PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After today... This looks like a 9-7 team as of today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team..

Thank you..

Used to be the Patriots, and Patriots fans, relished being underdogs... we knew the team weren't going to be favorites - and the players thrived on the fact that expectations were not as high as for other teams that had the marquee names and had spent a lot of money in free agency.

That's what drove average players to be an extraordinary team - and yet, most fans apparently have not only forgotten that, they have a knee jerk opposition to any suggestion that we get back to our roots and embrace a role as underdog.

Fan pride won't let most accept the possiblity - even likelihood - of splitting within the Division... and apparently many fans think it's High Treason to suggest that they are not locks to win the majority of games against the Ravens, Vikings, Chargers, Colts, Steelers, Packers and Bengals.

I'm not expecting "fans" to see things rationally - and there's nothing wrong with fans being optimistic - but I don't understand all this negativity thrown your way.

Last edited:

And if you weren't a 6 toed hillbilly who'd f*cked his sister, you'd be intelligent, but you're not, so what's your point?

Don't be jealous of my sister and her teeth:D

Attachments

• austin_powers.jpg
    austin_powers.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 219
Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team...

Does the season begin tomorrow?

When did this turn into the Jets forum...

Didn't know they had to be the April Super Bowl Champion every year- I thought all that mattered was they become the February Super Bowl Champion :rolleyes:

Last edited:

what records do the jets, miami, and buffalo have?

While I don't believe the Pats are a SB favorite (or even a serious contender) yet, they did inject as much young talent to the roster as possible. Hard be mad at that. And the offseason still isn't over.

Sure we have questions after this draft. For one, the Pats did not frontally address their pass rush needs, the way they did with their tight end needs. Cunningham needed to be complimented with at least another OLB. Still, the Pats boosted their secondary, drafted two of the top tight ends and a promising wide receiver.

The Pats did improve -- while adding to their assets (draft picks) next year. But so did all the Pats competitors. They improved through key free agent signings and trades (Marshall, Holmes etc.) So, whether the Pats did relatively well enough to hold their own in the field will not be known until the Fall. Till then, it is everyman's opinion -- and just that.

I can't believe people say our WR corps declined.

Yes, we lost Welker, but remember last year, we were complaining about only aving two good recievers, and saying if we had a 3rd reciever we could go to the superbowl. We now have 2 great recievers(Welker will be back come playoof time) and 4 good recievers. Holt is the perfect number 2(until wesley comes bacj) and number 3. Edelman will play like a maniac, imagine what a full off-season as a Wide reciever can do to him. I expect something from Tate, I think the kid as loads of talent, he was a 1st rounder(talent wise) in 2009. Price is good pick, if BB and the FO prefered this guy over Mardy Gilyard he must be good. And if the rookies fail(Tate, Price), which I think they won't, at least one of them must suceed, we still have Patten, a proven capable WR, a good number 4.

AND DON'T forget, we got a great Tight End in Gronkowsky, who is a capable reciever, and a GREAT reciever in Aaron Hernandez.

All this with TB with 6 months of vacations on his legs.

Honestly, I would trade Welker for Holt, Price, Tate, Patten and an improved Edelman, who wouldn't?

NOT TELL ME, WHERES THAT DECLINING?

When did this turn into the Jets forum...

Didn't know they had to be the April Super Bowl Champion every year- I thought all that mattered was they become the February Super Bowl Champion :rolleyes:

you better start brushing up on your Jet history, rookie...it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the Jets are the all time record holder for winning the September Super Bowl...a prize that is akin to the Holy Grail in the NY/NJ Metro area.

pick up the slack cuz' there's gonna be another quiz next week...

Yes, we lost Welker....

But aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

C'mon - I'm no chicken little - and I agree that I'd prefer to see more of a spread offense than something so focused on Welker and Moss...

But Welker makes Moss better and vice versa. Welker is a HUGE loss.

I definately wouldn't trade Welker for Patten, Holt, Edleman and whoever else you want to add in there... I don't know anyone who would.

Now this is a far better WR squad than 2006 and we were OK there but had some major liabilities that prevented the team from truly being an elite team.

No reason to flame the OP

you better start brushing up on your Jet history, rookie...it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the Jets are the all time record holder for winning the September Super Bowl...a prize that is akin to the Holy Grail in the NY/NJ Metro area.

pick up the slack cuz' there's gonna be another quiz next week...

Yeah but that's different, that's after all the roster trimming and TC cuts :D

This is the April Super Bowl- the one where the media anoints the champion in waiting after adding a bunch of rookies that won't see a starting down for two, three, or four years :rolleyes:

what records do the jets, miami, and buffalo have?

They're undefeated!

We're unvictorious.

The future looks bright, but the team is still lacking some weapons to be a threat in the AFC in 2010...

Right now we might be the 5th or 6th best team..

Baltimore, NYJ, Miami, SD and Indy, are light years better than the us, wheather you like to admit or not...

Yes we have Brady, and Belichick but there are still some questions...

OLB- is a huge question mark... , RB who is the back??? and yes WR is a issue..

Why is WR a issue - what will Randy Moss be??? how long is Welker out?? is Holt the next Gaffney or Galloway???, Edleman and Tate ,espically Tate is a huge question mark at best... Cant expect Pryce or Patten to be the awnser...

