PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After today... This looks like a 9-7 team as of today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team...

He's been kidnapped and tortured by WRONG.....Oh no!!! Either that OR......... Really...dumb assessment...as Tune said WAY too early...

Not sure what the OP means by these wins-losses. It's a moot point wether the Patriots will be a 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, or 12-3 teams. Knock on wood...but I doubt that the team will be suckage this year, as long as you have BB and Brady.

Belichick always for some reason have this team ready and in contention year in and year out...no matter what the situation. Even in 2008...with Cassel as a starter...we were one Brett Favre come back away from making the playoffs.

The question is...are the Patriots good enough to win the Division and elite enough to do some damage in the Playoffs this year. That's what you should be asking...and not about wins and losses...
Exactly, the wins-loss projection thing is so dumb.

Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team..

Baltimore, NYJ, Miami, SD and Indy, are light years better than the us, wheather you like to admit or not...

OK, I'll play along. Certainly none of those teams were "light years better" than the Pats last year. The Pats have much more talent this year without losing anyone of significance. They do need some youngsters to step up, but they have a lot of options...meaning their margin for error is relatively large. What about these other teams?

Ravens - Boldin is fine but who else they got at WR? How are they better than the Pats? Reed is an injury risk and isn't even 100% certain to play again. Other than him, their secondary is weak. Brady had a horrific game in the playoffs. I wouldn't count on that happening every week.

Jets - They were 7-7 after 14 games. For all their acquisitions, the only certain upgrade is at CB (WR only after 4 games). They are a running team with a lead back 6 months younger than Maroney who only has 5 career games with 12+ carries. The DL is questionable. Their new safety is a big hit away from being fed pudding for the rest of his life. And they are breaking in a retread kicker that Dallas couldn't wait to get rid of.

Fins - They have Marshall at WR and who else? You like their OLB situation better than the Pats? The wildcat isn't a big deal anymore and their RBs are question marks.

Chargers - Have holes all over their roster. Their secondary is a heaping pile of mediocrity.

Colts - Can't run or stop the run. Even their GM hates their OL.

All of these teams are good, but they all have faults and question marks entering this season. Just like the Pats do. You are hyper-sensitive to uncertainty for the Pats but totally willing to give other teams the benefit of the doubt.

The Pats have Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo(x2) and a rebuilding Pitt team on the schedule. Most of the remaining schedule is at home. The Pats could be 9-7 or worse, but I wouldn't count on that if they stay relatively healthy.

There will be a year when the Pats don't finish with the best record in the AFC East. Keep predicting it long enough and you will be right eventually. I just wouldn't recommend taking your predictions to Vegas quite yet.

This team will be one of 12 to make the playoffs, As fans, that's all we can really ask for every year, and for the most part we get it.

I have no interest in being part of a fanbase who start acting like Yankees fans - entitled and fattened, bored and predictable, acerbic and full of hubris.

The roster as constituted was already a playoff team, albeit a marginal one due to defensive weaknesses. As the D continues to grow together, with new blood and veterans sprinkled in, this team will rise again... but whether or not they will rise to the level of true SB contender remains to be seen. Enjoy the ride!

All I can say is, this run of success beats years of watching Rod Rust and **** McPherson patrol the sidelines... 3-13, 2-14 year after year.

This team will be one of 12 to make the playoffs, As fans, that's all we can really ask for every year, and for the most part we get it.

I have no interest in being part of a fanbase who start acting like Yankees fans - entitled and fattened, bored and predictable, acerbic and full of hubris.

The roster as constituted was already a playoff team, albeit a marginal one due to defensive weaknesses. As the D continues to grow together, with new blood and veterans sprinkled in, this team will rise again... but whether or not they will rise to the level of true SB contender remains to be seen. Enjoy the ride!

All I can say is, this run of success beats years of watching Rod Rust and **** McPherson patrol the sidelines... 3-13, 2-14 year after year.

If this team makes the playoffs its a succesful season, but when your prob going to have Brady and Moss together for 1 more year, do you think you want to have bigger expectations thats all.. The future of this team and what Belichick has done, is great, but the 06 to 08 drafts are what is hurting this team right now...

