PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A theory for discussion: BB interest in Peppers a ruse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this theory is that in the past, he was inflating a players value. There is now way to inflate Peppers value. This guy is as solid as they come.
He isn't getting a team to take an overvalued draft pick ahead of him, thus leaving quality guys to slide.
Before you say that his salary would hinder a team... realize that BB could do NOTHING and some team would spend a ton of money on him. Heck, the Panthers already are.
Also, for a team to be a pure Patriots rival, they would ahve to be an AFC team at the least (AFC East is optimal) and as far as we know, the Pats are the only AFC team he would go to.

I think many are missing the point.

This isn't necessarilly about Peppers - BB could leak information as a ruse to help in negotiations with another player.

Is it really so tough to imagine Belichick having an interest in - hypothetically of course - someone like Jason Taylor?

And let's say that Taylor is playing a little bit of hardball with salary demands - obviously not demanding Peppers type money but something higher than Belichick wants to pay.

Is it really so far out of the realm of possibility that Belichick might have some interest in letting Taylor think that he's seriously considering Peppers rather than Taylor?

Or am I really the only person who thinks this sort of thing goes on in the NFL - particularly with Belichick?

Last edited:
Joe - I was wondering the same exact thing yesterday...maybe he was trying to get Jason Taylor off the sideline, so-to-speak.

I think many are missing the point.

This isn't necessarilly about Peppers - BB could leak information as a ruse to help in negotiations with another player.

Is it really so tough to imagine Belichick having an interest in - hypothetically of course - someone like Jason Taylor?

And let's say that Taylor is playing a little bit of hardball with salary demands - obviously not demanding Peppers type money but something higher than Belichick wants to play.

Is it really so far out of the realm of possibility that Belichick might have some interest in letting Taylor think that he's seriously considering Peppers rather than Taylor?

Or am I really the only person who thinks this sort of thing goes on in the NFL - particularly with Belichick?

I can see your point, but I just think Belichick's interest in Peppers is legit. When he drafted Mayo he said something like "Anyone who knows me knows that I've been saying we need to get younger and faster at linebacker since 2001 (or so)". I think he loves Jason Taylor, but I think he'd rather go for the younger guy. Actually, I think he'd rather have both...

I think Thursday's Big Show interview on WEEI will answer this question. Peppers didn't sign the tender so Belichick should be able to freely talk about him. I suspect if it is a ruse then he will talk about Peppers. If he doesn't say anything then I suspect there is really something in the works.

I can see your point, but I just think Belichick's interest in Peppers is legit.

You may certainly be right - he could truly be interested in Peppers.

I'm just pointing out that it's no more a conspiracy theory to think the Belichick might use such a ruse to get another player to sign for a reasonable amount, than it would be to think that Belichick might actually want to sign Peppers.

This isn't grassy knoll stuff regardless of what some fans think - it happens quite often.

IMO, this has more to do with Jason Taylor than it does with inflating Peppers.

I think it could be a bit of both..if there was a way to get Peppers at agood prive and not oberturn the apple cart..then maybe that is possible..but also..it may wake yp JT...so it could be a lil bit of both..taking opportunity of Peppers...as he has said NE is one of the teams he wishes to go to..so?? I doubt fans will really know...BB is a great poker player..

You may certainly be right - he could truly be interested in Peppers.

I'm just pointing out that it's no more a conspiracy theory to think the Belichick might use such a ruse to get another player to sign for a reasonable amount, than it would be to think that Belichick might actually want to sign Peppers.

This isn't grassy knoll stuff regardless of what some fans think - it happens quite often.

The grassy knoll stuff is that a segment of this board always assumes it is BB pulling the wool over everyone's eyes no matter how unlikely or in some cases flat out ridiculous the theory is. That theory gets extended to everything that goes on - from a report the team is interested in a player to Tom Brady walking down the street with a cast after the AFC title game. It is all part of the mad scientists master plan for NFL domination. Good thing the Giants never caught on to the ruse!

The benefit to the Pats of driving up Peppers price for the NFC East teams he has said he is willing to play for is so small it barely even registers. The driving down Jason Taylor's price and getting him to sign quickly theory only makes sense if you think the Pats are the only team interested in him or the only team he is willing to play for - both unlikely situations as well.

In this case, Peppers agent makes much more sense as the source of the story - true or not true. Peppers is the one who benefits the most if interest in him goes up. Agents have been floating the Pats name out there for their clients at this time of year simply because BB doesn't repsond to it. Rosenhaus worked 1 legged Willis McGahee into a first round pick by doing it. Carolina floating the rumor makes 100 times more sense than BB doing it. But then since those are simple answers, there has to be more to it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The grassy knoll stuff is that a segment of this board always assumes it is BB pulling the wool over everyone's eyes no matter how unlikely or in some cases flat out ridiculous the theory is. That theory gets extended to everything that goes on - from a report the team is interested in a player to Tom Brady walking down the street with a cast after the AFC title game. It is all part of the mad scientists master plan for NFL domination. Good thing the Giants never caught on to the ruse!

The benefit to the Pats of driving up Peppers price for the NFC East teams he has said he is willing to play for is so small it barely even registers. The driving down Jason Taylor's price and getting him to sign quickly theory only makes sense if you think the Pats are the only team interested in him or the only team he is willing to play for - both unlikely situations as well.

In this case, Peppers agent makes much more sense as the source of the story - true or not true. Peppers is the one who benefits the most if interest in him goes up. Agents have been floating the Pats name out there for their clients at this time of year simply because BB doesn't repsond to it. Rosenhaus worked 1 legged Willis McGahee into a first round pick by doing it. Carolina floating the rumor makes 100 times more sense than BB doing it. But then since those are simple answers, there has to be more to it. :rolleyes:

You're making some assumptions here as well

1.) That Peppers or his agent would refuse to listen to any other team offers, aside from the teams they've cited they're interested in.

In a great many situations, players have had a change of heart when teams not on their preferred list offer substantially more money. That list, to me, was "agent-speak" for - "if other teams want Peppers they're going to have to really pay a lot."

There's plenty of examples of this happening in the NFL. Let's not be so naive as to think he'd not listen to another team if the price was right.

2.) As you correctly noted it's wrong to assume that the Patriots' are leaking the information.

3.) You're assuming that if the Patriots are leaking the information, its to drive up Peppers price and interest in Peppers. Again, noting #1 - if the Pats prompted an AFC rival to expend those funds for Peppers it could be to their advantage - but let's not assume that's the issue here.

As noted the most likely interest that the Patriots would have is related to Jason Taylor, and contract negotiations with him.

What better way to provide some negotiating leverage and prompt a decision from Taylor than to let a rumor leak out that they're close to consummating a deal with Peppers?

Is that really so far fetched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back