OLB starters right now are TBC, Nikovitch and Woods... Dont tell me Cunningham will be the starting OLB week 1... He is a year away yet...

As a AFC fav, its the ravens, and we have a chance in the divison, but there are too many questions and key spots to say we are a super bowl or even a playoff team right now...

Sean, it's simply waaaaaay too early for this kind of assessment. You simply don't know how things are going to shake down. Nobody does. Every single area you mention as a question mark has a potentially solid answer already on the roster (including recent acquisitions, guys coming off IR and draftees). The Patriots will be competitive this year and definitely will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Relax, and enjoy watching things come together.

Last edited:

Yes, we lost Welker, but remember last year, we were complaining about only aving two good recievers, and saying if we had a 3rd reciever we could go to the superbowl. We now have 2 great recievers(Welker will be back come playoof time) and 4 good recievers. Holt is the perfect number 2(until wesley comes bacj) and number 3. Edelman will play like a maniac, imagine what a full off-season as a Wide reciever can do to him. I expect something from Tate, I think the kid as loads of talent, he was a 1st rounder(talent wise) in 2009. Price is good pick, if BB and the FO prefered this guy over Mardy Gilyard he must be good. And if the rookies fail(Tate, Price), which I think they won't, at least one of them must suceed, we still have Patten, a proven capable WR, a good number 4.

AND DON'T forget, we got a great Tight End in Gronkowsky, who is a capable reciever, and a GREAT reciever in Aaron Hernandez.

All this with TB with 6 months of vacations on his legs.

Honestly, I would trade Welker for Holt, Price, Tate, Patten and an improved Edelman, who wouldn't?

NOT TELL ME, WHERES THAT DECLINING?

I said it declined b/c of WW and a 33 yr old Moss and a bunch of unknowns (draft picks, FAs, etc>).

WW was on a pace to catch 130 balls for 1500 yds and on the season had 81 first downs. That is a ridiculous amount of production and playmaking to lose. If he does come back this year, it won't be at 2009 levels. As I said, if the team get's 80% of that, I'll be thrilled.

With that said, lets see where 130 catches, 1500 yds and 81 first downs from...

Brandon Tate- Like the kid, but his injury history has been unkind to him. He is a wild card and an unknown. I hope for the best.
Patten- Was out of football last year. I question him as a 5 WR.
Torry Holt- Maybe they get Gaffney numbers (40 for 600)
Edelman- Love the kid. I say they get 60 for 800 yds if he plays. Not bad at all.
Aiken, Stanback and Price-I don't see a lot of production out of this group next year. Price is a nice pick but he has a ways to go.
Moss- Will get 75 for 1000ysds if he stays healthy. Nice production. But not 2009 levels.

The potential is there, however with all that said, I say decline until proven otherwise.

My .02$

Are you serious with this???????????

Last edited:

Not sure what the OP means by these wins-losses. It's a moot point wether the Patriots will be a 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, or 12-3 teams. Knock on wood...but I doubt that the team will be suckage this year, as long as you have BB and Brady.

Belichick always for some reason have this team ready and in contention year in and year out...no matter what the situation. Even in 2008...with Cassel as a starter...we were one Brett Favre come back away from making the playoffs.

The question is...are the Patriots good enough to win the Division and elite enough to do some damage in the Playoffs this year. That's what you should be asking...and not about wins and losses...

Last edited:

I figured the relative quiet here this afternoon was like the lull before the storm of whiners got their second wind. No surprise who is leading the charge. The executive VP of the sky is falling contingent...Sean is off his anxiety meds again. And as is always the case, misery loves company...

Used to be the Patriots, and Patriots fans, relished being underdogs... we knew the team weren't going to be favorites - and the players thrived on the fact that expectations were not as high as for other teams that had the marquee names and had spent a lot of money in free agency.

That's what drove average players to be an extraordinary team - and yet, most fans apparently have not only forgotten that, they have a knee jerk opposition to any suggestion that we get back to our roots and embrace a role as underdog.

Fan pride won't let most accept the possiblity - even likelihood - of splitting within the Division... and apparently many fans think it's High Treason to suggest that they are not locks to win the majority of games against the Ravens, Vikings, Chargers, Colts, Steelers, Packers and Bengals.

I'm not expecting "fans" to see things rationally - and there's nothing wrong with fans being optimistic - but I don't understand all this negativity thrown your way.

Been a fan since 78, I guess when your team has a hall of fame Qb on your roster you should surround him with hall of fame or pro bowl talent... That would be my only frustration... I guess when you dont get excited over every pick or every FA signed or everybody that makes 2 catches a game , and think your team is a few steps behind teams that beat you once, your a anti fan on this board.. But let the chips fall where they may...

I figured the relative quiet here this afternoon was like the lull before the storm of whiners got their second wind. No surprise who is leading the charge. The executive VP of the sky is falling contingent...Sean is off his anxiety meds again. And as is always the case, misery loves company...

And you must of had your homer pie for breakfest lunch and dinner.. The sky is not falling, but its not going to be raising any banners in 10 right now either...

I think we definitely improved our team, so did everyone else in the league. Hopefully, our rate of improvement can be equal to or maybe a little bit better than some of the other ones. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST