PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After today... This looks like a 9-7 team as of today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: After today... Still a 9-7 team..

Mike Wright- 9 starts (primarily because of injuries)
Damione Lewis- 16 starts (on the Panthers), you really think he would have started on the Pats?
Gerard Warren- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
Myron Pryor- 0 starts

These guys arent NFL starters, the Panthers and the Raiders were terrible and needed guys to start, they probably wouldnt have started on any other team. I am very confident Odrick is better than any of the 4 that you named. Springs and Butler are certainly better than all of those guys and maybe Wheatley. Odrick would have a much better chance of starting on this team than McCourty would.

OK, I'll play along.
Bodden started for the 0-16 Lions and wouldnt have started for any other team except us, because all of our other corners were pathetic.
See the pointlessness of your argument?

I see many posters saying "well they were almost a 12 win team last year" - but #1 - they WEREN'T and #2 - what does last year's schedule have to do with this years??

They have to play THIS YEAR'S schedule - against THIS YEARS opposition.

You might not agree with Sean Pats prediction, but the reality is that we've got a killer schedule next season, and no one would suggest the Jets and Miami have gotten worse... even the biggest Patriot Homer would agree they've improved.

So I've got news - 6-0 in the Division is not a slam dunk.

3-3 is a very realistic possibility - and that's not a knock against the Patriots.

Nor is it High Treason to suggest that their zig zagging country tour as they play Baltimore, go to San Diego, and come home to play the Vikings is 3 automatic wins.

I would be FAR from shocked if they wound up splitting their division games and found themselves on the losing end of as many as 4 games against the Ravens, Colts, Steelers, Chargers. Vikings and Bengals.

That's a very feasible 7 losses for anyone counting and assumes they win all other games including visiting Detroit on 3 days rest. I'm not predicting that, but I wouldn't be shocked if we saw it, nor would I flame Sean Pats for suggesting the notion that we have a killer schedule and our Division is improved.

what do you think about miami's schedule and the jets' schedule?

That's a very feasible 7 losses for anyone counting and assumes they win all other games including visiting Detroit on 3 days rest. I'm not predicting that, but I wouldn't be shocked if we saw it, nor would I flame Sean Pats for suggesting the notion that we have a killer schedule and our Division is improved.

The Lions are on short rest too so I like our chances.

OK, I'll play along.
Bodden started for the 0-16 Lions and wouldnt have started for any other team except us, because all of our other corners were pathetic.
See the pointlessness of your argument?

OK Bodden for the 0-16 Lions: 11 pass defended, 1 INT, 61 tackles

Then Lewis for the Panthers: .5 sacks, 29 tackles

Then Warren on the Raiders: 2 sacks, 25 tackles

Bodden performed much better than the other two and Bodden would have started for plenty of other teams in the league, he was probably the 2nd best CB in FA this off season

Bodden performed much better than the other two and Bodden would have started for plenty of other teams in the league, he was probably the 2nd best CB in FA this off season

So you agree then that the fact Warren was on the Raiders and Lewis on the Panthers is irrelevent to the discussion.
That was my point.
Aside from that, I dont know how a corner making a lot of tackles on an 0-16 team means anything regarding his talent.

Oh, and the Panthers were 8-8 with the 9th ranked defense in the NFL.
(The Jets were 9-7 with the 8th and the Dolphins 7-9 with the 22nd or something like that, so I guess every player on those 2 defenes sucks?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Seymour had 30 tackles and 4 sacks playing DE (which should get a lot more sacks than a DT) next to Warren. Does he suck too?

Gerard Warren- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
You are trying too hard to say that everything Pats do is worthless, and have lost all common sense. Now you are saying that a player is no good becasue his starts were for the Raiders?

What does the team he plays for have to do with his abiilty?

Just think for a minute what you are saying.

Richard Seymour - 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
Nnamdi Asomugha- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
Randy Moss- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.

Not saying that Warren in a probowl player, or that he will even make the team. Just saying that the Pats signed someone who may or may not work out. Why the need to trash Warren by saying that playing for the Raiders means he can't help the Pats?

Odrick is ready to start because the Dolphins need him to start on their DL.

Miami has both of their starting DEs back, plus their top reserve, Merling, who was a 2nd rounder a year ago.
Do you think about anything you post or just make it up and hope no one notices?

As for Bryant, he does have top 5 talent, but reports are he has a 10 cent head (and not just his off the field problems). Word was that they had to dumb down the playbook for him in college and we have seen with plenty of guys the Pats' playbook is very complicated (see Joey Galloway, Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel, etc.).

