PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind was changed today…

I keep hearing this but then would you draft a QB that has nobody to throw to? If you get MHJ, you can find a QB, even if its a free agent veteran, or maybe make some trades with picks and get one with the second pick. Both positions are hard to find so I would take the best player of either position at the pick.
As badly as we need a QB, if there is a “can’t miss” generational player there, and a QB who looks good, but there are concerns, you have to take the generational player.

Too many top QB picks fail.

We can find a QB in rounds 2-4. Maybe you will have more luck with someone who doesn’t feel entitled.

As badly as we need a QB, if there is a “can’t miss” generational player there, and a QB who looks good, but there are concerns, you have to take the generational player.

Too many top QB picks fail.

We can find a QB in rounds 2-4. Maybe you will have more luck with someone who doesn’t feel entitled.

There are no generational players than can impact the game the same way a very solid QB can impact the game. Look at some of the top non-QB players - Myles Garrett, Justin Jefferson, TJ Watt, Joey Bosa, Micah Parsons, etc. A very good QB can win with average players. A top WR/OT/DT etc can’t win without a great QB.

There are no generational players than can impact the game the same way a very solid QB can impact the game. Look at some of the top non-QB players - Myles Garrett, Justin Jefferson, TJ Watt, Joey Bosa, Micah Parsons, etc. A very good QB can win with average players. A top WR/OT/DT etc can’t win without a great QB.
And you make a solid point.

You can’t draft what isn’t there though, and wishing doesn’t make it so.

I am not saying these QBs will fail, I am just pointing out there has been an alarmingly high failures among highly drafted QBs, and if you miss, you will be back next year to try again.

The Rats have made it an art form.

In the meantime you missed out on John Alt or Marvin Harrison Jr, and you get to watch them excelling elsewhere and wonder “why can’t we get guys like that”?

One OL doesn’t fix the line.
Sort of…

We are talking Left Tackle.

Zero FA available, and the toughest spot ton fill.

They can find G/C in FA when needed but not a LT.

Too crucial.

Also expensive in FA sort of like WR’s.

Draft a great LT, fill the rest, bring in an excellent OL coach, THEN get the QB and upgrade skill spots.

To me, economics make LT, WR disproportionally important to draft.

RB would be the cheapest thing to find in FA on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Remember how poor Mahomes looked at times in early years because he took a BEATING from a terrible OL. NO qb would look good in out current backfield with 1.6 seconds to get rid of the ball.

Now, of you truly believe any of the three QB’s available are TRULY generational…take him. But history says none of them likely are.

So the 3 big needs:
LT
QB
Number 1 Receiver
Can we get all three in the next draft and/or FA? We do have a lot of money.

The issue with the "you don't need a QB in the top 5" is that you have years like 2021

Yup. To people who think BB and TB played equal roles in the 6 SBs - I present two scenarios. One is Brady at his peak and yours truly as head coach. The other is Belichick at his peak and yours truly as QB. The first scenario is a SB contender. I’ll be hands off and let the coordinators do their thing. I’ll make in game decisions based on the analytics. I’ll study time management.

The second scenario is the worst team in NFL history.
Lulz. That‘s maybe a wild card team at best. More likely outside the playoffs looking in, as your Dunning Kruger playbook discovers all the things you don’t know you don’t know.

Second scenario is probably a playoff contender after your injury puts you on the sidelines midway through the first game.

I keep hearing this but then would you draft a QB that has nobody to throw to? If you get MHJ, you can find a QB, even if its a free agent veteran, or maybe make some trades with picks and get one with the second pick. Both positions are hard to find so I would take the best player of either position at the pick.

The most difficult position to fill is QB, and it’s not even close to any other position. And the likelihood of filling it via trade or free agency is as remote as it gets, unless you think Carson Wentz is goi g to miraculously become good again. And WR is a much easier position to fill, as a number of teams have more than one really good WR, e.g…Cincy ( Chase and Higgins) Miami ( Hill and Waddle) . The only way I would go WR is if I was convinced the QB’s would bust, and the receiver was the next Randy Moss.

Sort of…

We are talking Left Tackle.

Zero FA available, and the toughest spot ton fill.

They can find G/C in FA when needed but not a LT.

Too crucial.

Also expensive in FA sort of like WR’s.

Draft a great LT, fill the rest, bring in an excellent OL coach, THEN get the QB and upgrade skill spots.

To me, economics make LT, WR disproportionally important to draft.

