PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Discussion: Let's RESTACK for Day 2 - Best of the Rest

It feels more like the 4th round picks help compensate for the brain farts in round 2. LOL. But yes the 4th round track record feels better than the 2nd round, even though that shouldn't be the case because you're literally picking later in the draft.
I agree. From reading War Games by Michael Holley a while back, my understanding is that Belichick views the 2nd round as a “Yeah, but” round - meaning players who could be first rounders, but for some red flag. He’s willing to go boom/bust there. Likes targeting injury guys, or players who are extremely good at some aspect but has an Achilles heel. Doesn’t exactly explain Richards and Tavon, but explains a lot of those guys. Whereas in the 4th round, he just wants players he knows can contribute in some way. If he just went with safer guys in the 2nd round rather than boom/bust, I’d like to think he’d have much better success. But who knows.

Ok I am gonna punt here.

We gonna trade up 46 and one 4th rounder for 39 with Carolina - Dawaand jones

Trade 76 and fifth rounder to broncos for 68 - Sam LA Porta/ any other TE

Trade 2 fourth rounders to get to 78 - best Player available.
I think they want to keep at least two fourth rounders for the K and P and one to trade down and get a fifth and a sixth.

Today I'm watching for guys like :
WR Josh Downs (North Carolina)
WR Johnathan Mingo (Ole Miss)
WR Tank Dell (Houston)
LT Tyler Steen (Alabama)
RT Dawand Jones (Georgia)
TE Darnell Washington (Georgia)
CB/FS Jartavius Martin (Illinois)
CB/FS Cory Trice (Purdue)
CB/FS Kelee Ringo (Georgia)
OT Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse)
OT Cody Mauch (North Dakota)

Today I'm watching for guys like :
WR Josh Downs (North Carolina)
WR Johnathan Mingo (Ole Miss)
WR Tank Dell (Houston)
LT Tyler Steen (Alabama)
RT Dawand Jones (Georgia)
TE Darnell Washington (Georgia)
CB/FS Jartavius Martin (Illinois)
CB/FS Cory Trice (Purdue)
CB/FS Kelee Ringo (Georgia)
OT Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse)
OT Cody Mauch (North Dakota)

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Mims, Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Trey Palmer and Matt Landers all have elite speed. Be fun to see where they end up.

Patriots legends Sebastian Vollmer, Jason McCourty, Fred Taylor, and Torry Holt will announce picks tonight. Also almost Patriots legend John Abraham.

It feels more like the 4th round picks help compensate for the brain farts in round 2. LOL. But yes the 4th round track record feels better than the 2nd round, even though that shouldn't be the case because you're literally picking later in the draft.
I think it makes us feel good because we were winning. Without that we cannot be banking on above average play from 4th rounders. Need to emulate the eagles or 49ers in terms of hitting home runs in draft. In retrospect now 2020 > 2021 > 2022. Maybe it takes few years to see the true effects.

Last edited:
I doubt they trade up... But if they do, I would like to go after the Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer... Kinda surprised buffalo went with Kincaid over Mayer... Be a really good start to day 2
Trying for their version of Kelce.

We need a Left Tackle, not another Right Tackle. Tonight.

Better Left-Tackle protection for Mac And another, better-than-what-he-has-now Weapon for Mac should be this organization's NUMBER A-****ING-SKIPPY-ONE PRIORITY. PERIOD.
OK, all well and good but who is there out there who fits that bill. Who is the sure shot LT worthy of using that draft capital Dawand Jones? The massive marginally athletic 375 - 400 lb RIGHT tackle. Who else is worthy Mauck? do you need a move up to get him?

Why move up when one of Mauch, Breeland, Bergeron, Mclendon will be there at 46 and Warren and and Duncan will be there in the 3rd or 4th. BJONES was he guy to get if LT was the ultimate priority and you thought HE was the guy and worth the 14th pick in the draft. Right or wrong the Pats decided the answer was no.

I'll be fine if the pick at 46 is an OT, but I'll be a bit pissed if they used that draft capital to get one. The group left now are all pretty much equal at this point. If they DO trade up, my belief it will be fore a TE, though my personal Binkey at the position is a guy we COULD get in the 4th, Zack Kuntz, but I'd be OK with Mayer or Washington or Kraft (without a trade down).

I’m high on the Mingo train for one main reason. I want to hear Troy Brown say “Mingo! I got Mingo!”. Isn’t that how everyone should set their draft boards?

Freeland should still be available at 46 and they wouldn’t have to move. He needs a lot of work and day 2 is a bit of a reach, but I’d wager he’s the one of the more athletic tackles in the draft.

We need a Left Tackle, not another Right Tackle. Tonight.

Better Left-Tackle protection for Mac And another, better-than-what-he-has-now Weapon for Mac should be this organization's NUMBER A-****ING-SKIPPY-ONE PRIORITY. PERIOD.

Can you NAME LT left in this draft that you feel confident starting this year?

Can you NAME LT left in this draft that you feel confident starting this year?

That's a good question. Starting this year? Not likely. I see a number of players I'd like to get into the pipeline and hope they develop when they're in the building, but sure-first, day-one LT starters go in the first round usually.

I agree. From reading War Games by Michael Holley a while back, my understanding is that Belichick views the 2nd round as a “Yeah, but” round - meaning players who could be first rounders, but for some red flag. He’s willing to go boom/bust there. Likes targeting injury guys, or players who are extremely good at some aspect but has an Achilles heel. Doesn’t exactly explain Richards and Tavon, but explains a lot of those guys. Whereas in the 4th round, he just wants players he knows can contribute in some way. If he just went with safer guys in the 2nd round rather than boom/bust, I’d like to think he’d have much better success. But who knows.
A perfect example of this second rnd philosophy would be Ras l Dowling

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back