PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots FO needs to avoid appeasing the fans.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
No big splash FA or trades. No spicy moves to entice the fanbase. Both will play against the goal of eventually winning the Superbowl.

This year, and probably the next, are lost years. if we try to put a fig leave over them by signing mediocre free agents just to make a splash, they will still be lost years and we'll be out resources we could have used later.

The rebuilding of this team will not be accomplished by bringing in high priced veterans just for the sake of "doing something." if they see a guy they like at a price they find reasonable, wonderful. If they don't, they'd be fools to force the issue.

What this team needs to do above all else is solidify its philosophy and figure out what kind of team it can build. One of the criteria for that, is what assets are out there to build with both in terms of the draft and acquirable personnel. There's several models to chase in pursuit of a team identity, the most important thing now is to pick one you like and move towards it.

We already have a pretty fair defensive identity. But our offense is expansion squad level. I think this year will be as much about figuring out what we have and what that means for how the future will look as anything else. And I think whoever we select for a QB will have a lot to do with what kind of offensive identity (smashmouth, two-way, high end passing attack, possession, gunslinger) can be put together from the pieces we have.

personally I'd prefer a hard hitting offense built out from its line and centered around the rushing attack. I think that's the way to go at least in the short term, especially with Brissett or a wet behind the ears rookie under center. There are other styles that will produce results too. The important thing is to find a style and stick with it. Operational schizophrenia where we try to force the offense to be all things to all people isn't going to cut it, we don't have the talent. So figure out what we cah squeeze out of this lot, and work that angle to improve the offense from terrible to merely mediocre. That might even be all we need to do to start winning more games.

Unfortunately though the offseason is a terrible time to figure that out. We don't know what we are, other than awful. We don't know what we have. that's why this is a lost year, we have too many questions that only live football can answer. And that's why it makes no sense to make big offensive purchases now. Only moves that fundamentally improve all facets of the offense, such as upgrades at O-line, or the acquisition of a genuinely talented QB, make true sense right now.

Once we have a chance to figure out what we even are, then other moves make sense. But like I said, that's going to take some honest-to-god football games to figure out. So for right now, the only course of action that actually works for us is to hold our options open, build out the basics, and see where we can go from there. Not sexy for the fanbase, but it has the benefit of being the right decision anyway.

When did Pats ever appease the fans?

You believe that Wolfie and Kraft read this place and act on threads like this?

Let’s hope Wolf and Mayo have already decided on what type of team they are going to be and how they are going to build it, part of that is they didn’t spend ridiculous amounts of money on a week free agency class which leads me to believe they will build the team through the drafts and Wolf has said this a few times. I agree it will take at least a couple seasons for them to completely rebuild the team and have a talented roster.

Will this draft be mostly offensive players selected? It will be an interesting draft.

Acquiring good players via FA is not about appeasing the fans, it is about building the team's talent base. This team needs talent, and it would be wise for them to acquire said talent via whatever method available to them, be it draft, trades or FA. Sitting out FA does not get you closer to the goal of eventually competing, because your books might be clean but you still do not have the players needed to be competitive.

Is it wise to take advice from a Simpleton?

I hope we don't turn away from a defensive player if they're the BPA. But the offense is where most of our needs are at right now.
That's where we are handicapped and we play in a Division with Teams who can score. The First Three Picks were on D last year No to the D in 24.

Let’s hope Wolf and Mayo have already decided on what type of team they are going to be and how they are going to build it, part of that is they didn’t spend ridiculous amounts of money on a week free agency class which leads me to believe they will build the team through the drafts and Wolf has said this a few times. I agree it will take at least a couple seasons for them to completely rebuild the team and have a talented roster.

Will this draft be mostly offensive players selected? It will be an interesting draft.
Wolf and mayo sounds like a weird specialty sandwich

No big splash FA or trades. No spicy moves to entice the fanbase. Both will play against the goal of eventually winning the Superbowl.

This year, and probably the next, are lost years. if we try to put a fig leave over them by signing mediocre free agents just to make a splash, they will still be lost years and we'll be out resources we could have used later.

