PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle will be huge ongoing problem for Pats this season

It’s a ridiculous statement, Brown is massive.
One of heaviest players in the NFL for years comes into camp "massive" So?

What has Brown's weight been before camp in the past. I suspect that 400 is certainly not unusual.

Brown is massive. That is not a weakness.

What has Brown's weight been before camp in the past. I suspect that 400 is certainly not unusual.

I think it's more the fact that he came back so out of shape that, if reports are to be believed, he couldn't actually train. Given how much he seemed to have checked out mentally last year i think it's reasonable to hope he came back in decent shape and bought in.

Given how much he seemed to have checked out mentally last year i think it's reasonable to hope he came back in decent shape and bought in.
First question:
Are we "hoping" for the future or the past?

Second question:
Why is it "reasonable to hope" Brown suddenly gives a schitt?

Third question:
Is Brown a human sine wave that peaks in odd years and craters in even years?

First question:
Are we "hoping" for the future or the past?
I think its a combo of my dyslexia and uk grammar and tenses around sports can be quite weird as whilst it's clunky most Brits would be ok with that
Second question:
Why is it "reasonable to hope" Brown suddenly gives a schitt?
Because he is a pro athlete and it's his job. The expectation of everyone is to do their job no? I'm sure that is what the team expect him to do
Third question:
Is Brown a human sine wave that peaks in odd years and craters in even years
Yes

As a Brit i have to say you guys can be quite full on on here. May it's a cultural thing but responses can be way more intense than on similar UK forums.

LT is the carbon fibre that will likely implode this Patriots season.

First, there’s you:

Then there’s Mark Morse:

I wonder who could be correct.
Mark Morse is your appeal to authority? You should be embarrassed.

If Trent Brown were a lorry driver, he’d be discharged for showing up disheveled and a couple of pints to his name.

T Brown is probably randy to go on a jolly, not football. BTW, he couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery.

400 does not imply weakness…it absolutely says fat, lazy and a higher risk for injury. It’s a problem because ligaments get weak and therefore there is a greater risk for stretching or tearing when pushing them to hard to quickly.

OTA’s had plenty of video showing Brown walking to the practice field, attempting a couple drills and then standing on the sideline and watching.

He’s being paid to stay in shape. He hasn’t done that.

400 does not imply weakness…it absolutely says fat, lazy and a higher risk for injury. It’s a problem because ligaments get weak and therefore there is a greater risk for stretching or tearing when pushing them to hard to quickly.

OTA’s had plenty of video showing Brown walking to the practice field, attempting a couple drills and then standing on the sideline and watching.

He is paid to be in shape for the season.

Yes, he is also paid for being in minimum shape to start camp.

Being 25 pounds overweight weeks before camp shouldn't be a big deal for someone who plays at 375.

I don't expect everyone to pass the physical immediately in Training Camp. Should be cut them? Should we expect someone who can't pass the camp physical in the first couple of days won't be able to contribute in Game One? No, of course not.
======================
I don't think that it is at all unusual for veterans to be "out of shape" until well into camp. Some players are in shape 52 weeks a year. Many are not.
=================
For me, it is the scrimmages that will tell us a lot, but not all that much. After all, the key is who will be in top shape for a playoff run.

I would be curious what the teams expectations are of him and whether there is contact through the off season in terms of conditioning. For a player with his injury history it could make a huge difference in terms of him being able to make it through a season.

Brown has struggled with weight so it would not surprise anyone if he is heavy. Having recognized that, the point was being made that no reporter had confirmed why Brown was not a more active participant. Brown might have had a cold, bronchitis, etc., we do not know. You can speculate, but others have proposed a "wait and see" approach.

Brown has a weight clause so he is only being paid if he is under the weight limit set in his contract. He is not being paid if over the weight limit.

Brown has struggled with weight so it would not surprise anyone if he is heavy. Having recognized that, the point was being made that no reporter had confirmed why Brown was not a more active participant. Brown might have had a cold, bronchitis, etc., we do not know. You can speculate, but others have proposed a "wait and see" approach.

Brown has a weight clause so he is only being paid if he is under the weight limit set in his contract. He is not being paid if over the weight limit.
Do you think he isn't being paid? I always assumed it was weight based incentives.

Do you think he isn't being paid? I always assumed it was weight based incentives.

If Brown is overweight and out of shape in August, I don't doubt the Pats would cut him, not pay him, and save the cash and cap space. I did not look up Brown's contract breakdown to determine how much Brown would lose. Having said that, there are not a lot of other options at LT, so I hope the Pats have the situation under control. I doubt Brown will be out of shape, overweight, and getying paid on the 53 going into the regular season.

My point is that Brown will not be overweight and out of shape and the Pats have to pay him under some guarantee. Brown gets in shape or he is gone.

I hope the Pats have the situation under control
I don’t think they do. They rolled in undersized CA, who is probably better than Reiff at this point. But our offense will be blown up by the stud DEs in this division. And instead of a solid inline TE in the third round to help chip block and in the running game, we got a somewhat redundant though exciting defensive prospect in Mapu.

I continue to stipulate that the third round had to be offense. But Belichick thought otherwise. Got to keep the cupboard full for certain defensive coaches who share the same name.

I don’t think they do. They rolled in undersized CA, who is probably better than Reiff at this point. But our offense will be blown up by the stud DEs in this division. And instead of a solid inline TE in the third round to help chip block and in the running game, we got a somewhat redundant though exciting defensive prospect in Mapu.

I continue to stipulate that the third round had to be offense. But Belichick thought otherwise. Got to keep the cupboard full for certain defensive coaches who share the same name.

I don't agree with your "same name" conspiracy theories.

I think the Pats should draft the BPA. We need great players. What solid in-line TE do you think the Pats should have drafted?

Being 25 pounds overweight weeks before camp shouldn't be a big deal for someone who plays at 375.

I don't expect everyone to pass the physical immediately in Training Camp. Should be cut them? Should we expect someone who can't pass the camp physical in the first couple of days won't be able to contribute in Game One? No, of course not.
======================
I don't think that it is at all unusual for veterans to be "out of shape" until well into camp. Some players are in shape 52 weeks a year. Many are not.
=================
For me, it is the scrimmages that will tell us a lot, but not all that much. After all, the key is who will be in top shape for a playoff run.
Well that’s part of my point. He should be closer to 350 if he is serious about playing at a high level again as he gets older. Fat and lazy isn’t good enough. 400 lbs isn’t good enough. He’s asking for a serious injury if continues down this road. I very much hope he does not get injured due to his laziness.

Looks trim (for him!) here:

Exactly... looks like he always does and is putting in work on his own.

All he needs to do is stay healthy and the offense around him needs to execute at an efficient level.

I hope he shows up ready to play and they give him a two year extension... some heads will explode here.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back