PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Sidy Sow Named All-Rookie Team by Pro Football Focus

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Sidy Sow Named All-Rookie Team by Pro Football Focus
Mark Morse
Patriots offensive lineman Sidy Sow was not as bad as he appeared to be. In fact, he was way ahead of any rookie guard in the league and in some evaluations was in the top grade amongst all guards in the league.

The post MORSE: Sidy Sow Named All-Rookie Team by Pro Football Focus appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Morse highlights that Sow is the traditional Patriots OL in that he excels in the gap scheme. Cole Strange, recuperating from I take to be a serious knee injury, was overdrafted based on his elite athleticism to excel in an outside zone scheme.

Total yin and yan.

Can we continue with these two players at guard with such different attributes? Strange could be truly successful on a team like the Broncos. But when asked to go against the best DL in a gap or even an inside zone, he’s only okay.

Sow really struggled at tackle, but improved quite a bit when moved back to his more natural position at guard. I didn't think he particularly did a great job at any position, but with the line so messed up I am not sure most rookie linemen could have been particularly great.

He should be the long term answer at RG, but Belichick drafted him to be a RT. I don't see that happening. Hopefully they will keep Owenu and keep him at RT although he is a better guard than tackle.

To clarify, Sow was an 11-game starter at Left Tackle his true freshman season at EM, then proceeded to start the next 4 seasons at Left Guard,
including his true senior & RS senior seasons. To my knowledge, none of his 55 career starts at EM were on the Right side.

"...When the opposing defense did twists and other type of stunts against Sow, he had trouble switching a picking up the twisting d-lineman. This problem was coaching..."

- Apparently this problem has followed him from college:

"...Normally a rookie 4th round pick is not thrown in with lions, to be devoured right away..."

- Dawand Jones was, in Cleveland... and he's Three years younger than Sow.

I still think TC last year engaged in a host of errors. Trying to reinvent the wheel. For example when Strange was gimpy almost from day one, Why wasn’t Sow plugged into his natural LG as a backup? Did they think James Ferentz or moving RG Chasen Hines from his accustomed position to learn LG was going to pay dividends?

I still think TC last year engaged in a host of errors. Trying to reinvent the wheel. For example when Strange was gimpy almost from day one, Why wasn’t Sow plugged into his natural LG as a backup? Did they think James Ferentz or moving RG Chasen Hines from his accustomed position to learn LG was going to pay dividends?
Sow was injured to start the season

Despite its problems I think they have 3/5 of their OL in place. And while I have no problem with David Andrews they obviously need to be looking for their Center for the future. But if Andrews is able to get back to good form for next year then they will need a starting left tackle, and to keep adding young OL for depth and their future,

Need tackles on both sides. That allows Sow to play LG, Andrews at C, Onwenu RG (if resigned). Strange can move to C when healthy if he beats out Andrews. Mafi is a backup. Need Tackles…that’s the whole plan.

Despite its problems I think they have 3/5 of their OL in place. And while I have no problem with David Andrews they obviously need to be looking for their Center for the future. But if Andrews is able to get back to good form for next year then they will need a starting left tackle, and to keep adding young OL for depth and their future,
Are you including Onwenu? If Onwenu resigns it would be 4/5.

Jake Andrews was drafted as their center of the future. I have no idea how he'll play center, but he looked pretty good at LG against the Jets.

"...Normally a rookie 4th round pick is not thrown in with lions, to be devoured right away..."
People were not happy with the Sow and the other rookie OL players last year should take comfort in this point. They were put a position to struggle because there was no choice. After a year of OJT and another training camp things should look much better next year.

What at ****ty draft pick. Why the hell wasn't BB using his futuristic hindsight goggles for all of the draft picks we don't approve of? I mean they're on Amazon for $20, ****ing cheapskate..

Are you including Onwenu? If Onwenu resigns it would be 4/5.

Jake Andrews was drafted as their center of the future. I have no idea how he'll play center, but he looked pretty good at LG against the Jets.

I agree, I was including Oneenu, but was uncertain about Andrew’s. However Andrews was healthy this past season so I should have included him as a reliable part of next years OL.

So, even though everyone is concerned about LT their OL is in decent shape, and will be in good shape if they fill LT with a good player. And their defense is very good. They can address QB and LT on Day 1 of the Draft, and have the free agent $$$, and the rest of the Draft to really shore up WR. If they get those positions filled with the right players this could be a much better team in 24’, and they could contend for a playoff spot.

People were not happy with the Sow and the other rookie OL players last year should take comfort in this point. They were put a position to struggle because there was no choice. After a year of OJT and another training camp things should look much better next year.
Mafi was thrown in there but has a very long way to go. He gets unbalanced too much so I have questions about him. On the other hand, a better back up than some people from the past.

Sow looks good to me; he battles and has the power to send people backwards.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back