014: No One and Buchanan.

I suspect that Smith is an upgrade.

I would agree at the present moment, mg, but it's a bit early just yet.

We could certainly add a passrusher/rotational DE in the draft, see improvement at the DT spot through the same avenue, and/or see a camp or salary cap casualty happen in the summer months as well. All of those are distinct possibilities.

While we may be a long way off from seeing the finished product, I think enough moves were made that we can feel comfortable that the team is on the right track by limiting as many needs as possible prior to the draft.

Not overly excited about this. Not sure he brings that much to the table anymore. But he could turn out to be one of those pleasant Andre Carter / Mark Anderson type of surprise, unlikely though it is.

Has anyone made a pun based on the actor of the same name yet?

I'd rather have Robert Ayers.

I'd rather have Robert Ayers.

Why?
Ayers stinks.
Interesting stat:
Will Smith had more sacks in one season that Ayers has in his career, of 5 seasons and 72 games.
Since Ayers entered the league in 2009, Smith has 31 (including missing an entire season) and Ayers has 12.

I don't think that we can count on 2014 pass-rushing help from this draft. The prospects are few, and the players available at the other positions of need are many.

IMHO, we need to hope that Buchanan improves and that he is paired with a veteran.

I would agree at the present moment, mg, but it's a bit early just yet.

We could certainly add a passrusher/rotational DE in the draft, see improvement at the DT spot through the same avenue, and/or see a camp or salary cap casualty happen in the summer months as well. All of those are distinct possibilities.

While we may be a long way off from seeing the finished product, I think enough moves were made that we can feel comfortable that the team is on the right track by limiting as many needs as possible prior to the draft.

I don't think that we can count on 2014 pass-rushing help from this draft. The prospects are few, and the players available at the other positions of need are many.

IMHO, we need to hope that Buchanan improves and that he is paired with a veteran.

Depth of a draft doesn't really mean that the best player available will be in a position where the draft is deep.
If you are drafting in round 2 and need a pass rusher, the fact that there may be 10 OGs rated 2nd round value doesn't mean the G you would pick is better than the only 2nd round rated pass rusher on the board.

Depth of a draft doesn't really mean that the best player available will be in a position where the draft is deep.
If you are drafting in round 2 and need a pass rusher, the fact that there may be 10 OGs rated 2nd round value doesn't mean the G you would pick is better than the only 2nd round rated pass rusher on the board.

It certainly increases the odds of it. When a position runs shallow players get over-drafted based on team needs, thinning the position even further. Conversely, when a position is tremendously deep, like WR this year, even an excellent prospect can slide.

The chances that the best DE available at #62 this year will be as good an overall prospect as the best WR available seem slim indeed. (And Aaron Dobson was a solid value at #58 last year, but wouldn't be a 2nd rounder this year.)

It certainly increases the odds of it. When a position runs shallow players get over-drafted based on team needs, thinning the position even further. Conversely, when a position is tremendously deep, like WR this year, even an excellent prospect can slide.

The chances that the best DE available at #62 this year will be as good an overall prospect as the best WR available seem slim indeed. (And Aaron Dobson was a solid value at #58 last year, but wouldn't be a 2nd rounder this year.)

I don't agree. I think at 62 there will be a bunch of players that still belong on the board, and which one is best doesn't have much to do with how many players at his position are also in the same range.
In other words I think talent drives the draft much more than need. I recognize that individual decisions are sometimes overriden by need, but overall in the draft, I don't think players fall because there were too many other good ones. Perhaps QB is the exception because there are a limited number of teams that would consider high picks on QBs, but I don't think it applies at other positions.

Rookies to reach 10 sacks since 2009:

Aldon Smith (2011)
Von Miller (2011)
Ndamukong Suh (2010)
Clay Matthews (2009)
Brian Orakpo (2009)

All were highly drafted players. It does seem odd what BB is doing currently with #3/#4 DE, passing on a loaded FA class at the position. Buchanan, a rookie, and a JAG may not cut it.

Rookies to reach 10 sacks since 2009:

Aldon Smith (2011)
Von Miller (2011)
Ndamukong Suh (2010)
Clay Matthews (2009)
Brian Orakpo (2009)

All were highly drafted players. It does seem odd what BB is doing currently with #3/#4 DE, passing on a loaded FA class at the position. Buchanan, a rookie, and a JAG may not cut it.

I dont know if I consider it passing on a loaded FA class when the whole class are starting, big money players and your need is for a #3/#4.
Its unrealistic to expect any team to pay top starter $ to get a reserve.

What your logic suggests is that NO team uses need as a major part of their evaluation. I don't think that this is the case. I understand that I exaggerate your position for emphasis.

I also believe that if there are few quality players available at a position, that this position will be "overdrafted", that is, players will be picked a bit higher than their value suggests.

I agree with you that this most often happens at quarterback, but I think that this happens at other positions also.

I don't agree. I think at 62 there will be a bunch of players that still belong on the board, and which one is best doesn't have much to do with how many players at his position are also in the same range.
In other words I think talent drives the draft much more than need. I recognize that individual decisions are sometimes overriden by need, but overall in the draft, I don't think players fall because there were too many other good ones. Perhaps QB is the exception because there are a limited number of teams that would consider high picks on QBs, but I don't think it applies at other positions.

What your logic suggests is that NO team uses need as a major part of their evaluation.
It doesnt suggest that at all, in fact I specifically said otherwise with:

I recognize that individual decisions are sometimes overriden by need, but overall in the draft

I don't think that this is the case. I understand that I exaggerate your position for emphasis.
You didn't exaggerate it, you made it something it isn't.

I also believe that if there are few quality players available at a position, that this position will be "overdrafted", that is, players will be picked a bit higher than their value suggests.
That is possible, but it doesn't mean that it will happen all of the time, and the best players on the board will only be a position where there is depth. Teams don't not pick the best guy because there are other good players that play position.
BPA also gets executed through trades.

I agree with you that this most often happens at quarterback, but I think that this happens at other positions also.
Not to the extent that you cannot draft a player to fit your need because everyone of value will be gone when you pick. At pick #59 teams havent drafted DEs that belong in the 70s and past on DTs that belong in the 40s.

Why?
Ayers stinks.
Interesting stat:
Will Smith had more sacks in one season that Ayers has in his career, of 5 seasons and 72 games.
Since Ayers entered the league in 2009, Smith has 31 (including missing an entire season) and Ayers has 12.

Because Ayers is younger, healthier, had a career high in sacks last season, and can
"set the edge" better than Will Smith, who is old, broken-down, and washed-up.

All of this is of course a moot point since Bill allowed yet another UFA DE to slip through
his fingers, bringing the grand total of signings at our 2 biggest positions of need - DE &
TE - to a big, fat Zero.

Because Ayers is younger, healthier, had a career high in sacks last season, and can

All of this is of course a moot point since Bill allowed yet another UFA DE to slip through
his fingers, bringing the grand total of signings at our 2 biggest positions of need - DE &
TE - to a big, fat Zero.
You're being overly kind to Ayers. He's not much more than a name.

TE - to a big, fat Zero.

You're not being fair here. This team's #1 offseason need was CB, not DE or TE. Most of us assumed Talib would be back and didn't give it a lot of thought, but that was the must-have spot.

I always liked Will Smith. He wasn't a fit as a 3-4 DE, and he had a season ending injury... and he's over 30.

He's worth a one year prove it contract and with the cap going up by a lot this year and possibly next... he needs to put up numbers in a 4-3 so why not come to New England for a contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News