The rebuilding of this team will not be accomplished by bringing in high priced veterans just for the sake of "doing something." if they see a guy they like at a price they find reasonable, wonderful. If they don't, they'd be fools to force the issue.

What this team needs to do above all else is solidify its philosophy and figure out what kind of team it can build. One of the criteria for that, is what assets are out there to build with both in terms of the draft and acquirable personnel. There's several models to chase in pursuit of a team identity, the most important thing now is to pick one you like and move towards it.

We already have a pretty fair defensive identity. But our offense is expansion squad level. I think this year will be as much about figuring out what we have and what that means for how the future will look as anything else. And I think whoever we select for a QB will have a lot to do with what kind of offensive identity (smashmouth, two-way, high end passing attack, possession, gunslinger) can be put together from the pieces we have.

personally I'd prefer a hard hitting offense built out from its line and centered around the rushing attack. I think that's the way to go at least in the short term, especially with Brissett or a wet behind the ears rookie under center. There are other styles that will produce results too. The important thing is to find a style and stick with it. Operational schizophrenia where we try to force the offense to be all things to all people isn't going to cut it, we don't have the talent. So figure out what we cah squeeze out of this lot, and work that angle to improve the offense from terrible to merely mediocre. That might even be all we need to do to start winning more games.

Unfortunately though the offseason is a terrible time to figure that out. We don't know what we are, other than awful. We don't know what we have. that's why this is a lost year, we have too many questions that only live football can answer. And that's why it makes no sense to make big offensive purchases now. Only moves that fundamentally improve all facets of the offense, such as upgrades at O-line, or the acquisition of a genuinely talented QB, make true sense right now.

Once we have a chance to figure out what we even are, then other moves make sense. But like I said, that's going to take some honest-to-god football games to figure out. So for right now, the only course of action that actually works for us is to hold our options open, build out the basics, and see where we can go from there. Not sexy for the fanbase, but it has the benefit of being the right decision anyway.
correct. why would they start appeasing us now

When the people are purchasing the tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc., it would be wise to appease the fans. This is a business first.

correct. why would they start appeasing us now
Because everything Kraft does these past few years seems like an attempted PR move. Also season ticket holders are not drinking the koolaid quite as freely as they used to and Kraft definitely cares about the ramifications of that.

2024 will be (and should be rough) don't rush the rebuild, but if they arent competitive/look like they are on the right track in 2025 then this regime should be worried because that would be 2 drafts and 2 FAs which should be enough to see a noticeable difference in the team's performance

Should the fans be forced to buy a ticket when Brady is inducted in the NEP HOF?

1 year contracts ... After that evaluate post draft roster and possible trades ...
Try to give our guys decent contracts while evaluating possible veteran camp cuts ...
can swing trades before that to get those guys first. The blueprint is right there and it's good business
in my opinion ... I don't see a plan to suck ... just a 1 year bridge ... and the plan will go year to year.

I think some fans forget it's first a business ... not a fantasy roster... not a zero sum game.
McDaniels swung for the fences his first year ... decent players but did not move the needle .. not good business.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
There are only three ways to get players - you can draft them, you can sign FAs and you can trade for them.

The reality is that this year the FA offerings on the OL and WR front were meager - all the best players got retained. They took a swing at one lower-level WR1 with history of unreliability and got outbid. Trading for a player typically involves giving up draft picks. This draft, by contrast is good on QB, OL and WR and there is a decent chance we can come away with one of each in the first three rounds.

They actually have spent money - in fact more than most teams - only they spent on retaining their own good players.

So I'm in agreement with the OP - they seem to have a good strategy and are sticking with it. Let's judge after the draft. And more to the point, let's judge in two years when they have had a chance to rebuild a broken roster.

When the people are purchasing the tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc., it would be wise to appease the fans. This is a business first.
Agree- The responsibility of ownership is to field a product in which will generate revenue. Full stop.

NFL teams believe the best way to do that is to a) win games and b) in a fashion which is not only entertaining but also is the best approach to win games.

Acquiring players and coaches which fit that vision and strategy is how you do that.

Acquiring players which will not help the team win nor fit in the fashion in which they want to win just because fans want them is nonsensical.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back