RB would be the cheapest thing to find in FA on the opposite end of that spectrum.

QB is the most difficult position to fill, and the most important position on the team. Taking a tackle when you have a top 5 pick and no QB is like getting homeowners insurance when you don’t own a home,

QB is the most difficult position to fill, and the most important position on the team. Taking a tackle when you have a top 5 pick and no QB is like getting homeowners insurance when you don’t own a home,
LOL, that is a good analogy. If the team likes the available QB, then it is a no brainer to bring him in with the pick. Choosing a QB that is the best available with many questions in the scouting room is not the best option. Bringing in a Bruce Armstrong type to lead the team in the locker room and field will make a big difference, even with a bridge QB.

LOL, that is a good analogy. If the team likes the available QB, then it is a no brainer to bring him in with the pick. Choosing a QB that is the best available with many questions in the scouting room is not the best option. Bringing in a Bruce Armstrong type to lead the team in the locker room and field will make a big difference, even with a bridge QB.

A “ bridge” to what QB? Your best shot at getting the QB you really want is with a really high first round pick, after that it’s a crapshoot. There are franchises that go decades without finding a QB to make them a contender. And every pick you go down in the draft order just makes it that much harder to get the one you want.

I am and always have been someone who believes in taking the best player available, not drafting for position. But the exception to that is when you have dogshit at QB, which is where they are at right now. And taking Harrison only to have to then get Baker Mayfield or Andy Dalton to throw to him is a complete waste of a pick.They are going to have a really high pick, and there are good QB prospects at the top of this class, so if anything I want them to trade up to take the one they like the most.

every year there are "good qb prospects" at the top of the draft. and every year 80% of them fail. i'm not a proponent of taking a QB just because you need one. only if you BELIEVE in that player. 2021 draft was generational! and every QB stinks to high heaven.

Bryce young was a great prospect. i'm sure carolina is regretting that pick...

meanwhile, kansas city was winning going to the playoffs with a solid roster and alex smith, took mahomes at 10.....san fran was winning making playoffs with Jimmy g, threw darts at lance/purdy and ended up with purdy in a solid situation.

QB is the most important, but building an elite roster around them is just as important if not more so. not sure mahomes/purdy succeed on this roster. or at least not to the extent they are on their teams.

BUT if scouting doesn't think any of these top 2 guys are "the guy" taking one just because you need one is not good drafting. thats how you end up with trubisky. and fans on this board in revisionist history saying "should've drafted harrison! the gm sucks"

How often have the top 3 QBs all panned out, or even the top 2?

History says that taking a QB with a top pick, doesn’t mean you will get one.

You are just as likely to get fools gold.
Yup
The top 3 are 50-50 at best to be top 10 QB's/

OPTION 1
Draft top QB's until you hit on one.

OPTION 2
Pay 2 or 3 firsts and $40M a year to trade for one.

OPTION 3
Draft lower level QB's and have a much, much, much low probability of getting a top 10 QB.
================
Yes, we need to evaluate the top QB's. As of now, the best option is to draft a QB with our pick at 1, 2 or 3.

No. There aren't any good LT in FA. A #1 WR isn't hitting the market either.
Our free agency money will be used to re-sign our own, and of course sign a DB or two to replace Dugger, Mills and/or Jackson.

every year there are "good qb prospects" at the top of the draft. and every year 80% of them fail. i'm not a proponent of taking a QB just because you need one. only if you BELIEVE in that player. 2021 draft was generational! and every QB stinks to high heaven.
Absolutely. Great post.
Bryce young was a great prospect. i'm sure carolina is regretting that pick...
And Carolina gave up this years 1st round pick which could have been Williams, Maye, or Daniels. Very foolish move IMO.
meanwhile, kansas city was winning going to the playoffs with a solid roster and alex smith, took mahomes at 10.....san fran was winning making playoffs with Jimmy g, threw darts at lance/purdy and ended up with purdy in a solid situation.

QB is the most important, but building an elite roster around them is just as important if not more so. not sure mahomes/purdy succeed on this roster. or at least not to the extent they are on their teams.
KC's receiving core is pretty bad. I think Mahomes succeeds anywhere.
BUT if scouting doesn't think any of these top 2 guys are "the guy" taking one just because you need one is not good drafting. thats how you end up with trubisky. and fans on this board in revisionist history saying "should've drafted harrison! the gm sucks"
Great post. Solid pointing. Pragmatic and "learning from history so we don't repeat it".

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back