Been a fan since 78, I guess when your team has a hall of fame Qb on your roster you should surround him with hall of fame or pro bowl talent... That would be my only frustration... I guess when you dont get excited over every pick or every FA signed or everybody that makes 2 catches a game , and think your team is a few steps behind teams that beat you once, your a anti fan on this board.. But let the chips fall where they may...

I would have to actually agree with you on this point.
if I had my way there'd be nothing but hall of famers and pro bowlers on this team.

I'm not sure why belichick hasn't figured this out.

I'm very bullish about this team next year, especially after this draft. The D is going to be light years better than last year, and we'll see about the offense but Brady alone will make it better. Plus we'll be underdogs each week, at least for the first half of the season, which is a lot better place for this team to be.

The Ravens and Jets will be a challenge but I think we have enough to make a deep run.

I dont care if the Pats do go 9 - 7 as long as they clinch the last AFC wildcard spot and win their last 4 games of the 2010 season.

Victory taste sweeter on the road and it would be a dream come true to b1tchslap the mouthy Jets out of the post season in their house.

I dont care if the Pats do go 9 - 7 as long as they clinch the last AFC wildcard spot and win their last 4 games of the 2010 season.

Victory taste sweeter on the road and it would be a dream come true to b1tchslap the mouthy Jets out of the post season in their house.

Yep. I want them to go 9-7 and in the process have their last two opponents tank the games so they back into the playoffs. Once there, they win twice on the road and win the AFCCG in Indy.

In the SB, Groskowski catches a TD w/ :28 seconds left to put the Pats up 17-14.

Last edited:

And you must of had your homer pie for breakfest lunch and dinner.. The sky is not falling, but its not going to be raising any banners in 10 right now either...

What banner is being contended for in April, Sean... You're spoiled and scared because you don't sense for sure that we're favored to win it all. Guess what, we never are in April...not that it matters. April is the month when all the hype driven frauds are favored to win it all, while aside from the Colts and the Steelers, none of them has has won a damn thing in a decade...

This isn't about being a homer or critic. You're neither. You're a kneejerk who is easily rattled and needs to be reassured. You really post this nonsense so people will talk you through your anxiety and reassure you everything is ok...

OK, I'll play along. Certainly none of those teams were "light years better" than the Pats last year. The Pats have much more talent this year without losing anyone of significance. They do need some youngsters to step up, but they have a lot of options...meaning their margin for error is relatively large. What about these other teams?

Ravens - Boldin is fine but who else they got at WR? How are they better than the Pats? Reed is an injury risk and isn't even 100% certain to play again. Other than him, their secondary is weak. Brady had a horrific game in the playoffs. I wouldn't count on that happening every week.

Jets - They were 7-7 after 14 games. For all their acquisitions, the only certain upgrade is at CB (WR only after 4 games). They are a running team with a lead back 6 months younger than Maroney who only has 5 career games with 12+ carries. The DL is questionable. Their new safety is a big hit away from being fed pudding for the rest of his life. And they are breaking in a retread kicker that Dallas couldn't wait to get rid of.

Fins - They have Marshall at WR and who else? You like their OLB situation better than the Pats? The wildcat isn't a big deal anymore and their RBs are question marks.

Chargers - Have holes all over their roster. Their secondary is a heaping pile of mediocrity.

All of these teams are good, but they all have faults and question marks entering this season. Just like the Pats do. You are hyper-sensitive to uncertainty for the Pats but totally willing to give other teams the benefit of the doubt.

The Pats have Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo(x2) and a rebuilding Pitt team on the schedule. Most of the remaining schedule is at home. The Pats could be 9-7 or worse, but I wouldn't count on that if they stay relatively healthy.

There will be a year when the Pats don't finish with the best record in the AFC East. Keep predicting it long enough and you will be right eventually. I just wouldn't recommend taking your predictions to Vegas quite yet.

Wow. Great post. Why is it that a lot of Pats fans are so quick to point out our faults, but blatanty ignore everyone elses?

Also why do I keep reading things like "The Jets will be tough to beat blah blah blah...."

The Jets have made some interesting moves but they also have a TON of question marks. I don't care what anyone says, I think the downgraded @ RB. Mark Sanchez is really an unknown. He had a roller coaster year last season and he really wasn't even proven in college..he only started 16 games in his entire career. Pete Carroll didn't even think he was ready for the NFL!

The defense is good but we handled them last time we played them and I don't see them being all that much better this year. (I'm not saying they don't have a great defense, I would just argue it may not be better this year, still great, just not greater.)

