PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots FO needs to avoid appeasing the fans.

When the people are purchasing the tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc., it would be wise to appease the fans. This is a business first.
if Kraft can't stomach a couple lean years after all the time he had during the Dynasty to rake it in, then he shouldn't be in this business at all.

If you want to appease the fans bring guys like Bruschi, Wilfork, Moss, Edelman, Brady, Chung, Troy Brown, Slater, etc to do on field events on gameday. Guys we knew and loved from the heyday. The Edmondton Oilers demonstrate pretty well how a franchise with sustained success over a long prior era, can live on its history for awhile if it has to. But don't do it through the roster.

Bedard published a fan letter yesterday along with his response and I thought it was dead on.

The whiny entitlement/indignation of the fan was SO cringe.

This is year one of a rebuild…

It’s going to take minute.

If the goal is sustainable, long-term SB contention then we have to be prepared for a lean year or two while they build an NFL offense.

There will be growing pains, and as long as I see signs of progress, I’m good with it.

Now…if the team regresses, looks undisciplined, or rudderless that’s a different story.

BUT…I have zero interest in short-term bandaids that might help them win 1/2 more games next year if it’s at the expense of building the right way.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

"The mob has many heads but no brains." - English Proverb

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." - George Carlin

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are ****sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." - Marcus Aurelius

"The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it." - Osho

Unfortunately though the offseason is a terrible time to figure that out. We don't know what we are, other than awful. We don't know what we have. that's why this is a lost year, we have too many questions that only live football can answer. And that's why it makes no sense to make big offensive purchases now. Only moves that fundamentally improve all facets of the offense, such as upgrades at O-line, or the acquisition of a genuinely talented QB, make true sense right now.

So... Technically it's like a Schrödinger's cat situation. We could be sitting on the best team in the history of the NFL... HMMMMMMM.....

In all seriousness, though, I agree. Unfortunately.

This is a multi year rebuild, people should expect that and not demand massive desperation moves to appear like they are trying to win a ring this year.

IMHO the most important objectives for the rebuild this season should be as follows:

1. Addressing the QB position through the draft, predicated on a strategy to put that player in the best position to succeed and lead the team in the future, not necessarily his first year. They have made a credible first step in that regard by bringing in Brissett who, in comparison to the other options available, is a reasonable "bridge" to that future.

2. Achieving alignment within the coaching staff, and between the coaching staff and the player personnel staff. I am not familiar enough with the backgrounds of the coaches they brought in to know who worked with who in the past, but for this to work towards the success we hope they achieve in the future the "football management" need to learn how to work together well.

3. Addressing the OT and WR position through the draft and success in developing their younger players. I don't think they have their future LT1 on the roster yet, and they certainly don't have anyone at WR that other teams need to game plan for.

4. Achieving progress in the development of players already on the roster and their draft and rookie free agent class at positions other than OT and WR. In particular at FS, boundary CB, and TE. This is squarely on the shoulders of the new coaching staff. They must have results similar to what we saw Covington achieve with Barmore last year.

Are the Patriots fans as a whole wiser than the rest since we've just witnessed how playing the long game led to the best 20-year run in football history? Or are we just dopes like everyone else?

'If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you're going to be sitting with them.'

Well, they can appease ME by trading down out of No. 3.

What are you looking for and who in that trade?

Two first-round picks this year and a first or second next year (the Vikings look to be a prospective trade partner for this). I'd like to see them prioritize a stud left tackle with one of the picks and use the other on a WR or QB. Then use their own second-rounder on a WR or QB.

I would say last season was a great example of not appeasing the fans… I went to the last game and was not appeased. Total s—-show, thank goodness we are running back the same offense only this time with a worse offensive line.

Again, not appeased but optimistic.

Well be sure to let me know when the product is entertaining I guess.

Agree- The responsibility of ownership is to field a product in which will generate revenue. Full stop.

NFL teams believe the best way to do that is to a) win games and b) in a fashion which is not only entertaining but also is the best approach to win games.

Acquiring players and coaches which fit that vision and strategy is how you do that.

Acquiring players which will not help the team win nor fit in the fashion in which they want to win just because fans want them is nonsensical.

You mean continually losing games 10 to 6 isn’t a good business model?

"This is a multiyear rebuild."

We're sure hearing that ^ a lot... again, based on what?

The new regime inherited the third most cap space in the NFL, and clean books for years into the future.

They inherited the 3rd overall pick and every subsequent round, along with all their future draft picks.

They inherited the 5th best defense in points allowed per drive, a booming punter and a pretty well run special teams unit outside of an inconsistent rookie field goal kicker.

They have to fix the 32nd ranked offense... why does that take multiple years?

It's this ^ attitude that will have us staring at a doormat for the next decade.

They started out strong bringing all of their best free agents back, now they're sitting on their hands.

They also signed a few guys who could have been money better spent elsewhere and lack overall athleticism.

There's nothing spoiled or entitled for pointing that out.

Well, they can appease ME by trading down out of No. 3.

@archstanton543 Most of the time I ignore them, but your frequent flyby "disagrees" sans explanatory response are getting irritating. Here's a case in point: the above statement, my personal feeling on this topic, simply is not something anyone else can disagree with. If I instead said they SHOULD or MUST trade out of No. 3 then your contrarian predilections might have an opening. So think about saving yourself the keystrokes unless you plan to explain why. Otherwise, you come across as a knee-jerk fool.

@archstanton543 Most of the time I ignore them, but your frequent flyby "disagrees" sans explanatory response are getting irritating. Here's a case in point: the above statement, my personal feeling on this topic, simply is not something anyone else can disagree with. If I instead said they SHOULD or MUST trade out of No. 3 then your contrarian predilections might have an opening. So think about saving yourself the keystrokes unless you plan to explain why. Otherwise, you come across as a knee-jerk fool.
It's the highest pick they've had in two generations. They need to take a QB (or MHJ) at 3. Trading down is part of the reason their roster is in the shape it's in. BB trading down instead of simply taking a player where they were (or, God forbid, trading up for a player they really liked).

I'm going to disagree with the crazy, negative take here because...I disagree with them. Sorry if that upsets you.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back