I contend that both Bryant and Hughes could end up becoming huge superstars with their respective teams, but if the Pats drafted them that the results may not have been remotely the same. Neither were great fits for the Pats because Bryant seems too dumb and Hughes is too small.

Bryant also apparently has an irregular heartbeat, so that scared some teams off. Nobody wants to draft the next Gaines Adams.

Miami has both of their starting DEs back, plus their top reserve, Merling, who was a 2nd rounder a year ago.
Do you think about anything you post or just make it up and hope no one notices?

The Dolphins are changing their defense this season and arent going to be strictly a 3-4 defense, they are going to start to move to a 4-3 and they feel that Odrick can play both inside and outside on the line. It is very likely that he will start.

Why do you have like 5 different responses to my posts? It clogs up the board and people dont want to have to scroll through it all

You are trying too hard to say that everything Pats do is worthless, and have lost all common sense. Now you are saying that a player is no good becasue his starts were for the Raiders?

What does the team he plays for have to do with his abiilty?

Just think for a minute what you are saying.

Richard Seymour - 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
Nnamdi Asomugha- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.
Randy Moss- 16 starts, on the Raiders. Enough said.

Not saying that Warren in a probowl player, or that he will even make the team. Just saying that the Pats signed someone who may or may not work out. Why the need to trash Warren by saying that playing for the Raiders means he can't help the Pats?

I am not saying anything about these players not making the team or anything or even saying that these were bad signings. I am just saying that when a player starts for a very bad team it doesnt make him as good as a first round pick in some cases. This whole thing is being blown way out of porportion. My argument is that the Patriots have many holes and should have used their first round pick to get a starter that could address one of those holes. I didnt feel that the CB position was a need that needed immediate addressing and therefore the first round pick could have been used more wisely

The Dolphins are changing their defense this season and arent going to be strictly a 3-4 defense, they are going to start to move to a 4-3 and they feel that Odrick can play both inside and outside on the line. It is very likely that he will start.

Why do you have like 5 different responses to my posts? It clogs up the board and people dont want to have to scroll through it all

So now they have 4 34 DEs with nowhere to play in the 43?
Man you will walk a mile to avoid facts.

what do you think about miami's schedule and the jets' schedule?

What does their schedule have to do with our schedule.

I know they play the Patriots twice a year. What else matters in regard to our schedule?

What does their schedule have to do with our schedule.

I know they play the Patriots twice a year. What else matters in regard to our schedule?
They play in the AFC East. Everything the Bills, Dolphins and Jets do matters in context.

Well before some people who like to jump down my throat... I offer you the shots to take... Mea a culpa.- I was wrrrrrong... `Yes i underestimated what Belichick and Brady could do this year.. I think what the problem was the club house and he cleaned it out.. still no pass rush, and that may come back to bite them in the playoffs... But as of Dec 7th.. The Pats are only 1 of 2 teams that are 10-2... Im so glad i was wrong, i will still pick against them in the pick em contest for the opposite factor, but very proud the team has risen up and now will be even more solid when we fix the pass rush, and o line next year... This team is in great hands, and lets enjoy this ride, going to be a fun next few months...

I also thought Miami would be better and the jets would take that jump, the trading of Randy Moss has become a great asset, because that week 2 game he was so focused on moss and all of last year had to try to keep him happy... Like i said glad i was wrong., but for those who want to jump on me take your shots...

In April I looked at this team and saw 9 and 7 or 7 and 9. This is why I sit at a desk and don't make any money evaluating talent.

In April I looked at this team and saw 9 and 7 or 7 and 9. This is why I sit at a desk and don't make any money evaluating talent.

I think this was a very hard team to get a bead on, because it isn't about evaluating talent per se. This is the ultimate "whole greater than the sum of its parts" team. They're dominating with precise, disciplined teamwork.

FWIW, in April I expected a team that would be inconsistent for the first 8-10 games because of youth but had a chance to be playing well late in the year. So what amazes me most is not the way they're playing now, but the fact that they strung together enough wins during their training-wheels games to put them in prime position now.

I think this was a very hard team to get a bead on, because it isn't about evaluating talent per se. This is the ultimate "whole greater than the sum of its parts" team. They're dominating with precise, disciplined teamwork.

FWIW, in April I expected a team that would be inconsistent for the first 8-10 games because of youth but had a chance to be playing well late in the year. So what amazes me most is not the way they're playing now, but the fact that they strung together enough wins during their training-wheels games to put them in prime position now.

Nicely put!

Many things came together. Brady signed his contract -- so no distractions. The 2010 draft is shaping is up as an all-time great. Gronk, Hernandez and McCourty are now deemed first round talents by experts like Gosselin and Don Banks. Then of course, as Patchick suggests everything came together nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes