PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle will be huge ongoing problem for Pats this season

Belichick put his faith in Trent Brown at LT. He feels that the undersized Calvin Anderson can be an adequate backup.

Then we have perennial PS McDermott, who despite his limitations, had a breakout year last year, stabilising the horror show at RT. Riley Reiffcan be a starter there, too. He will be 35, but so will Jets LT Duane Brown.

The key to the whole thing is for our Brown to make football the priority or, at least, a priority in his life. From what I saw recently…

We will know that answer by mid August.

It’s not original with me, but when Mac Jones deals with pressure his impressive accuracy of dropping dimes like he does in shorts goes out the window. His play becomes pedestrian.

At Alabama he played with a group of high-end nfl players that often overpowered the opposition.

Yep.

People should think of it like this: On a neutral field, who would've won between the 2020 Alabama Crimson Tide and the 2020 NEP?

We will know that answer by mid August.
The issue is whether the old vets will be able to play well throughout the season and into the playoffs.

I don't see how we will have the answer by mid-August or even mid-September.

The issue is whether the old vets will be able to play well throughout the season and into the playoffs.
This. That extra game is brutal on those guys. We're fortunate there's a lot more youth on this roster, but a few key guys will need to be both healthy and playing well by December.

The 2018 season was sort of a good example of this team being both relatively healthy and playing well at the right time to make a run. Definitely need guys to hopefully be in decent shape by January for them to hopefully both qualify and advance.

I don't see how we will have the answer by mid-August or even mid-September.

Oh I think we'll have an answer on Trent Brown fairly quickly... The others - Reiffer, Mister Anderson & the New McD - might take longer; though Opening Day will be a pretty good test...

Just to let you know Trent Brown won’t be working out today. Or tomorrow.

He’s got plans. He’s living his life. Ain’t hungry for gridiron success no mo. His sights are on the High Life.

Oh I think we'll have an answer on Trent Brown fairly quickly
Yes. The eye test then the conditioning run.

With TB it’s not so much about his ability, but his lack of effort and preparation this off-season. He’s visibly lazy and unmotivated. Fat slob, really.

And in a contract year. Just dumb. He’ll end up potentially losing out on millions.

If Calvin Anderson is Plan B, one can see why we could be in trouble.

You don't know that. The team has an OL coach this season which it didn't have last year. Stop the damn doom and gloom act, it's wearing thin and the season hasn't even started.

All this thread is about is a reprise of Sam Bam being upset that they didn’t take the position he wanted them to take in the first round of the draft. On one hand he doesn’t think the QB is any good, yet on the other he pretends that a LT would “ transform” the team, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

One thing to consider is the AFC East’s strength not just as a being strong overall, but specifically at the DE position. The Dolphins and Bills have a group as strong as the Patriots, for example. And the Jets have invested two first-rounders in recent years.

Seeing a healthy Von Miller going against Calvin Anderson and a Greg Rousseau going against any one of the Reiff or McDermott sounds ominous from a Patriots perspective.

With TB it’s not so much about his ability, but his lack of effort and preparation this off-season. He’s visibly lazy and unmotivated. Fat slob, really.
Based on what… a photo of him in a sweaty tshirt.

He’s typically around 365 pounds, do you have the before and after photos?

The whole thing about this is that picks can bust as well. So even if BB had drafted a blue chip LT, he could crap out….there’s plenty of time. Sky’s not falling…yet.

Protruding gut, skinny arms, weight in all the wrong places, needing conditioning, his checkered history, avoiding all voluntary activities. Why are you this obtuse?
This from one picture you saw online?

The whole thing about this is that picks can bust as well. So even if BB had drafted a blue chip LT, he could crap out….there’s plenty of time. Sky’s not falling…yet.
I prefer free agents over draft picks but they cost more.

Offensive play calling, Ken. If we see 1st down run calls 90% of the time early on, it's going to be another long season. I DESPISED the Strange pick last year to the point I had to leave this board for a few months before the start of the season. I STILL hate that pick at that spot but he's an integral part of this year's O line, as are the other vets on the line. IF O'Brien is going to stick with the worst , most idiotic play calling in MY NFL Patriots history of SIXTY THREE YEARS...then our season is already shot.
I remain optimistic though. I held season tickets from the mid-70's until the early 90's. I sat through 2-14 seasons, bumbling fumbling ownership, overflowing urinals and metal benches in friggin' lightning storms...and guess what? I'd do it all again 100 times over! What I will not tolerate as a die hard Pats fan is another Laurel&Hardy offensive game plan being employed EVERY SINGLE GAME.
Year 3 for Mac...play action on first down...FROM THE GET GO!!! No more "we run the ball on first down every time and then play into every team in the NFL's defenses!" ridiculousness. OVER!! Find out if this kid has what it takes to win at this level. Period.
Otherwise it's just going to be another Chosin Death March season...IMO

I'm not worried about a repeat of the approach on offense. BOB is a prideful fellow; he'll change things up just to make his mark. In this case, it's the right thing to do anyway.

At some point @Ian or somebody should put together a collection of your best rants. Or yours and @Tunescribe. Just in time for Christmas giving.

It’s a ridiculous statement, Brown is massive.
Yeah... remember that time he showed up to camp weighing 220 pounds. :rolleyes:

He's always been massive. They've had weight clauses in his contract the entire time he's been here to keep him at 360 pounds.

Did you guys get a chance to weigh him at OTA's as well, or were you just guessing his weight like a carnival worker?

Tackles look terrible. It will be a problem

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back