Nevermind the locker room issues that could come up!

The truth is we can sit here all day and make predictions but most of us will end up being completely wrong anyway!

I can't believe how many people are jumping on the Baltimore, Miami, and NYJ bandwagons saying that they are far and away better than the Pats because of a few big name signings and trades. These teams have just as many problems or questions that the Pats have right now. The only AFC teams that I feel may be ahead of the Pats AT THIS MOMENT are Indy and SD. NY, Balt, Miami, Cincy, Pitt, and Houston are AT BEST even with the Pats.

Baltimore traded for Boldin to improve their WR corps, but they also have huge questions at CB and S (aside from Ed Reed) especially after not addressing either position at the draft. They'll most likely have problems with any team that spreads them out similar to what the Pats did to Minnesota a few years ago. Plus I'm still not sold on Flacco being a top flight QB. People overrate his ability to throw deep (since he usually under throws the ball but has receivers that can adjust to the poorly thrown ball) and he also seemed to regress as the season went along last year. Add in the fact that he has been miserable in the playoffs (5 games / 57 for 120 / 660 yds / 1 TD / 6 INT).

NYJ made a few big name moves by acquiring Cromartie, Holmes, and LT. While these are well known players, LT is on his last legs, Cromartie has played well for only half of one season, and Holmes is facing a suspension (plus he plays opposite of another troubled receiver with stone hands). So none are guaranteed to improve the team. At the same time, they decided to weaken the power run game that they relied on last year by releasing Jones and Faneca and may also damage their run stopping capabilities if the rumors are true and they release both Ellis and Thomas. Also, Sanchez hasn't proven anything yet (and I'm not so sure he'll turn into a top 8 QB), and will have to take a much greater role if the running game takes a step back. Plus it feels as though people forget that the only reason the Jets made the playoffs last year was because both the Colts and Bengals laid down because the games were meaningless to them.

Miami has had an offseason similar to the Jets although I think that they may be in a better position than the Jets. They brought in a few big name players (Dansby and Marshall - both of which are better than the players NYJ acquired), but they are also facing high turnover at some defensive positions (like OLB where they lost their top two pass rushers). Although I did like how their draft focus was to improve the depth of the defense. Ronnie Brown is also coming off another severe injury. His return will help, but he may no longer be the same explosive player. In addition to all of that, they also have an unproven QB leading their offense in Henne. Henne has shown flashes of being a top flight QB and has good targets in Marshall, Bess, Camarillo, and company.

Amen. I don't know why I just spent 25 minutes typing my last post because all I had to do was quote this post. In my time lurking this board for years, recently way too many people constantly overreact to the Pats problems or decisions, but seem to forget that every other team is facing similar dilemmas.

The future looks bright, but the team is still lacking some weapons to be a threat in the AFC in 2010...

Its a fair opinion. I can't argure that the Pats are going to be on top of the AFC in 2010.

I am encouraged however that the team is trending in the right direction talent-wise/draft-wise and they are drafting good team leader types to hopefully fill the leadership void left by Bruschi, Vrabel, McGuinest, & Rodney.

The future looks bright, but the team is still lacking some weapons to be a threat in the AFC in 2010...

Right now we might be the 5th or 6th best team..

Baltimore, NYJ, Miami, SD and Indy, are light years better than the us, wheather you like to admit or not...

Yes we have Brady, and Belichick but there are still some questions...

OLB- is a huge question mark... , RB who is the back??? and yes WR is a issue..

Why is WR a issue - what will Randy Moss be??? how long is Welker out?? is Holt the next Gaffney or Galloway???, Edleman and Tate ,espically Tate is a huge question mark at best... Cant expect Pryce or Patten to be the awnser...

OLB starters right now are TBC, Nikovitch and Woods... Dont tell me Cunningham will be the starting OLB week 1... He is a year away yet...
I couldt agree more with most of what u say here...great post.....however, disagree that Baltimore will be favorite in afc.....feel that early honor goes to the hated jets.

We have done nothing to bolster our questionable running game, and our weak off line issues.....light and kaczur are turnstiles and almost got Brady killed last year.....lastly, WR position is far from settled......well not back until end of season........moss lost step last year and seems to have a half ASSED approach and takes downs off

Why is WR a issue - what will Randy Moss be??? how long is Welker out?? is Holt the next Gaffney or Galloway???, Edleman and Tate ,espically Tate is a huge question mark at best... Cant expect Pryce or Patten to be the awnser...

