PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind was changed today…

palialka

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Right or wrong, I was firmly in the “draft a franchise QB” camp until today. After watching our OL against the Chiefs, it has become clear to me that we need to draft a LT with our top pick. Brown isn’t the guy and McDermott sucks. They’ve been getting our QBs killed all year and that won’t be any different for a rookie QB next season.

I believe we should bring in a veteran next season as a bridge QB and focus on improving the OL through the draft and FA.

There are 2 LTs in the upcoming draft who are rated as Top 5 picks so I think one of them should be our guy.

The only way we should use our #1 pick on a QB is if we believe 100% that one of the top 3 QBs is the future of the franchise .

What do you all think? Let’s discuss…

Last edited:
I’m with you, OP. I don’t want to watch a young qb hit the deck à la Carr w Texas…

Get weapons. Harrison or OT. Then get more offensive talent at the top of the second round.

Or better still, trade down (only a few spots) and gather capital while keeping a top 10 pick. Get talent.

Trade down, accumate picks in the 1st/2nd rounds to address OL. Take a developmental QB, sign a vet QB.

Build the team from inside out starting with the OL. Look at the Lions, Eagles.

Hire Ben Johnson and a new GM.

These won't be sexy moves but will build the team for the future.

Pats fans are obsessed with a QB. « Can’t win without a QB ». Pfft.

SF is the best team in the league with Purdy - who is good, but hardly a first overall.

Allen is supposedly good : teams with better records going into this week - Indy with Minshew / Cleveland with Flacco / Cindy with a newb…

Hurts is a second rounder, Dak (who is horse crap today) was drafted in the fourth. Brady was a 6th rounder and Russell Wilson wasn’t taken early either. List goes on.

Who are the first rounders ? Mahomes. Awesome player. Herbert, overrated. Mac, Zach, Fields, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones….

Allen and Burrows and Lawrence are VG but each has flaws, none are likely SB winners any time soon.

Trade down, accumate picks in the 1st/2nd rounds to address OL. Take a developmental QB, sign a vet QB.

Build the team from inside out starting with the OL. Look at the Lions, Eagles.

Hire Ben Johnson and a new GM.

These won't be sexy moves but will build the team for the future.
I think something like this is the logical way forward.

This rebuild is not a quick fix action.

What’s up in the air now is who’s going to be making these decisions. TBH, I don’t know a lot about Ben Johnson but I definitely don’t want BB in charge of this.

If OLs the plan we need to trade down and accumulate maybe a 2nd rounder this year and a 25 first.

I would still take my shot on a qb if there’s a guy on the board you think is special.

Only player in the draft id take over Joe Alt is Williams.

You build around a QB, not a tackle. This is your first and hopefully only chance to draft in the top 5 in decades and you NEED to swing for the fences for a QB to compete with the star AFC quarterbacks for years to come. A good offensive line can be built without using a top 5 pick on a lineman. You almost certainly won’t get a franchise QB any other way.

Right or wrong, I was firmly in the “draft a franchise QB” camp until today. After watching our OL against the Chiefs, it has become clear to me that we need to draft a LT with our top pick. Brown isn’t the guy and McDermott sucks. They’ve been getting our QBs killed all year and that won’t be any different for a rookie QB next season.

I believe we should bring in a veteran next season as a bridge QB and focus on improving the OL through the draft and FA.

There are 2 LTs in the upcoming draft who are rated as Top 5 picks so I think one of them should be our guy.

The only way we should use our #1 pick on a QB is if we believe 100% that one of the top 3 QBs is the future of the franchise .

You can draft tackles outside of the 1st round. You can draft them in the 2nd round.

You can't draft good QBs outside the 1st round. Go back and look. Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy. 2 out of a zillion in the last 15 yrs. Good luck with that.

There are no good tackles available in FA.

The Patriots have already expended a heap of draft picks at OL, and the interior of the OL is stocked well. Onwenu needs to be signed to play RT.

The Patriots should take a tackle in the 2nd and one as a backup tackle later on.

Of course, this means the Patriots once again do NOT take a WR in the 1st round nor the 2nd round.

Bailey Jones. This team needs just about everything offensively. This has been the problem all season long. Each week is nothing more than an emphatic reminder to us the fans, and more importantly Ownership. I love everything Bill had done in his 23 seasons. But it's time. This current roster has taken the hope and belief that Bill can build another winning team. He takes no accountability in his pressers each week.. the act is old, as fan I'm sick of it personally. Thank you Bill I appreciate you but it's time to move on. We need a talented GM with real offensive prowess to get this roster up-to-date to NFL standards.

For me ... if it were possible ...

Trade down and get Alt or Fashanu .... then use draft capitol if needed to grab McCarthy ...
Risky because McCarthy could go top-10 ... rumor has it the Raiders like him ... then top WR left on the board.
This scenario is possible with a trade down with the Commanders ... they have extra picks in 2nd and 3rd.

draft offense on day1 and day 2
select no ST only players
this would be a good start since the offense free agents are rarely good classes at OT and WR or QB
And top defenses can't lead a team like a competent offense can

WE need a QB and a couple o-linemen, I'd get the QB first and either sign a free agent and/or draft on with one of the top picks. I agree we need both, but we can't whiff on another QB pick.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back