PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OG Conundrum

So, you hope to get better than Becton, Williams and Brown at 34? or even in the 20's if we use a 3rd or 4th to move up? I'm not buying. I'd rather have one of the 3 PLUS drafting another OT in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Besides, if we don't sign a free agent OT, then we will need THREE OT's in the draft.
Becton is damaged goods. Very damaged. And he's ranked behind Smith, Brown, and Onwenu. I wouldn't touch Brown for any amount of money. Tyron Smith is pretty good, but he's also 33 and will command huge money from somebody. I'd rather they resign Onwenu and drafted someone(s).

MY list is much different than yours. Critically, you have left out a starting free safety. Both Dugger and Mills are free agents. Phillips hasn't been playing much and has little left in the tank. Peppers and Bledsoe (who has played almost not at all) is nowhere near enough at safety.

Yeah they definitely need a FS. Also a TE. No one under contract at either spot. My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. I was just pointing out the premium positions they had needs at. FS and TE, comparatively, aren't as valued league wide as those spots I listed. My point was just that they have so many premium positions to fill that keeping Onwenu for RT isn't a bad option to at least fill one of them.

Yeah they definitely need a FS. Also a TE. No one under contract at either spot. My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. I was just pointing out the premium positions they had needs at. FS and TE, comparatively, aren't as valued league wide as those spots I listed. My point was just that they have so many premium positions to fill that keeping Onwenu for RT isn't a bad option to at least fill one of them.
fair enough

So, sign Onwenu and draft some body at 34 to be our start at LT? So, we're counting on the body to start Game One. And who are the backups (Lowe and McDermott)? I think that we need to sign 2 OT's in free agency

But an LT acquired thru the draft is exponentially less money. With a decent shot at being better than what's out there on the open market.
Depends on where we draft a LT and we will likely/should draft a QB at three.

It will take serious work to get to the level of having "an average OL".
Depends. As crazy as it sounds they could just build the oline this year but that would mean passing on a qb or Harrison jr.

Draft a left a Rt and c with first 3 picks.

Trade back to 6 draft Alt/Fashanu, 2nd rounder on RT, aquired 2nd on C JPJ from Oregon. Sign/tag Onwenu rg.

LT Alt/Fashanu, LG Strange, C Jackson Powers Johnson, RG Onwenu, RT Mims/Barton etc.

Thats the quick fix as unpopular as it would be passing on Qb or Wr.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back