OLB starters right now are TBC, Nikovitch and Woods... Dont tell me Cunningham will be the starting OLB week 1... He is a year away yet...

As a AFC fav, its the ravens, and we have a chance in the divison, but there are too many questions and key spots to say we are a super bowl or even a playoff team right now...

Exactly how did the 9-7 (8-8 without a gift) Jets, 7-9 Dolphins and 9-7 Ravens just become LIGHT YEARS better than us?
Could it be that you are picking every possible question and saying it makes us weak, yet ignoring the questions of those teams?
How did the Ravens all of sudden become the favorite in the AFC? Did Goddell rule they aren't allowed to have question marks and all of their players must improve?

It is what it is but to rifle the Pats for any possible weakness and ignore that the other teams have weaknesses is just obtuse.
What did the Dolphins do to go from a losing team to light years better than 9-7 by the way?

I figured the relative quiet here this afternoon was like the lull before the storm of whiners got their second wind. No surprise who is leading the charge. The executive VP of the sky is falling contingent...Sean is off his anxiety meds again. And as is always the case, misery loves company...

:youtheman: ............ :yeahthat:

As a AFC fav, its the ravens, and we have a chance in the divison, but there are too many questions and key spots to say we are a super bowl or even a playoff team right now...

I would like to nominate this post for Dumbest Post of the Month.

Ol' Trash Man, Ol' Trash Man, Where art thou Trash Man?

I can't believe how many people are jumping on the Baltimore, Miami, and NYJ bandwagons saying that they are far and away better than the Pats because of a few big name signings and trades. These teams have just as many problems or questions that the Pats have right now. The only AFC teams that I feel may be ahead of the Pats AT THIS MOMENT are Indy and SD. NY, Balt, Miami, Cincy, Pitt, and Houston are AT BEST even with the Pats.

Baltimore traded for Boldin to improve their WR corps, but they also have huge questions at CB and S (aside from Ed Reed) especially after not addressing either position at the draft. They'll most likely have problems with any team that spreads them out similar to what the Pats did to Minnesota a few years ago. Plus I'm still not sold on Flacco being a top flight QB. People overrate his ability to throw deep (since he usually under throws the ball but has receivers that can adjust to the poorly thrown ball) and he also seemed to regress as the season went along last year. Add in the fact that he has been miserable in the playoffs (5 games / 57 for 120 / 660 yds / 1 TD / 6 INT).

NYJ made a few big name moves by acquiring Cromartie, Holmes, and LT. While these are well known players, LT is on his last legs, Cromartie has played well for only half of one season, and Holmes is facing a suspension (plus he plays opposite of another troubled receiver with stone hands). So none are guaranteed to improve the team. At the same time, they decided to weaken the power run game that they relied on last year by releasing Jones and Faneca and may also damage their run stopping capabilities if the rumors are true and they release both Ellis and Thomas. Also, Sanchez hasn't proven anything yet (and I'm not so sure he'll turn into a top 8 QB), and will have to take a much greater role if the running game takes a step back. Plus it feels as though people forget that the only reason the Jets made the playoffs last year was because both the Colts and Bengals laid down because the games were meaningless to them.

Miami has had an offseason similar to the Jets although I think that they may be in a better position than the Jets. They brought in a few big name players (Dansby and Marshall - both of which are better than the players NYJ acquired), but they are also facing high turnover at some defensive positions (like OLB where they lost their top two pass rushers). Although I did like how their draft focus was to improve the depth of the defense. Ronnie Brown is also coming off another severe injury. His return will help, but he may no longer be the same explosive player. In addition to all of that, they also have an unproven QB leading their offense in Henne. Henne has shown flashes of being a top flight QB and has good targets in Marshall, Bess, Camarillo, and company.

The only wildcard for 2010 is Brady's return to form.

If we get pre ACL Brady back, our improvement is greater than the Jets/Ravens/Dolphins combined.

No team in the AFC is within 14 points.

The OP needs to take captain stone, Hey Bro, Condom 84, snake bit and the other class clowns anf take uop more worthwhile pursuits.

I would suggest searching for Sasquatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back